The Logic of L-itis

Status
Not open for further replies.
goering said:
From your description it appears to be the 135/2. How did you find this lens -especially wide open?

The lens is pretty sharp and fast. I just used this lens for the Woodgroove primary school trip to Pasir Ris Resort. :D

You can refer to this thread for photos I taken with this lens.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=77027

majere2sg said:
The lens is pretty sharp and fast. I just used this lens for the Woodgroove primary school trip to Pasir Ris Resort. :D

Wah 135/f2L sia. Also my "dream lens". :sweatsm: Good choice, its a great lens.

sequitur said:
i mean yes with L lens there's weatherproofing and all that, but frankly speaking, how many people carry their lenses into extreme conditions ? like for me, i hardly ever leave singapore, so i probably don't really need any weatherproofing stuff (no point risking soaking my camera equipment in rain either)

let's say you're on a holiday on a beach on a deserted island and the scenery are just great and you wanna take photo (dust) and suddenly it rains and there is no shelter around (water)... the environmental dadadada stuff... came in handy in unforseen situation...

sequitur said:
one of the reasons i'd pay big money for L lens would be optical quality. i think that should be the primary reason why people buy lenses anyway, not for show but for quality. if you can find a lens that surpasses the quality of the L but is cheaper, go ahead and get it. you'll save a lot of money.
Like the 50/1.8 which is optically very good. And once you get used to this particular lens, you start the L fever coz most other consumer lenses look soft or colors are not that contrasty or whatever.

Cheaper L lenses ? The 70-200/4 and 17-40/4 are quite a buy for what you get.

freelancer said:
Like the 50/1.8 which is optically very good. And once you get used to this particular lens, you start the L fever coz most other consumer lenses look soft or colors are not that contrasty or whatever.

Cheaper L lenses ? The 70-200/4 and 17-40/4 are quite a buy for what you get.

RossChang - if that happens my camera would probably spoil already, so even if the lens is waterproofed, the camera is dead, the trip is gone ? :)

hmm.. i do have both the f/4s that you mentioned. but seriously, at this point of time, i'm considering trading in the 17-40 for non-L, larger aperture primes with equal optical quality. but that's just a thought. for optical quality, the 17-40 is superb. aperture wise that's the limit though.

somehow i'm starting to find wide angle zooms not especially useful, coz it's after all just a few steps away. and i hardly zoom my 17-40 also, usually i just shoot it at 17mm. somehow framing a fixed focal length lens is becoming a little easier than i thought... :think:

The other bug to watch out for is the L Prime bug.

Not satisfied with just the zooms, I've ventured into the primes. Got one and now checking out the 35/1.4, hear it's a tack sharp piece of glass which any self respecting prime user must have in his/her collection. Any ideas?

Terence said:
The other bug to watch out for is the L Prime bug.

Not satisfied with just the zooms, I've ventured into the primes. Got one and now checking out the 35/1.4, hear it's a tack sharp piece of glass which any self respecting prime user must have in his/her collection. Any ideas?

Wah. Heard Kenghor is getting one from B&H. U may wish to check with him. Man its making me drool again with all these primes. ;p

Jeff said:
Wah. Heard Kenghor is getting one from B&H. U may wish to check with him. Man its making me drool again with all these primes. ;p

BH is selling it for about US$1100 plus shipping. Hang around the forums and one will come up for sale eventually.Should be able to pick up a nice used one for about US$900 or so. And knowing KH, he will probably sell it off in a few months. There'll be vultures waiting around to pick up the pieces.

sequitur said:
somehow i'm starting to find wide angle zooms not especially useful, coz it's after all just a few steps away. and i hardly zoom my 17-40 also, usually i just shoot it at 17mm. somehow framing a fixed focal length lens is becoming a little easier than i thought... :think:

Lens Test Guide will give you some feel on how the wide primes stack up against the 17-40/4 zoom, which I believe is one of the best there is. A lot depends on your shooting style and F4 can be a problem at times if you are into people photography for example. You choices are perhaps the 17-35/2.8 which is much expensive or use flash to help out.

freelancer said:
Lens Test Guide will give you some feel on how the wide primes stack up against the 17-40/4 zoom, which I believe is one of the best there is. A lot depends on your shooting style and F4 can be a problem at times if you are into people photography for example. You choices are perhaps the 17-35/2.8 which is much expensive or use flash to help out.

hmm
no F4 is a problem only when it turns dark. that's all.

uh, yeah but i'm not talking about UPGRADING to a faster zoom. i'm talking about DOWNGRADING to a faster prime.

sequitur said:
hmm
no F4 is a problem only when it turns dark. that's all.

uh, yeah but i'm not talking about UPGRADING to a faster zoom. i'm talking about DOWNGRADING to a faster prime.

Not many choices out there for a non-L prime whose quality rivals that of the 17-40. I think the choice of going for primes is a natural progression for any serious enthusiast, and like you, I share the opinion that a super wide zoom is quite pointless given the limited focal lengths. With the crop factor in most DSLRs, you would probably need to go for something like a 14/2.8L, though this is not one of those highly regarded Ls.

Anyone care to share their experience with any other non L super wide primes?

majere2sg said:

Nice shots there. So you are slowly switching to primes ... hehe

How much did you pay for this lens which seem to have stocks problems?

Terence said:
Not many choices out there for a non-L prime whose quality rivals that of the 17-40. ...

Actually I find that most non L primes beat the 17-40L.

The 50/1.8, 35/2, 85/1.8 and 100/2 are sharper than the 17-40L. The 24/2.8 is marginally sharper than the 17-40L

goering said:
Nice shots there. So you are slowly switching to primes ... hehe

How much did you pay for this lens which seem to have stocks problems?

I got it for 1.6k.. stock problems ? Everytime, for the past few months, when I pass by Cathay photos, I saw this lens in the glass cabinet.. heee :D

majere2sg said:
I got it for 1.6k.. stock problems ? Everytime, for the past few months, when I pass by Cathay photos, I saw this lens in the glass cabinet.. heee :D

u can buy gray for 1.3k :D

goering said:
Actually I find that most non L primes beat the 17-40L.

The 50/1.8, 35/2, 85/1.8 and 100/2 are sharper than the 17-40L. The 24/2.8 is marginally sharper than the 17-40L

you gotta adjust that statement a bit before people bash you... these lenses have to be stopped down to be at least as good as the 17-40 wide open. not all of them, but some of them. you can't get wide open quality as that of the 17-40 with these. but some of them @ f4 will give the 17-40 a run for its money definitely.

Harlequin said:
Garion : Mai Tu Liao ! Buy that 600mm F4 IS and be done with it.....no more drooling.....heh heh....
:D

don't worry, I'm giving him tips on buying a used one. will keep forwarding him sale notices whenever I find a good priced one being sold. :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.