The industrial sparks

This year's NDP fireworks will be set off from the roof of several hi-rise commercial buildings.

So do a careful survey and avoid position yourself too near to the fireworks.

Look for cityscape outline where there is some patch of empty sky to fit in the fireworks.

It sounds /look pretty simple here, but actually might take some days for on site recon.

At this juncture, some might thought of booking a place at the Sky Park, but wait a minute...

Fireworks only looks good and spectacular when it is position against a sky, and not against a myriad of colour lights and smokes. Pls take note. I'm sure some will be unconvinced.
I see.. Never knew that it can be so "FUN". will try and walk around the city area to get familiarize some of the possible shooting locations. Sound very challenging indeed. :bigeyes: Emm.. i guess its time for me this noob to read up on fireworks shooting for a higher chance of success.. Cant afford to trial-and-error.:bsmilie: Thanks anws!

the original photo i feel is too bright and too reddish. deliberately dialling down the exposure by a stop or two and adjusting your WB might yield better results, as well as helping to obscure the distracting background. alternatively, you could also adjust this in your post-processing. composition wise, i think it is quite good and you have captured the moment well by freezing the action.

Oh Woah Yeah thanks a lot for showing me a sample of what you mean.. greatly appreciated! Will try your way of editing this photo..Cheers! =D

Last edited:
ok. i added on to the image edited by zaren. i felt perhaps by having a longer and tighter cut it may help.
img7316wordpressrev.jpg

Though you guys have put in tremendous effort of improving the shot, if you would place them side by side, the original pichas got a smoother tone, especially of the grinding stone and the machine except with the few flaws which I'd pointed out.

If you would study the machine, you can find some warm glows ( unfortunately, which is rather weak here) which in fact are lights from the sparks.
This is also a reason why I would underexpose the machine half stop ( i.e. dim the ambient lighting to the machine ) as not forgetting the sparks generated is itself a light source, and with enough ( that means longer exposure time ) it will be able to throw a warm cast onto the cool grey machine.

This is actually what I wanted to achieve...daylight machine with a slight warm cast from the sparks.

As for the improved version...the grinding stone and machine looks a bit " chow-tar ".
The grinding stone, after treatment...has lost its spinning effect. ( compare original )

Though you guys have put in tremendous effort of improving the shot, if you would place them side by side, the original pichas got a smoother tone, especially of the grinding stone and the machine except with the few flaws which I'd pointed out.

If you would study the machine, you can find some warm glows ( unfortunately, which is rather weak here) which in fact are lights from the sparks.
This is also a reason why I would underexpose the machine half stop ( i.e. dim the ambient lighting to the machine ) as not forgetting the sparks generated is itself a light source, and with enough ( that means longer exposure time ) it will be able to throw a warm cast onto the cool grey machine.

This is actually what I wanted to achieve...daylight machine with a slight warm cast from the sparks.

As for the improved version...the grinding stone and machine looks a bit " chow-tar ".
The grinding stone, after treatment...has lost its spinning effect. ( compare original )

hmm. yea. but bo bian. or else his cutting machine looks more like ceramic stuff. no texture and very smooth:sweat:

Ya lor, that's what I mean...bo bian.