Thinking of buying E330

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflecto

Sep 27, 2006
Singapore
Hi all, I've been looking around for a suitable dSLR for myself. After reading "most" of the camera review.. I'm sorta leaning on E330.
Would anyone holding onto one, be able to tell me what do you think of the camera after having it for a while. Some pros and con (I hope not) would be helpful in helping me decide.

But I will be going down to the shop to test it out. Just gathering some info so I can zoom in on them when i'm there testing the camera out.

p.s. is 1799 too much to pay?

TIA for the help!

OK! Let me try to answer this... i am a newbie too!

Well, i was contemplating between the E-330 & the E-500... then i decided to stick with the E-500, cos i din wanna pay the additional S$400 for Live View...

So far using the optical viewfinder has been alright, no big issue. For me at least... so u gotta decide for urself...

eh... body-wise: i feel that the 330 kinda hard to hold, maybe cos i got big palms... ;)

My 2 cents...

Anything wrong, pls feel free to correct me!

Cheers,
Eric ;)

Hmm.. yeah, I think the only difference between E500 and E330 would be the live-view and the flip up LCD display.

I kinda think it's nice that I would be able to do "weird" angle shooting with the flipping LCD.

Btw, after using the E500, do you ahve any problem with camera shake? I'm a bit concerned about this issue as I dun seem to have steady hands.. LOL

Hmm.. yeah, I think the only difference between E500 and E330 would be the live-view and the flip up LCD display.

I kinda think it's nice that I would be able to do "weird" angle shooting with the flipping LCD.

Btw, after using the E500, do you ahve any problem with camera shake? I'm a bit concerned about this issue as I dun seem to have steady hands.. LOL

Honestly... I dun think camera-shake is that big a problem with me... cos i primarily take photos of my baby boy...

I thought mechanisms like OIS/VR/IS etc etc was critical... then i thought again, basket, before all these "aids" were developed, pple were taking sharp photos like nobody's business... so i must "train" myself to be as competent lor... haha...

But i think that problem may be exacerbated when u use telephoto/zoom lenses? And i seldom do tat... but testing with my 40~150mm at full zoom created no "shake" as well... but then again, 150mm not exactly very "zoom-ed" also lah...

:sweat:

think of the antishake to be a bonus feature ba..

use a higher ISO or a higher shutter speed to counter, or use tripod! ;p

Hi all, I've been looking around for a suitable dSLR for myself. After reading "most" of the camera review.. I'm sorta leaning on E330.
Would anyone holding onto one, be able to tell me what do you think of the camera after having it for a while. Some pros and con (I hope not) would be helpful in helping me decide.

But I will be going down to the shop to test it out. Just gathering some info so I can zoom in on them when i'm there testing the camera out.

TIA for the help!

For E330, $1799 is not worth paying. Better worth paying for canon or nikon. Better ISO performance and wider range of accessories. Else go for the newly launch E400. Oly consume DSLR change model very fast in order to keep up in ther market. When new model is launch, old model price will be drop for clearence. E330 is no longer consider as new in Oly range. If you know what i mean.:)

Oh.. wat lens are you using now? the len kit that comes with the camera?

btw, what did the standard box comes with? Have not really find out about it.. *oops*

Hmm actually the 400D is going for 1688 i think.

think of the antishake to be a bonus feature ba..

use a higher ISO or a higher shutter speed to counter, or use tripod! ;p

The practical max for E-system cams is probably like ISO800. Above that you start getting a lot of ulgy blotches of chrominance noise. I was 'sold' on the initial marketing on the E-330's 'good' high ISO performance but sadly for me it kind of proved to be a letdown -more so with weird bands appearing in underexposed areas of high-ISO photos.

If you're into action shots you might want to consider cams with more than just 3 auto-focus points.

The Live-view is a godsend if you need it and to avoid back and neck aches but otherwise it's just an occasional-use feature. You'll want to depend more on the viewfinder for accurate focusing, especially in dim light when the Live-view turns black-and-white and very fuzzy.

Individual preferance lah. Blu got the E-330 not for anything but for the LiveView. Blu also lock down the ISO to 200 so noise is not a problem.

As for the banding, don't see it in RAW. Blu even shoot in the cam's D Image Stabalization mode. The shots may be grainy but then still better than any P&S. And if you don't need huge prints, the noise won't be a problem.

E-400 will not reach our shores. As for Oly's model change, Unlikely...E-500 already been around for a year and still no change. E330, out only this year. E1 still a pro choice. So what fast model change are you talking about??

The practical max for E-system cams is probably like ISO800. Above that you start getting a lot of ulgy blotches of chrominance noise. I was 'sold' on the initial marketing on the E-330's 'good' high ISO performance but sadly for me it kind of proved to be a letdown -more so with weird bands appearing in underexposed areas of high-ISO photos.

If you're into action shots you might want to consider cams with more than just 3 auto-focus points.

The Live-view is a godsend if you need it and to avoid back and neck aches but otherwise it's just an occasional-use feature. You'll want to depend more on the viewfinder for accurate focusing, especially in dim light when the Live-view turns black-and-white and very fuzzy.

Well, actually one can get more accurate focusing with Live-view! Of course when mounted on a tripod; zoom in 10x then manual focus. I've not tried it personally but an acquaintance that uses the E-330 it for his product shots tell me it's a godsend.

Where high-ISO noise is concerned, I've taken pretty decent photos at ISO1600 and 3200 with my E-1 without any noise removal post processing. Sure it looks noisy on your monitor, and especially when you zoom in and pixel peep; printed at A4 and A5 sizes and you hardly see the noise.

I've been told that running the high ISO images through a noise removal program pretty much makes the photo look like the competitions', but then again I've always been too lazy (some might say too cheapo to buy noise removal software) :devil:

For E330, $1799 is not worth paying. Better worth paying for canon or nikon. Better ISO performance and wider range of accessories. Else go for the newly launch E400. Oly consume DSLR change model very fast in order to keep up in ther market. When new model is launch, old model price will be drop for clearence. E330 is no longer consider as new in Oly range. If you know what i mean.:)

Change models very quick? I'm sorry but I have to agree with Blu on this, Oly DSLRs typically have an 18-24 month product cycle, way longer than the competition. The E-1 is currently doing a four-year cycle; it was released in 2003, new pro-body scheduled for 2007.

The E-330 would probably be replaced in 2007 as well, and should go the way of the E-400 i.e. smaller and lighter.

$1799 would probably be better spent on Canikon BODIES, but personally I'll spend it on Zuiko GLASS. :lovegrin:

TIA for the help!

If you can wait, and are interested in the E-system, my advice is to wait for 2007.

If you REALLY can't wait but still want to invest in the E-system, get a 2nd hand E300/500/330; don't go getting a brand new cam when there are brand new models on the horizon.

$1799 would probably be better spent on Canikon BODIES, but personally I'll spend it on Zuiko GLASS. :lovegrin:

Zuiko glasses are really that good huh?

i like to take really close-up shots and portraits of my baby boy...

what's a good lens(es) to buy? Sigma/Zuiko? Single focal?

Of cos i'm also planning for an Oly flash eventually...

:)

Hmm what about 1799 for E500 with dual lens kit?

Hmm what about 1799 for E500 with dual lens kit?

E-500 dual lens kit is going for S$1399... i got mine from Harvey Norman...

Which shop quote u S$1799 for that kit?

Black-list!!! :nono:

Oh... hmm.. maybe I should go HN for a look!

p.s. so did you buy the E500? any comments? I'm kinda looking at the Canon 400D too.. cos if it's 9 point AF..

Well, actually one can get more accurate focusing with Live-view! Of course when mounted on a tripod; zoom in 10x then manual focus. I've not tried it personally but an acquaintance that uses the E-330 it for his product shots tell me it's a godsend.

Where high-ISO noise is concerned, I've taken pretty decent photos at ISO1600 and 3200 with my E-1 without any noise removal post processing. Sure it looks noisy on your monitor, and especially when you zoom in and pixel peep; printed at A4 and A5 sizes and you hardly see the noise.

I've been told that running the high ISO images through a noise removal program pretty much makes the photo look like the competitions', but then again I've always been too lazy (some might say too cheapo to buy noise removal software) :devil:

Hmm. That might change -I might actually use more of that obscure 10x mag function in Live-view mode B since I just got myself the 35mm macro.

The noise issue affecting my E-330 (and some others too) is unique. Seems like some intermittent (though more frequent on mine) banding issue. Noise blotches clump together to form stripes across the picture and gets more obvious as you resize the picture smaller. Have tried the noise removal in Neat Image and Paint Shop Pro X and they work quite well on the 'regular' Oly noise but not these stripes/bands. Check out my thread at:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=224562

Oh... hmm.. maybe I should go HN for a look!

p.s. so did you buy the E500? any comments? I'm kinda looking at the Canon 400D too.. cos if it's 9 point AF..

Yeah... i bought the E-500... Having a bloody good time with it now... heh. Honestly, i cannot comment too much... :confused:

Cos i haven't even master the 3-point Auto-Focus of the E-500... i select only the Centre Spot AF lor... (not sure if i am using the right term...) FOR NOW lah... slowly slowly then learn how to utilise the other 2... heh... :bsmilie:

I heard that HN and AP @ Funan having about the similar package at the same price... but HN's extended 2yr warranty baited me lor... At 1399... if the cam can last me 3 yrs, good enuff for me liao...

I didn't take E330 cos i felt it was too small for my palms... THUS the 350D/400D din stand a chance at all... but with the optional batt grip, the 350D was NOT-TOO-BAD size-wise lah...

I'm a newbie to all this, so take my words as the gospel truth... just my own experiences and observations lah. :)

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.