The Night Life at Orchard

Status
Not open for further replies.

allstar

Jul 1, 2007
Woodlands
simplyshoes.blogspot.com
Just some pictures I shot at Orchard Yesterday Night.

2052067257_e8c99264fb.jpg

2052067035_d2c1138e89.jpg

2052067773_80b8b7555b.jpg

Enjoy them. =D

Personally i feel that there`s no point of focus in your photos,you seem to be trying to cram too many things into your pictures and it becomes too cluttered, eg pic 1 and pic 2 looks more like a snapshot,i couldn`t tell u were trying to capture the people,the lights or the moving traffic. Btw pics 1 and 2 look underexposed as well,perhaps u could try setting up ur tripod nearer to the road n capture the lights and moving traffic.Juz my 2 cents. Anyway no worries shoot more and you will do better!! :)

Personally i feel that there`s no point of focus in your photos,you seem to be trying to cram too many things into your pictures and it becomes too cluttered, eg pic 1 and pic 2 looks more like a snapshot,i couldn`t tell u were trying to capture the people,the lights or the moving traffic. Btw pics 1 and 2 look underexposed as well,perhaps u could try setting up ur tripod nearer to the road n capture the lights and moving traffic.Juz my 2 cents. Anyway no worries shoot more and you will do better!! :)

Totally agreed. Just need more practise and try to understand what is it that you are trying to capture inside the photo. :D

what the others have already said; there are two ways to improve:

1) learn how to compose mess into order. this one is probably quite hard, needs a lot of trial and error

2) keep it simple. this is much easier. just find something interesting. FOCUS ON IT. make sure you leave out as many distracting elements as possible. move around. squat down, tiptoe.. you will find something that works eventually.. only a matter of time and light.

do try to shoot before it gets totally dark.

call me old school, old fashioned, senile or what, night scene are usually not taken at night but rather the transaction between day/night, usually around 1920 - 1935.

but must give him some credit. quite brave to actually place your tripod right smack in the middle of the heart of orchard road. ;)

p.s: you did use a tripod right.? :dunno:

do try to shoot before it gets totally dark.

call me old school, old fashioned, senile or what, night scene are usually not taken at night but rather the transaction between day/night, usually around 1920 - 1935.

it depends on the lighting situation.. but yes, if we must include the sky, then your rules will apply, imho. just my 2 cents.
but must give him some credit. quite brave to actually place your tripod right smack in the middle of the heart of orchard road. ;)

p.s: you did use a tripod right.? :dunno:
hahahaha. considering traffic trails and moving people..

i'd say he must be robocop with an inbuilt tripod installed if he didn't use tripod.. or at least some form of brace.

Thanks for your advice guys. But personally, that was what I wanted to capture. I don't think every picture should be shot with the same exposure or setting. Gotta try and be different sometimes. I even took some pictures standing smack in the center of the road but it just isn't as nice as those I posted.

Btw, why is it underexposed?

Thanks for your advice guys. But personally, that was what I wanted to capture. I don't think every picture should be shot with the same exposure or setting. Gotta try and be different sometimes. I even took some pictures standing smack in the center of the road but it just isn't as nice as those I posted.

Btw, why is it underexposed?

Coz i feel near the bottom of pic 1 and pic 2 its quite dark,can make out any details or maybe u meant it that way? :think:

Near the bottom? You mean the floor area? Meant to be like that. Well, I just prefer to leave everything to what I see. ISO I was using was also very low, considering the lightings of the situation.

Near the bottom? You mean the floor area? Meant to be like that. Well, I just prefer to leave everything to what I see. ISO I was using was also very low, considering the lightings of the situation.

as for adhering to rules or breaking them is and always will be a hotly contested topic.

my opinion is, before breaking the rules, one must at least ve a good appreciation of them.

to quote Bruce Lee,

"before i learn the art, a kick is jus a kick, a punch, jus a punch. after i learn the art, the kick is more than a kick, a punch, more than a punch. now that i mastered the art, a kick is jus a kick, a punch, jus a punch"

a for u wanting to "leave everything to what i see", er, aint photographers supposed to be selective, using the camera/lens as tools to frame, to express reality according to wat he/she has in mind?

and i am sure your eyes dun see ppl moving as blurs. but a slow shutter speed will render them as such.

so, is this reality? to me, both YES and NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.