TNP yesterday. Photography permitted??

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why our 'garment' still need to lay down a set of rules and regulations. Then it's very clear to everyone what can be done and what cannot.

Don't think it will ever happen.

(a) I for one would be really unhappy if our legislature decided to spend time in parliament to debate this as a national issue and pass laws - there are many more important things that can be done ahead of such laws.

(b) the odds of any judicial precedent being set is very low given the cost-benefit analysis.

I think the report illustrates clearly that if you want to get your way, you need to be willing to stand up for it properly. :thumbsup:

(i) Don't give up just because you are deterred by shopkeepers, security guards, etc. but don't be an arse about it either. There is a space for photographers
(ii) With enough persistence the space for photographers will open up in a systematic way. eg. Esplanada and National Library which have obviously by now thought through what their policy will be from now on.

Hope in the future forummers will read this report before asking questions. Else vince123123 will continue to be very busy fielding these sort of questions. haha

actually, a security officer/guard 's legal power of arrest is that of a private individual, like you and me. not more.

Last edited:
(ii) With enough persistence the space for photographers will open up in a systematic way. eg. Esplanada and National Library which have obviously by now thought through what their policy will be from now on.

the problem with this review in policy is, it is fine and dandy to review ones policy. but it is clear that whilst policies may be in place to allow for photographers to "operate" within reasonable limits, it is clear that the dissemination of information is not done properly. either that, or John didn't quite get the circular in his briefing notes/email and thus still exercise the same archaic rule.

That is why if you sense that this is the case, do not hesitate to ask the security guard to bring out the manager to come have a chat. That has worked for me many times before; not to mention a large number of times, they take so long to find the manager that the shoot has already finished by then.

the problem with this review in policy is, it is fine and dandy to review ones policy. but it is clear that whilst policies may be in place to allow for photographers to "operate" within reasonable limits, it is clear that the dissemination of information is not done properly. either that, or John didn't quite get the circular in his briefing notes/email and thus still exercise the same archaic rule.

actually is chijmes a private property wif public access also ?

It is my humble view that yes, it has the same status as a shopping mall.

actually is chijmes a private property wif public access also ?

That is why if you sense that this is the case, do not hesitate to ask the security guard to bring out the manager to come have a chat. That has worked for me many times before; not to mention a large number of times, they take so long to find the manager that the shoot has already finished by then.

HAHA are you serious! cool. but i still do think that, me being a youngster, still, they will tend not to listen whatever we say/explain. ):
only when adults pit with them then they will scared or what. aha :bsmilie:

now....that is a good one :thumbsup::thumbsup::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hahah yup, serious. Once you start to engage with them, you can see the looks of doubt cross over their faces, and that is when I take the opportunity to tell them "If you are not able to decide, maybe you can ask your manager to come out and speak to me".

And the rest is history :)

HAHA are you serious! cool. but i still do think that, me being a youngster, still, they will tend not to listen whatever we say/explain. ):
only when adults pit with them then they will scared or what. aha :bsmilie:

now....that is a good one

Unfortunately, the way laws are made, and how criminal laws in Singapore are prohibitive rather than permissive in nature, I don't think we will see any law saying "You can take photographs". To me, so long as there is no law which says I cannot, I am, in my own view, in the clear.

Hmm...good also. No law means my law. :bsmilie:

Everybody go down to Chinatown to take photo of that row of shop houses.
See how the shop owners react?

Jesus and his apostles were never accepted in their home towns 2000+ years ago.

Thanks mate. That's good stuff to re-emphasize what we already know. :thumbsup:

I just find it sick that we Singaporeans cannot even shoot our own mother/father land, while tourists can! :angry:

hey hey i went pagoda street on tuesday afternoon and the uncles and aunties didn chase me away! lol!

actually, a security officer/guard 's legal power of arrest is that of a private individual, like you and me. not more.

I was reading up on this topic and found this thread.

Is a security guard or security officer of a building or shopping mall allowed to arrest us, or are they only allowed to 'chase' us away?

I just find it sick that we Singaporeans cannot even shoot our own mother/father land, while tourists can! :angry:

Our father/mother's land/building/home sure can la ......

but garment's land ... i agree with you ....:bsmilie::sweatsm:

I was reading up on this topic and found this thread.

Is a security guard or security officer of a building or shopping mall allowed to arrest us, or are they only allowed to 'chase' us away?

Haha. They got the rights to arrest us, but as long as we do nothing against the law, they cant catch us. hee. only chase lor. i think. :D

Haha. They got the rights to arrest us, but as long as we do nothing against the law, they cant catch us. hee. only chase lor. i think. :D

fyi, security guards do not have the rights to arrest anyone. even if you did something criminal, they can only detain u till the cops get there.

Recently, while taking photo of a friend inside a shopping centre, I was told that I require a 'permit' to take photographs inside.

So when I ask the security guard to call out his manager, he got agitated and threatened to call the police as well as take down my particulars.

I am quite amused actually, but I left the place along with my other friends without any incident.

Recently, while taking photo of a friend inside a shopping centre, I was told that I require a 'permit' to take photographs inside.

So when I ask the security guard to call out his manager, he got agitated and threatened to call the police as well as take down my particulars.

I am quite amused actually, but I left the place along with my other friends without any incident.

most security guards dont know much abt the law so they try to intimidate u. nonetheless they are just doing their jobs.

can consider writing into the management if u want to shoot inside. i think they are pretty ok with it. can wave the permit in the SO face in the future as well. pretty cool.

Are you sure about that?

No... Security guards have no rights to arrest us or even confiscate any of our items.. They cannot even force us to delete the photos that we had taken...

Status
Not open for further replies.