Thinking of getting a Studio Backdrop paper.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanx for the suggestion!.. i didn't think of coloured gels..

but i tried with cheapo cellophane paper over my flash and shone it on white mahjong paper yesterday... Its very hard to get a even light even on a small piece of mahjong paper.. and furthermore the blue color i get looks "neon-ish"... Is there a correct way of doing it so that the background colour appears more "natural" ?

alternatively..I was thinking.. Can a dark backdrop, eg. a navy blue backdrop, double-up as a black one? By limiting the light reaching the backdrop and thus underexposing the backdrop, will a blue backdrop turn black in practice? :bsmilie: If possible, maybe I will get a white and a dark-blue since I cant afford too many.. haha

Appreciate any replies, or any referrals to online sites I can read up on lighting backdrop paper :).... can't seem to find anything on this topic.. Thanx!

it is possible to vary the density of the coloured b/g paper by over or underexposing it. to get black, i am not sure. factors to consider are light spillage, distance of subject from b/g,etc

but i tried with cheapo cellophane paper over my flash and shone it on white mahjong paper yesterday... Its very hard to get a even light even on a small piece of mahjong paper.. and furthermore the blue color i get looks "neon-ish"... Is there a correct way of doing it so that the background colour appears more "natural" ?

alternatively..I was thinking.. Can a dark backdrop, eg. a navy blue backdrop, double-up as a black one? By limiting the light reaching the backdrop and thus underexposing the backdrop, will a blue backdrop turn black in practice? :bsmilie: If possible, maybe I will get a white and a dark-blue since I cant afford too many.. haha

Appreciate any replies, or any referrals to online sites I can read up on lighting backdrop paper :).... can't seem to find anything on this topic.. Thanx!

Some possible reasons for your experiences is because generally gels work better on dark backgrounds than light ones. Try shooting on a black paper instead of a white paper.

As for even light, that's because your small flash's area of coverage is very small, that's why. However, even with big studio flashes, we also get light falloff - I normally use it for a creative effect instead of having to struggle with getting an even tone all through - it is possible, just need more flashes.

As for your black one, yes you can, however, if you have a small room, some light will inevitable spill over and you will get a very dark blue.

if you understand the Inverse square law of light. and a little about zone system.

you can light the background the way you want it.

if you understand the Inverse square law of light. and a little about zone system.

you can light the background the way you want it.

Thanx catchlights for the reply.... inverse square law of light.. understand only a bit .. :bsmilie:

One application I can think of in this case would be.. If I want the background to be black, place the light as close as possible to the subject, so that the light-to-subject distance is minimised with respect to light-to-background distance. This is so that with the subject properly exposed, the intensity of light at the background will be much lower and thus appear black.

But I was wondering.. is it achievable in practice? Under the constraints of space and such.. :bsmilie: Cos when I shoot "normally" with my muslin backdrop, the light from the strobe still can reach the backdrop.. Have not tried pushing the limits of space though..

Will go read up more on the inverse square law and zone system after my exams.. :sweat:

yes, make your light closer to your subject, you may darker your background a little.

for using color gel to color the background, mid tone gray background is the best,

if you want solid black background, use black velvet.

Why the thread now become rOnGrEn's thread? And knpan's topic?

:cry: is there a problem with me asking questions related to paper backdrop and backdrop colours in a thread titled "Thinking of getting a studio backdrop paper" when i am also thinking of getting a studio backdrop paper? (don't misunderstand..asking in a non-confrontational tone :bsmilie:)

I dont get the meaning of "why the thread now become rOnGrEn's thread"..care to enlighten in what way has this thread become mine?..this thread is still knpan's cos he started the thread.. though his last reply was 3 weeks ago.. I am merely participating in the thread.. If I have offended anyone by asking too much in a thread somebody else started.. I hereby apologise for crashing into this thread..

I think its always better to have open discussion in a forum where we r all here to learn...cheers :)

I'm wonder what's the problem too....

no problem as the more we discuss the better knowledge we absorb

I think most of the questions by knpan has been answered, anybody raise any questions about studio backdrop will get replies here too, and I think will help more people in this way.

My 2 rolls of backdrop paper just arrived... And they are quite heavy (in excess of 5kg each).. now need to find ways to hang them up... (though i have been advised by other bros its better get a proper support)..but no money to get proper support and stands.. :bsmilie:probably looking at wall brackets...

anyway just to update, I was quoted $190 for 2 rolls at ruby and $170 for 2 rolls at CP (different brands)... Ordered from CP on monday, arrived today (Friday). :D

My 2 rolls of backdrop paper just arrived... And they are quite heavy (in excess of 5kg each).. now need to find ways to hang them up... (though i have been advised by other bros its better get a proper support)..but no money to get proper support and stands.. :bsmilie:probably looking at wall brackets...

anyway just to update, I was quoted $190 for 2 rolls at ruby and $170 for 2 rolls at CP (different brands)... Ordered from CP on monday, arrived today (Friday). :D

Hmmmm.....i ordered 2 rolls from CP last sat and still it has not arrived at my place today...maybe they forgot about me...

Hmmmm.....i ordered 2 rolls from CP last sat and still it has not arrived at my place today...maybe they forgot about me...

Did they arrange a date for you and call you to confirm the delivery date? Monday they said either thus or friday, they called me yesterday to say will deliver today.

I heard them saying they only have one van left (the other van under repair), and delivery is by different areas.. Maybe your area not this week? :dunno: In anycase, do call them to check? :)

if you can, change the paper core of the background paper to a aluminum rod (I think is 2 1/2"), so the paper can last very long, and it won't wobble when you roll up and down.

Status
Not open for further replies.