The New Paper NEW FACE 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully agreed synapseman, u know me? haha your closest neighbour at work. See u at New Paper New face 2006 photo shoot when the time comes.

For a person to shoot video to make it looks STILL, that person is :thumbsd: , but for a person who shoots STILL and makes it look like "motion" or "full of energy", that is :thumbsup: Personally, I prefer still pictures... It is easier to share compared to videos. No doubt, videos can have animations, sounds, musics etc to enhance it when presenting, but that doesn't meant that videos are better than pictures... Pictures are easier to present because they can be printed out to whatever size (of course, resolution sets in), easier to share, can be a "hard copy".

Shooting at 30fps or 20fps, whatever, and taking out a frame or two, not very impressive... Similarly, 1D MarkII can shoot like 8.5fps. In sports photography, you want that moment... But who says a 2.5fps camera can't catch that moment? One just need to know when to hit the shutter... One shot one kill more powerful or you shoot blindly and hope that you got one good picture?

Note that only those PnS or prosumer cameras got the function to shoot video clips but not in DSLRs. Similarly, in normal DV cam, you can shoot still pictures but not on a professional video cam. Motion pictures and still pictures are totally different... especially at professional levels... Apple and orange again...

Here's more of my biased opinion...
A video is a video, making them into like still pictures is definitely a no-no :nono:. They should be presented as what they are and not the other way round (eg: taking a frame or two out and use them as still pictures). If you have sound recorded or added musics, when presenting, you will need audio support or the video will not be able to show its fullest.

PIctures on the other hand can be presented as individuals, made into a photo album or sketchbook, sticker prints, put in Macromedia Flash (you can add sounds and musics too!), wallpaper in you computer etc... both hard copy and digitals have infinite possiblilities

OK, let's not make this thread into a still photography vs video, shall we? Each has its own (very strong) merits, as proven in our everyday lives when we read the papers and magazines and watch TV and movies. I can't imagine a life w/o either of the two. Chill, yo. :cool:

Now back to the TNP New Face: Looking at the website, I'm not sure who I really like. Maybe CJ, maybe Li Ying? Some of the faces look really familiar, though.

OK, let's not make this thread into a still photography vs video, shall we? Each has its own (very strong) merits, as proven in our everyday lives when we read the papers and magazines and watch TV and movies. I can't imagine a life w/o either of the two. Chill, yo. :cool:

Now back to the TNP New Face: Looking at the website, I'm not sure who I really like. Maybe CJ, maybe Li Ying? Some of the faces look really familiar, though.
Ya, this IS a photography forum, not a bombing forum...

Not sure who you like? Funny... that means you like all lah... :bsmilie: haha... me supporting CJ (Maxim girl @ Bike Fest) :cheergal:

Ya, this IS a photography forum, not a bombing forum...

Not sure who you like? Funny... that means you like all lah... :bsmilie: haha... me supporting CJ (Maxim girl @ Bike Fest) :cheergal:

If I may be so brazen and politically-incorrect (and frank!), I say the one with the largest melons would get my erm, support.

Just like our Miss Singapore Universe representative. Heck, I even forgot her name, but I'll never, ever forget that orange bikini! :lovegrin:

(And yes, I do realise the irony of my statement since this a New FACE competition. Sorry lah, but that's just me. :D )

If I may be so brazen and politically-incorrect (and frank!), I say the one with the largest melons would get my erm, support.

Just like our Miss Singapore Universe representative. Heck, I even forgot her name, but I'll never, ever forget that orange bikini! :lovegrin:

(And yes, I do realise the irony of my statement since this a New FACE competition. Sorry lah, but that's just me. :D )
New Face leh... Talking about faces...

:kok: you... :sticktong Jade Seah should win lor... That MSU champ BIG deal? I think she got the Miss body beautiful for the same reason also... Miss Photogenic :hammer: Miss body beautiful...

so its this event free or need to get invitation?! where do we get the invitation if needed..

If it's anything like last year, then the seated areas are for invited guests only. I think people who are connected to the hosts/contestants/sponsors/TNP, etc. Not so sure lah.

But there will be plenty of free standing room outside the cordoned areas, albeit quite far to shoot unless you got a 300mm lens.

If it's anything like last year, then the seated areas are for invited guests only. I think people who are connected to the hosts/contestants/sponsors/TNP, etc. Not so sure lah.

But there will be plenty of free standing room outside the cordoned areas, albeit quite far to shoot unless you got a 300mm lens.
Nvm, we wait until the event end, then request for TFCD with the girls... :bsmilie:

For a person to shoot video to make it looks STILL, that person is :thumbsd: , but for a person who shoots STILL and makes it look like "motion" or "full of energy", that is :thumbsup: Personally, I prefer still pictures... It is easier to share compared to videos. No doubt, videos can have animations, sounds, musics etc to enhance it when presenting, but that doesn't meant that videos are better than pictures... Pictures are easier to present because they can be printed out to whatever size (of course, resolution sets in), easier to share, can be a "hard copy".

Shooting at 30fps or 20fps, whatever, and taking out a frame or two, not very impressive... Similarly, 1D MarkII can shoot like 8.5fps. In sports photography, you want that moment... But who says a 2.5fps camera can't catch that moment? One just need to know when to hit the shutter... One shot one kill more powerful or you shoot blindly and hope that you got one good picture?

Note that only those PnS or prosumer cameras got the function to shoot video clips but not in DSLRs. Similarly, in normal DV cam, you can shoot still pictures but not on a professional video cam. Motion pictures and still pictures are totally different... especially at professional levels... Apple and orange again...

Here's more of my biased opinion...
A video is a video, making them into like still pictures is definitely a no-no :nono:. They should be presented as what they are and not the other way round (eg: taking a frame or two out and use them as still pictures). If you have sound recorded or added musics, when presenting, you will need audio support or the video will not be able to show its fullest.

PIctures on the other hand can be presented as individuals, made into a photo album or sketchbook, sticker prints, put in Macromedia Flash (you can add sounds and musics too!), wallpaper in you computer etc... both hard copy and digitals have infinite possiblilities

With the advent of technology, it is easier to share videos than ever. South Korean households had 100 Mbit internet connections long ago, and Singapore is also moving in that direction. With 100 Mbit internet connection, it becomes easy to stream multimedia over the internet. As we move into 1000 Mbit internet connection, it becomes even easier.

Presenting videos? No problem. All you need is a laptop with a DVD drive. And portable DVD players with LCD screens are now very common for you to watch videos on the road. Such a device would cost $400. There are also many devices like PSP and DivX players which allow you to watch movies on the move.

File serving on internet servers also gets easy with ever increasingly affordable and powerful computers. It is relatively inexpensive to set up a Quad Opteron server with 16 GB of main memory and SCSI or fiber channel harddrives. The only killer is paying for a dedicated line.

CD-R technology is now obsolete. DVD technology is slowly being phased out. Over the next few years, we will see Blu-Ray Discs which could store up to 200 GB per disc (8 layers). Blu-Ray discs look like a DVD disc on the exterior, but it has a much higher capacity. Why the higher capacity? Hollywood movie studios want to store High Definition movies.

We are now in a state of transition to HDTV and HDV era.

As with regards to printing, I find papers very space wasting and troublesome. Personally I would like to digitize every document in the future and archive them digitally. With internet photo albums, there is hardly any need to print. You could find internet connection almost everywhere, and with a web browser, you could browse your photo albums any time.

Finally, screenshots are useful in showing the contents of a movie, like an index or storyboard. It is not the purpose of an amateur to take videos only to make screenshots or stills. Screenshots only provide an insight into the movie. Thus, it is not compulsory to take screenshots at all.

You could observe that The New Paper of the Republic of Singapore is presenting its NEW FACE 2006 contestants in both still photos and short multimedia video clips.

I rest my case here.

shooting outside along the barrier will be a big compromise. You will need a zoom of around 300mm and beyong for a half body shot and the flash may or may not be sufficient. The light fall off on stage will be dim when it reaches the camera sensor. There will be a big turn out and you need ladders at the back. Try to get lobang to get in. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.