The Laments of a Photog

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh comon,

i am not a pro photog and all my gears already near 100k, including studio lights+ 8 dri cabis.
so i'm very sure your gears for a professional is much more than that.

dont try to be humble.:sticktong
"guo du chien xu bian xu wei!"
Ask people who use Leaf or Leica, what's 100K? LOL

Leaf is like 30K for the body?

Last edited:
they also get assignments that can upkeep that sort of equipment

By then you have spent a fortune on your equipment and you are carrying practically anywhere above 5 to 8K worth of equipment on you any time...

Do you really need 5-8k worth of equipment to take good pic?

you see, why we use the term of professional photography there is a reason.

business is always come before photography. :)

Do not be mislead by ppl who will often promise more assignment and recommendation if you do it, not only cheap(if possible free) and good. Cos it will never happen.

Totally agree ... I had one company who folded after they promised me with more assignment ... now I had problems collecting payment .. which i think had probably gone bad ...

Say NO to low ballers. :thumbsup:

I have the impression that there are more hobbyists(working as other professions) able to own those hasselblad h3ds rather than those working full time as a professional photographer in singapore. Due to extreme low rates of the photography jobs in Singapore, I do not see how a professional photographer here can keep updating these high end digital bodies with constant undercutting of pricing from amateurs.

you see, why we use the term of professional photography there is a reason.

business is always come before photography. :)

Got photography professional? As a client, I think he will want someone who is good in photography rather than business. :bsmilie:

Got photography professional? As a client, I think he will want someone who is good in photography rather than business. :bsmilie:

For client : Photography comes before business
For surviving Photographers : Business before photographers

Bro what business are you doing?
I will consider your services before the rest of the service providers. From what you mentioned, I believe I will get good servcie from you at the expenses of your business. ;p

got, that's is what TS encounter, expect good photography and photographer shoot it with passion (FREE).

it is fine if anyone hold a day job and shoot for fun only, anyway if you have a day job and your boss want you do work for free, what will you think?

don't you guys talk openly with your company about your salary?

Does anyone tell his/her company this way, "just pay me what you think I worth for? cos I'm working for passion!"

For client : Photography comes before business
For surviving Photographers : Business before photographers

Bro what business are you doing?
I will consider your services before the rest of the service providers. From what you mentioned, I believe I will get good servcie from you at the expenses of your business. ;p

I am an admin clerk. No money to run a business. No customer, just my boss to please. And I always let him know that I love my job. :)

You are also a professional photographer or photographer by profession?

don't you guys talk openly with your company about your salary?

Does anyone tell his/her company this way, "just pay me what you think I worth for? cos I'm working for passion!"

When it come to bonus and increment, I always tell my boss to pay me what he think I am worth.

No, we don't talk openly about our salary with other people unless with boss, wife and parents.

I am always generous to supply this free photo to those who request it: :bsmilie:

free-1.jpg

As DSLRs are consumer goods, this will continue being a problem and will not improve. You will however find quality work plus word of mouth are the most valuable tools for companies/individuals who can provide a certain level of service. Market research is required to identify your competition/clients and you need to capitalise on that. No doubt it is VERY hard work to make a name for yourself unless you are a genius and catch a lucky break.

My bottom line is, I would rather work 6 days per month at $1k/day than 20 days at $300/day. I would really WORK for those 6 days and my customers would attest to the fact, and come back to me next time around.

Can the "pros" who provide "bottomline" services maintain their business over a long period of time? Sure they can but how is the quality of life?

I want Bently service, not tuk-tuks.

they also get assignments that can upkeep that sort of equipment

Do you know that for a fact? Even in commercial sector where large megapixels are actually requested by some clients, there are photographers who feel that price competition is the solution to survival, inevitably lowering the bottom line usually without knowing it. So much so that eventually the bottom line is no longer practical for the existence of the business anymore.

Do you know that for a fact? Even in commercial sector where large megapixels are actually requested by some clients, there are photographers who feel that price competition is the solution to survival, inevitably lowering the bottom line usually without knowing it. So much so that eventually the bottom line is no longer practical for the existence of the business anymore.

Photographers in this line should also understand that what they do forms a part of their identity. It's like comparing a kopitiam stall vs a restaurant. If you are running a restaurant and charging at kopitiam prices, you're definitely going to get different customers from another restaurant that is much more expensive. Eventually you need to work way harder than a hawker as you have a much higher maintenance cost. Photographers need to see that.

How I feel is that every one's free to accept what ever rates they are comfortable with.
For the clients, if they are on a budget they will probably go for the lowest and in the end when they realize that's not what they want they will rise the prices to get someone who can do the job.

I have clients who told me that they just someone there. That's so easy. The rates are usually low and lower.

But luckily there are those who told me money is not a problem and they pay on time.

I guess it's just a luck game. Like all business, once in a while we get good clients and some times great clients. For the great clients, passion takes over immediately. ;)

For some clients, they are content with trials shots which are photographers looking to build their portfolio. That's fine cos their budget is there and they have higher management to report to. Just that I feel that slowly we lose them as customers. coz eventually someone in their company will tell you, "hey how come the shots so blur one, like that I can also shot for company .. Hahaha "

Status
Not open for further replies.