The Straits Times now 90 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be 10/20 cents to you but it adds up for some people.

Read online, extra 21% electricity bill.

if you don't like the paper, don't buy it.simple.
I still buy it, I like reading it.there are bad articles and some good articles too.
10 / 20 cents, sheesh...

Guess this is where all our extra 10 cents goes to... (this year's announcement due Oct 18, 2008, I am sure its another record profit)

SPH reports Full Year Net Profit of $506 million

SINGAPORE, 12 October 2007 – Singapore Press Holdings Limited (SPH) today reported its full year results for year ended 31 August 2007. Net profit was up 18.1% to $506.2 million compared to previous year’s $428.5 million which included an exceptional gain of $66.8 million. Operating profit* rose by 20.2% to $434.2 million.

No one is forced to buy newspapers. And frankly, with all the free papers and TV/radio news, I don't see why I should pay.

QUOTE <i have gotten by for four years in singapore not ever buying a copy of the times nor watching the local news or news from channel news asia more than maybe once or twice a month.

guys, it's rubbish. trust me, you don't need this paper. the journalism is below sewer level and as far as the local news and channel news asia goes, cnn, bbc, msnbc, even fox for cripes sakes are far better alternatives. if it increased 10 cents... save that 90 cents everyday because you are going to need it for either mrt or taxi increases. besides, the Internet gives you much much more in balanced viewpoints than does the st. save your 90 cents and see more of what the world has to say as opposed to only what the st wants you to know.>

Walau to slag people off as garbage ( below sever level) is abit OTT. Just because u think the paper sucks,dosen't make all those working there as 'sub-human or morons.Maybe u shd start a paper n show us some 'substance'.
BTW i don't work in the media

Heng har .... Singapore rank 144th in World Press Freedom Audit ...:sweat: oredi the price is $0-90!

sekali if rank top 10, the price would be at least $5 per issue? :bsmilie::sweatsm:

Job well done, SPH :thumbsup:

Anybody thinking of switching to International Herald Tribune? Credible news i must say

Solution : Read news online.

no,solution:

go library and read..

surely foc. but i'm sure ppl will have something to say about any solution

and go ahead and buy anyways.. so much for kb. but when upgrading camera, the sky's the limit. never mind that the change causes you to be unable to buy a few year's supply of newspapers.. that said.. to be fair, the standard of our free newspapers are way better than anything you can get here. you should see the london paper or london lite to get what i mean.

Last edited:
Dun complain lah !

Ppl angry liao ! :(

;), what's there to complain.
Some countries don't even have newspaper. Now you all have Newspaper to read still want to complain!

What is 10 cents increase? You people can buy "L" lenses and put it in dry cabinet, got no money to fork out the that extra few cents meh.

Same goes for ERP price hike, got money to own car, got no money to pay the tiny bit of ERP charges meh?

Look who is talking.:cool:

What is 10 cents increase? You people can buy "L" lenses and put it in dry cabinet, got no money to fork out the that extra few cents meh.

Same goes for ERP price hike, got money to own car, got no money to pay the tiny bit of ERP charges meh?

Look who is talking.:cool:

whatever you truly feel, that whole chunk of verse up there admittedly holds some truth.

or did you really perceive that it is possible to have an olympian utopian economy where every man has 2 mark d iiis, 2 nikon d3s, the whole set of l lenses and nikon super lenses.. and 20 point and shoots.. a house in bukit timah road with 20 maidservants.. 2 lambos and 1 ferrari..

i would dread to see such a country actually, but there are people who think such a thing possible. i think the xiao mei meis in such a country would die running around trying to find sugar daddies.. :bsmilie:

whatever you truly feel, that whole chunk of verse up there admittedly holds some truth.

or did you really perceive that it is possible to have an olympian utopian economy where every man has 2 mark d iiis, 2 nikon d3s, the whole set of l lenses and nikon super lenses.. and 20 point and shoots.. a house in bukit timah road with 20 maidservants.. 2 lambos and 1 ferrari..

i would dread to see such a country actually, but there are people who think such a thing possible. i think the xiao mei meis in such a country would die running around trying to find sugar daddies.. :bsmilie:

There will always be a last straw that breaks the donkey's back.

There will always be a last straw that breaks the donkey's back.

i have seen blatant begging in the streets in london right outside fine dining restaurants where the meals are extravagantly priced and filled with bankers celebrating yet another successful deal.

i think the same goes for new york, i have friends there who interned and got mugged after work in the subway because they weren't careful. i don't see anything broken, being broken, or going to be broken. what happens is a few strikes which serve zero purpose, just end up inconveniencing the poor people like the singaporeans (money smaller) who have to rely on basic services like postal services, bus, tube.. the only thing gained out of strikes here seems to be that the workers on strike get to take a few days off and have a good laugh about it. nothing is done in response 95% of the time to strikes.. which is why i do end up feeling that freedom of speech can be vastly over-rated. it doesn't matter a thing if you can yak and complain about anything you want, or protest in public - what matters more is whether the authorities are going to do the right thing, for the greater good.

i am not saying that the government should do nothing about the natural progression of a widening income gap, but to be objective, i haven't seen any city in the world who can avoid it. or found a reasonable solution to it. and the proposed solutions by the enlightened ones in our society, i.e. a heavy catch-all welfare system.. well just look at the carts that have weathered such paths, and i seriously do not think we should follow suit blindly.

Last edited:
see lah.. make pple more angry!! :bsmilie::bsmilie:

i have seen blatant begging in the streets in london right outside fine dining restaurants where the meals are extravagantly priced and filled with bankers celebrating yet another successful deal.

i think the same goes for new york, i have friends there who interned and got mugged after work in the subway because they weren't careful. i don't see anything broken, being broken, or going to be broken. what happens is a few strikes which serve zero purpose, just end up inconveniencing the poor people like the singaporeans (money smaller) who have to rely on basic services like postal services, bus, tube.. the only thing gained out of strikes here seems to be that the workers on strike get to take a few days off and have a good laugh about it. nothing is done in response 95% of the time to strikes.. which is why i do end up feeling that freedom of speech can be vastly over-rated. it doesn't matter a thing if you can yak and complain about anything you want, or protest in public - what matters more is whether the authorities are going to do the right thing, for the greater good.

i am not saying that the government should do nothing about the natural progression of a widening income gap, but to be objective, i haven't seen any city in the world who can avoid it. or found a reasonable solution to it. and the proposed solutions by the enlightened ones in our society, i.e. a heavy catch-all welfare system.. well just look at the carts that have weathered such paths, and i seriously do not think we should follow suit blindly.

Some people’s aspiration is to be a professional beggar and begging outside a posh restaurant is a wise choice.
Remember a Singaporean call Madam Jin Pei Mia, her $900 earning vs a maid earning $300. Who is better off at the end of the day.
She is not asking for welfare, but just compensates her fairly for the grubby job she has to do.

Some people’s aspiration is to be a professional beggar and begging outside a posh restaurant is a wise choice.
Remember a Singaporean call Madam Jin Pei Mia, her $900 earning vs a maid earning $300. Who is better off at the end of the day.
She is not asking for welfare, but just compensates her fairly for the grubby job she has to do.

so what is your judgement of the people who aspire to be a professional beggar?

frankly speaking, i don't think the issue here is maids. besides, a maid doesn't just "earn $300", the family she is attached to provides shelter (think equivalent rent), food, and utilities. some even provide handphones, etc.

but seriously speaking anyhow - what is your point being made in the above post? i see no point in it, it seems like beating about the bush to me.

Wah, if never visit here dunno the price already 90cts.

Malu lah everyday newspaper delivered at doorstep but dunno price increase :embrass:.

Aiyah why complain, just pay lah. Singapore what?, what to do? But the electricity bill hike will hurt my pocket more as already my monthly bill avg $220.

That one needs to change usage habit.

Aiyah why complain, just pay lah. Singapore what?, what to do?
haha ..... typical Singaporean :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

no wonder everythings can just go up, up and up without any complaints :bsmilie:

ya, ya .... never mind la, just pay .... what to do? I can easily afford all these increases with my first-world salary (another typical Sinkie's thought) .......:sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.