This Chinese New Year going to Siem Reap

Status
Not open for further replies.
MLSK said:
You are the man with a great tip! Yes, I went to Angkor Wat thrice ...... and Angkor Thom twice. The Bayon is at Angkor Thom, and you have to get the famous Bayon picture framed by the windows .... let me search thru my pix and post it asap.

IMG_9189-for-web.jpg

One of my fav, taken at Angkor Thom's Bayon. Would have been better at setting sun time to avoid that contrasty & harsh look, but was happy with this one.

sgfriend said:
So, just get US dollars. Thanks. Electricity? Need to charge battery for D70s. Heehee.
We all need to charge something. You can easily find the information about the plugs and voltage in use in Cambodia by doing a search on the Internet. :)

sgfriend said:
Any nice makan place to recommend? Errr... tap water safe to drink?

The food at Mandalay Inn not bad. The burmese owner and his wife are very friendly too.

The food stalls at the side of the main road also not bad, esp the beef noodles. Yummy!
Don't forget to try the fruit juice with crushed ice. I had a different flavour everyday, sometimes two in a row. Oh...i miss the juice !!!

Oh I thought the water are not drinkable, so are the ice.

sgfriend said:
Oh I thought the water are not drinkable, so are the ice.

Oops....you're right. Not for everyone i guess... I also hesitate at first, but decided to try and then became addicted.:bsmilie: But i onli buy from the same stall all the time...:embrass:

But you're right that actually it's more advisable to drink bottled water there.

Pai seh for my "risky" recommendations on the juices...:embrass:

Ah_Seng said:
Oops....you're right. Not for everyone i guess... I also hesitate at first, but decided to try and then became addicted.:bsmilie: But i onli buy from the same stall all the time...:embrass:

But you're right that actually it's more advisable to drink bottled water there.

Pai seh for my "risky" recommendations on the juices...:embrass:
Never mind, just try on the last day. ;)

buy bottled water. anyway it is very convenience to buy water there. The kids or adults will run to you to sell their bottled water to you at US$0.50 each.

MLSK said:
You are the man with a great tip! Yes, I went to Angkor Wat thrice ...... and Angkor Thom twice. The Bayon is at Angkor Thom, and you have to get the famous Bayon picture framed by the windows .... let me search thru my pix and post it asap.

this is one place that I will happily visit again in future,.....

MLSK said:
IMG_9189-for-web.jpg

One of my fav, taken at Angkor Thom's Bayon. Would have been better at setting sun time to avoid that contrasty & harsh look, but was happy with this one.

Sorry, I have read the guidelines and still don't understand how to attached picture....can you advise?

vincenthau said:
buy bottled water. anyway it is very convenience to buy water there. The kids or adults will run to you to sell their bottled water to you at US$0.50 each.

USD0.50 for bottled water is expensive there... hehheh

Siem Reap is a great place to go but try as much as possible not to just visit the temples, they get very stale very fast, try going to the tonle sap, the villages if possible etc...

Also my advice to photographers is BRING A BACKPACK!! It's a real pain (and danger) to climb up and down the steep steps of the temples lugging a tripod, camera, camera bag. Trust me it's worth the investment.

Also, people there are very friendly, even the people who keep pestering you to buy 5 bracelets for $1, if you just smile and decline nicely then start to chat with them you will find out that they are just making ends meet, most of them are also kids so you can just chat with them ask them their name, etc etc.. Most of them are more than happy to just talk to you.

Also, I would recommend taking the tuk-tuk over any other forms of transport (car and motorcycle) as you can get some great photo opportunities from the tuk-tuk over any of the other two... Try to get a good tuk-tuk driver, ours were very friendly, we even spent New Years Eve at one of their houses in his village and had snake (yes snake) for dinner...

However, cambodia is a VERY dusty place so digital shooters becareful when you change lens...

Safety wise I never once felt unsafe while I was there and in Phnom Penh so don't worry about taking out all the big guns and lens, coz there are a lot of others there who are doing the same...

Yups, to those going there have a good trip, it's really a lovely place to visit.

If you want to preview the things you might see there (and in Phnom Penh) you can visit my gallery at www.studiov.com.sg/Cambodia

Thanks for the tip. Bought a computrekker. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.