The Unofficial Clubsnap Mac Users Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
any personal comments/reviews about the new iMac?

finally got to see and touch one physically yesterday. wasn't impressed with the screen at all...too reflective, easily smudged and somehow it feels 'smaller'. anyone has this problem?

cos i intend to use it as a screen for playing movies...won't be so ideal in daylight situation right? plus i heard the viewing angle is reduced.

finally got to see and touch one physically yesterday. wasn't impressed with the screen at all...too reflective, easily smudged and somehow it feels 'smaller'. anyone has this problem?

cos i intend to use it as a screen for playing movies...won't be so ideal in daylight situation right? plus i heard the viewing angle is reduced.

Personally I don't like glossy screens. As for the smudgy part, won't have to worry so much as I don't think normal people will touch their screens so often compared to the iPod Touch.

It's supposed to feel small. :bsmilie:

I thought I'd be bothered with the glossy reflective screen too... But once i started using it, it's totally non-noticeable, even when I turn on the lights in my living room, where the light is jus behind and above my back when i face the screen. I'd like to believe that the reflection issue has been a little over-hyped... ;) Don't miss out the fun from using it... :bsmilie:

Personally I don't like glossy screens. As for the smudgy part, won't have to worry so much as I don't think normal people will touch their screens so often compared to the iPod Touch.

the smudge might be a prob for me cos i frequenty turn the iMac to adjust viewing angle. cos i use it a lot as a personal entertainment centre. but luckily they provide a cloth just to clean the monitor :bsmilie:

it looks slim, but the screen feels smaller to me, esp when i compare my old 20" with the new 20". maybe optical illusion.

I thought I'd be bothered with the glossy reflective screen too... But once i started using it, it's totally non-noticeable, even when I turn on the lights in my living room, where the light is jus behind and above my back when i face the screen. I'd like to believe that the reflection issue has been a little over-hyped... ;) Don't miss out the fun from using it... :bsmilie:

i might have this potential problem..

my work table is next to the window. im afraid when im working during the daytime, the reflection would be too much to take, even if i draw the curtains.

then again..perhaps like u say, its a matter of getting used to.

cos im now torn between upgrading to the new iMacs....or getting a refurbished 24". parka has a very good offer on the new iMacs :D

can anyone advise what mac program can i use to convert avi to dvd, please? TIA

Not too sure about Mac programs which converts AVI to QT but since I am using 2 platforms (PC and MAC user), but I use Win AVI which runs smoothly. So if you have a PC, you might want to try this.

http://www.winavi.com/en/psp-3gp-mp4/ipod-video-converter.htm

The glossy displays are meant for things like playing movies so you'd probably be more happy with it. I'd not suggest it for editing photos at all, but for most of what a consumer wants, it's probably quite good.

The glossy displays are meant for things like playing movies so you'd probably be more happy with it. I'd not suggest it for editing photos at all, but for most of what a consumer wants, it's probably quite good.

hmm..yea..editing photos cld be a problem..colors look more vibrant than they actually are right?

hmm..yea..editing photos cld be a problem..colors look more vibrant than they actually are right?

Yes, so you think that the saturation is completely wrong and try to change it. I'm sure that a person could learn to use it and adjust their technique around it but I wouldn't try it. I'm using a PowerBook G4 display for my editing and I've worked everything out but that's the furthest I'll go.

Obviously, if you use a Windows-only laptop computer, you're more likely to be stuck with a glossy display. Even some standalone monitors are glossy, which will probably push matte finish displays to higher prices, unfortunately.

saw your site, there was one person who posted a question to to your sale. you want to reply to that question here as well?

saw your site, there was one person who posted a question to to your sale. you want to reply to that question here as well?

Thanks for the reminder. Strangely, my blogspot didn't email to notify of that question.

Anyway, answer to that warranty question:
If you don't buy the extra Applecare, you will not get Singapore's warranty coverage. The Applecare, in my opinion, is well worth it as a form of insurance. Laptop repairs are expensive.

Thanks for the reminder. Strangely, my blogspot didn't email to notify of that question.

Anyway, answer to that warranty question:
If you don't buy the extra Applecare, you will not get Singapore's warranty coverage. The Applecare, in my opinion, is well worth it as a form of insurance. Laptop repairs are expensive.

i'd highly recommend anyone to get Applecare. really gives a peace of mind, plus value-added to your Mac when you decide to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.