The new ipad

Let me see if it's possible to whip up a simple proof of concept.

Just a little update to this portion that I have mentioned awhile ago. Indeed with some research and also trying out, the iOS device do not honour the ICC profile, not only in the browser but also the framework. Pity.

Further research allow me to incorporate a Colour Management C library used by the Linux platform, named LittleCMS into the iOS platform. I have managed to perform colourspace transformation and have managed to tweak the output based on the input profile and also output profile.

Here should you operate on sRGB, your input profile will be sRGB and your output profile will be the calibrated ICC profile for iPad. The input profile can also be the embedded ICC profile from some of the file formats such as JPEG and TIFF, but I have for the meantime avoided the extraction of ICC profile from the JPEG first to simplify the process.

However bad news is it's not easy to extract out the ICC profile for iPad without some aid from the colorimeter vendor. I have used air display to mirror my mac with the iPad and attempt to extract out the ICC profile against the iPad display, however, the calibration process is more complicated than I have anticipated. It involves changing the white point of the graphic card, I believe via the LUT, which do not affect the iPad display via the Air Display App.

As I am using a older generation Spyder2Express which doesn't work with the SpyderGallery at all, so it's a road block at the moment to proceed further testing. I did enquire from DataColor regarding producing a ICC profile for the iPad using the SpyderGallery App, but their response is it doesn't generate any ICC profile. I'm sure they can, seems like they decided not it.

So at the moment, I'm stuck with an iOS application with the framework to perform colour management, but cannot proceed further because there is no easy way to calibrate and produce a ICC profile for the iPad screen. If anyone here have any contribution to this aspect, then the research can continue.

Out.