To downgrade or not?

Welcome to CS :)
Lots of people could not afford a DSLR. Since you have it, why downgrade? Keep it & use it & make full use of it.
Everyone has to start somewhere. If you keep shooting, you'll find it easy to use & to understand more of photography, please pick up one or two books to read. I'm sure many of us here are willing to share their experiences. So you are not alone ;)

I've read through all the replies carefully and thought through it.

What was I thinking?

Actually, this was just the slap I need to get over my lack of confidence when it comes to DSLR (which by the way, was sponsored by my dad. I'm a little spoiled.) I will definitely do as you advice, which was basically, read more and shoot more. Ask more too. I borrowed a Scott Kelby from a friend just now and it's so much easier to understand than the hefty field guide I've been trying to understand.

The advice about starting with P, then working slowly up makes perfect sense.

Thanks, all. I knew voicing my concerns here would get me back on my feet! Your responses have been comprehensive, patient and only subtly condescending ;p Just kidding about that last part.

Very much appreciate everyone's answers. Will try to post pictures on CS for critique and help.

Congratulation dear!!
Not bcoz you stick to DSLR... but bcoz, you took the criticism and feedback in a positive manner and you decided firmly, like a man!
Trust me, you will comeback here after 6 months and will help your fellow CSer like what the seniors done to you today.
Keep it up and never feel ashamed to learn.. just ask here and you will be surprised with the amount of help here!!

(edited: Irrelevant message... )

Read up, don't be lazy! ;)

Last edited:
I am unable to understand a very simple thing .... what is the difference between "Auto" mode in P&S and DSLR?
Can anyone please help me?

Note : Please be clear that I am not criticizing anyone, neither I am 'at war' with some one. :D We are here to exchange our experience and learn from each other. and finally, lets not talk about whether you want a BMW (DSLR) to go to wet market? that's a different thing already.
:D
Same way, don't say that I have so many buttons and I am too tempted to press all the buttons ;p

You start with "Auto" mode, then slowly/gradually move to Av and Tv and then move to M. To me, mostly I use Av and it does most of the things for me. for those special cases, I use Tv and very rarely I feel urge to use M ...

i might get **** from people, but i've been on P for the last six months. M just pisses the hell out of me (when i mostly shoot bands and the lighting changes a whole bunch of f-stops when the lead singer walks out from the light from the front lamp..) and Av.... occasionally.

actually when i first started i stayed away from auto like the plague because the flash kept popping up all the time and i already knew that it would make it extremely overexposed. so what i did was read and whack at the settings. like literally. testing out what did what by changing apeture and shutter speeds, seeing the result, whether darker or lighter or such. then i googled a lot. for the OP, google and reading up is your best friend.

also, i don't think this is done enough, but just look at a lot of good photos, and see what you like. just keep looking at them everyday. i don't know how but that's how i got my composition, just by feeling. (maybe it's just me) think of how to achieve them. if you don't know how to achieve them google or ask clubsnap.

so OP's original question was whether to keep it? i say hang on a bit longer and keep trying. if not, get s s90 or a lx3. i actually really want a lx3, not gonna lie.

I've read through all the replies carefully and thought through it.

What was I thinking?

Actually, this was just the slap I need to get over my lack of confidence when it comes to DSLR (which by the way, was sponsored by my dad. I'm a little spoiled.) I will definitely do as you advice, which was basically, read more and shoot more. Ask more too. I borrowed a Scott Kelby from a friend just now and it's so much easier to understand than the hefty field guide I've been trying to understand.

The advice about starting with P, then working slowly up makes perfect sense.

Thanks, all. I knew voicing my concerns here would get me back on my feet! Your responses have been comprehensive, patient and only subtly condescending ;p Just kidding about that last part.

Very much appreciate everyone's answers. Will try to post pictures on CS for critique and help.

when i first saw your post, i was already thinking... this guy speaks good english but cant get over technical difficulties? must be not reading the books! then i saw nightmare's reply.
yea u should really read up on books. they help in understanding how dslr works.

I am no expert but i started off with manual mode and taking lots n lots of photos. till now i think my photos are still very normal nothing fantastic but at least i know what i need to do.
the very basic manual booklet u receive already gives u alot of information! go try it :)

i can't give my advice here, as i have not owned a DSLR at all.

I am currently using a prosumer that has P,S,A,M mode. Do read up on your camera's advanced and basic manual. Know your camera capabilities in theory, and you can get better shots.

I have read my camera's basic manual. Now trying to read my camera's advanced manual.

Having said that, i would suggest you to stick to your DSLR.

Oh by the by,

I'm a girl :p Somehow somewhere people started assuming I'm a guy!

Congratulation dear!!
Not bcoz you stick to DSLR... but bcoz, you took the criticism and feedback in a positive manner and you decided firmly, like a man!
Trust me, you will comeback here after 6 months and will help your fellow CSer like what the seniors done to you today.
Keep it up and never feel ashamed to learn.. just ask here and you will be surprised with the amount of help here!!

Apologies, when I said "like a man" ... I meant "with strong determination", it's a loose way of saying the same.

Anyway congratulation once again :D

Like all things we try to do, it's a long journey of ups and downs and turnarounds.
Like the seniors advised: Use P mode > shoot... change iso setting with P mode >shoot... Change wide balance >shoot... ...
Now use A mode and go thru the sequence again > shoot... >shoot...
Finally try manual... Use the P mode to check the exposure and taking that as a quide, use M mode change iso, shutter and f/ . shoot... >shoot... >shoot...>shoot...
Look at the works of others and read... That indeed will help a lot...

So... Should I downgrade to a prosumer before my frustration completely kills my interest?

Everyone gets frustrated at some point. Even the people who take photos for a living and every one who wants to improve.

Actually, this is not just limited to photography. I was frustrated with myself when I used to cycle. "Why can't I go as fast and as far as the rest even though I try so hard and my bike is just as good?!" I have a similar problem when it comes to playing the guitar... Yet another problem with audio equipment......

There've been times that I just put aside my DSLR and go back to shooting with something more "simple". Anyways, if you are still interested, you'd want to come back to your 40D again in the future.

It's just a hobby. So, if you can afford it, why not just keep your 40D and shoot with your PnS whenever you're frustrated? Someday when you have an image that will make you think "Wait, I know how I can take this better with my 40D...", you can grab your 40D and try again.