To consider Canon 18-55 IS or to get Tamron 17-55?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hv the sigma,but for nikon mount.
i loved it for the close range(20cm to focus) and being a marco len, it's very sharp.
it helps if u like to take pic of food,flowers etc.

i dun not hv problem with the paint peelin off and from what i hv seen(a over 1yrs old same len), there wasn't any sign of paint peeling.

the only comestic issue i hv is the front len cover.
it's hard to put it on/off if u hv the hood on.
i suggest u get the nikon 1 for it.72mm...
cos the front cover is like a fixed cover, dun hv the "handle bar" to remove or put on the len

to test the len, bring ur laptop n card reader along.
take the pic and view them on ur laptop to c if it's sharp.

the small lcd screen will not tell u much

you can check out rough prices in HK here:

www.ygdragon.net/index.php?page=photo/cameraprice.htm

well i do recommend doing your research and testing in SG first, then head to HK to test and check the difference. If its more worth it for you after comparison to get from Hk, then you can get it justified by all your research, and if it falls short, you can always return back to SG to purchase.

but i understand the itchiness in your heart when you have already started out a search to buy. so its the fight of the heart against the mind.

enjoy the struggle, then enjoy your lens!! ;)

hi since jaybaokong just came back from hk and check the price - 530, is it worth the saving of 100 to buy at hk? price in spore is bout 630 right? With 3 yrs warranty and more importantly, u can start practicing with it, so that u can take nice shots in hk already. u might need time to get to know the lens and the setting etc.

2nd point, if u had decided to get it at singapore already , y not try getting a 2nd hand 18-55mm IS to experiment first? personally , I feel that after using the kit lens, and you start to feel its limitation, then u will appreciate the Tamron more. I feel its still practicing stage for you. Y not practice using a kit first. :)

forget to mention, u can use the saving from Tamron to buy another 55-250 or 70-300mm if budget allows to complete the range. By the way, 18-55mm + 55-250 is the combination of a lot of brothers here. Believe u would have great fun with these 2 lenses already .

Last edited:
Hi, if u are looking at the EF 17-55mm f2.8 IS, which is quite exp, maybe u wanna take a look at the 17-40mm f4L. its much cheaper, light. you can get it quite cheap compared to the 17-55 :)

Sorry ShiNn, i was refering to the 17-50 from Tamron, pls pardon my typo.
Heard the 17-55 is very heavy. I wouldnt wan to carry a heavy load, exp when i am travelling.

I have recently got a Tamron 28-105 to test out wat i need actually. Before i head out to HK the following week to BBB. lol

Also heard that Tamron came out with a VC version of the 17-50.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0805/08051502tamron28-300.asp
Wah... tempting... Only thing is... haven launch yet when i go HK, hence cannot buy.
Very tempted to get a lens in HK actually, but haben set my mind which is the better deal...

Any comments over there?

Oh, thanks Vdaddy, also pretty paiseh to go to shops to try lens but dun know wat to buy ba. lol
Think i need more experience with shooting b4 i find out wat i need.
Hopefully the 28-105 helps a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.