The Pentax K1 Thread! - Post all your K1 picts and impressions

i have a couple of da* lenses (1650 & 50135), are they usable? also those photos i seen in this post, are they all taken with a ff lenses or with crop mode in the k1?

Most of the lenses in here are FF lenses. The 10-20 from Sigma is a crop sensor lens.

There is a table in the link to show which lenses are compatible.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums...9-da-lenses-full-frame-test-shots-thread.html

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...

SMC Pentax-DA zooms...

Sigma K mount DC...

• Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
Tamron K mount Di-II...

Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums...ll-frame-test-shots-thread.html#ixzz4nBPgfyAy

So the 16-50 & 50-135 are not usable in FF mode but in crop mode.

Last edited:

[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

thanks felix for the wonderful explanation and link. guess i will need to replace my da* lenses if going for k1. btw what about smc lenses like M50 f1.7 and 70210 f4?

[/FONT][/COLOR]

thanks felix for the wonderful explanation and link. guess i will need to replace my da* lenses if going for k1. btw what about smc lenses like M50 f1.7 and 70210 f4?[/QUOTE]

These are all fim era lenses so are FF lenses.

thanks felix for the wonderful explanation and link. guess i will need to replace my da* lenses if going for k1. btw what about smc lenses like M50 f1.7 and 70210 f4?[/QUOTE]

If you are comfortable with your da lenses, buy the Pentax KP.
Hee... No need to reinvest and replace.

smc lenses like M50 f1.7 and 70210 f4 are old lenses and as felix mentioned, its full frame

[/FONT][/COLOR]

AFAIK, Maverick had the DA* lenses you mentioned and have tried it on FF (digital).
I can't recall what his findings were though.

Typically, it will be that at the shortest of the zoom range of the lens, it will vignette (this is physical limitation of the image circle and can't be compensated)
Often, at the longer/longest end of the zoom, it might just clear off from the vignette, though it is not necessarily a guarantee of good IQ at the edges.

All said, if you want to go FF with the K1, its better to get FF lenses to make full use of the image circle.
However, even in crop mode, the K1 output is still 15mp which is close to what you get from your current apsc camera.

the price mostly. And also since i'm going FF, i'm contemplating on a Sony system haha.

I am a Nikon guy FWIW and just about the only other camera I would buy would be a K1. Maybe a Leica if I won the lottery or something. My reasoning can be summed up in one word - glass. Please understand I like all of them Sony, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, etc. I would save until I could have the K1 if I were you. It truly is one of those 'the only camera you'll ever need' kind of cameras. It will be a cult classic for sure.

Last edited:
just curious, do you bring your k1 overseas when on holiday or you still keep your previous camera and bring it to overseas?

just curious, do you bring your k1 overseas when on holiday or you still keep your previous camera and bring it to overseas?

Of course I use my best camera ;)

should be quite a load on your neck if your k1 also come with the battery grip. not to mentioned the lens weight.

should be quite a load on your neck if your k1 also come with the battery grip. not to mentioned the lens weight.

Actually never.
I cross sling my camera (not hang it on my neck like Lex Luthor hanging that Kryptonite on Supermans neck) ;)

Battery grip?
Very last year, imo (unless you take a lot of portrait orientation hand held where the extra shutter release button comes in useful).
Todays cameras have enough battery juice to last for many shots (usually 2days+ each).

I still recall giving up the sport after the birth of my daughter, and within the blink of the eye, its her doing the activity in my place now.

20170806-IMGP9425 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+F*300/4.5

Last edited:
I still recall giving up the sport after the birth of my daughter, and within the blink of the eye, its her doing the activity in my place now.

20170806-IMGP9425 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+F*300/4.5

Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight
There moves a thread that has no end.
Robert Plant

I saw this on flickr today scrolling through the feed. I stopped on it for a brief moment wondered if you used the K1...now I know. :) Wonderful portrait sir.

Last edited:
Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight
There moves a thread that has no end.
Robert Plant

I saw this on flickr today scrolling through the feed. I stopped on it for a brief moment wondered if you used the K1...now I know. :) Wonderful portrait sir.

Thanks.
The lens has been under utilized for quite a while as I've not been to the zoo as often as I'd like.
But I've started to use it more often now for portraits.