The new Sigma 85mm 1.4 for Pentax

Bro, I knew you'd be one of the first to get the Sigma 85mm. As usual, your model shots are just great. :thumbsup:
This Sigma is definitely on my wish list but unfortunately, a local shop just told me that Sigma Singapore WILL NOT bring in this lens in Pentax mount locally.
Guess they can't match prices overseas so they can't be bothered to make it available... Idiots!
Personally I think the Sigma 85 is a lot more desirable than the FA 77 Limited... :sweat:

Thanks Dennis. How did you guess that I will be one of the first few? :bsmilie:

Yeah, don't understand Sigma S'pore logic. The price for all the different mounts in the U.S. are the same. The local price for say the Canon mount is $1420 IIRC. The price I paid for mine works out to be about the same as that. So unless they are comparing to HK :dunno: I think maybe they don't thionk there is much demand.

My early impression of the Sigma is very good. Will do a few more comparisons with the FA77 in the coming weeks but I am already much more confident shooting wide open with the Sigma compared to the FA77.....

No full body shots ? Thats where the 77mm will struggle to match the 85... else 77mm is as good as the 85... and i like the 77mm rendering better...

Agree with flowerpot, the f1.4 is not so obvious (or desirable) for head and shoulder shots but for full body shots it is really nice to have.

Wow guys, full body shot at F1.4 very difficult to get right, you know ?:sweat: Will need to look through the files to see whether there is one worth showing ....

Thanks. I have been eyeing this lens ever since it's release.....

wow nice shot. beautiful models. especially the last one =)

Ha ha. Yes, I know you like. Here is one more of Catherine ;)

IMGP4226.jpg

Agree with flowerpot, the f1.4 is not so obvious (or desirable) for head and shoulder shots but for full body shots it is really nice to have.

No full body shots ? Thats where the 77mm will struggle to match the 85... else 77mm is as good as the 85... and i like the 77mm rendering better...

hi does it means that for full body shots, the subject isolation ability of the 85mm is much better than the 77mm? is there any full body shots at f1.4 and f1.8 where i can see the comparison? thanks

hi does it means that for full body shots, the subject isolation ability of the 85mm is much better than the 77mm? is there any full body shots at f1.4 and f1.8 where i can see the comparison? thanks

I will try to do a comparison this weekend and post the results ....

I will try to do a comparison this weekend and post the results ....

wow thats mean there are more model shots after this wk ? cool ... hehehehe
Zoom normally how far did you need to stand away from the model / subject for a half body shots.

wow thats mean there are more model shots after this wk ? cool ... hehehehe
Zoom normally how far did you need to stand away from the model / subject for a half body shots.

You should try to join one of the photoshoots on the weekend :bsmilie: There are plenty to choose from. It's a lot of fun, great way to learn and meet lots of new friends ;)

As for the shooting distance, it's around 4m if shooting in landscape orientation and say about 3m in portrait.

Ok will try it since I just got a 77

Wow long time never login saw this thread and this lens makes me...... No words to say except thumbs up.

Sorry guys. Didn't manage to do a side by side comparison with the FA77. Next time...

But I have some full body shots to share. Not the best as I am still learning the characteristic of this lens. Do let me know what you think. Thanks.

BTW, these 2 models are TALL!

IMGP4670.jpg

IMGP4764.jpg

Last edited:
@zoom3, love your second shot!
She totally pops out from the photo!

Sorry guys. Didn't manage to do a side by side comparison with the FA77. Next time...

But I have some full body shots to share. Not the best as I am still learning the characteristic of this lens. Do let me know what you think. Thanks.

BTW, these 2 models are TALL!

IMGP4764.jpg

I like this shot. Seems to be a better lens on crop. My only concern when I tried it on Canon FF was the color but it seems to be more pleasing on Pentax. You have both the 77 Ltd and this lens, which do you prefer and why?

Mind sharing?

Nothing special here. Simply positioning the model strategically in the light against a darker background. Spot metering. I find the K5 produce great results under such conditions :thumbsup: