The Future IS Mirror-less: so says Olympus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This I agree, Konica Minolta didn't do a good job on Anti Shake sensor marketing.

BTW, nice looking camera tho'...

frontview-001.jpg

Got lor!

You try close one eye, put your finger a few cm away from your eye and focus on it. observe the ultra bokeh behind.

budden must rest the eye every 30 min, later kena short sighted.

bokeh is the visual esthetic quality of out of focus areas... and as for out of focus areas, it is there even for the human eye... try putting your hand near the eye, focus on your hand and try to look at, but not focus on, things in the distance... how is the quality of the bokeh ;)

i know abt that. since im also short sighted, my eyes dof also smaller than normal ppl when not wearing contact lens or spec. :bsmilie:

what i mean was, the eyes cannot produce bokeh like 50mm 1.2 lens, or etcs.

p.s. i like my eyes trully. otherwise, that would be blasphemy. :sweat:

No chance. The real leaders in consumer digicam are Canon-Nikon.
Just big talk by marketing hype artists working for Oly.
Anyway Oly does not depend on small cams for a living. It is just a side-show.
Oly core business is in medical imaging and scoping.

it will come... surely.... maybe in the next 5 years. or maybe lesser....with the speed of tech breakthrough who knows.
10 years ago there were still using films.
10years ago. nikon D1 worth more 10k shoots 2.7 mega pix....
10 years ago, google was nth, still finding funds. today its the biggest internet giant.

someday, they can use replica of human eye balls as camera. - instant auto focus, ultra high dynamic range!

only the digital part is moving at fast pace. everything else--the lens, the focusing speed, the shutter speed...still pretty much the same as film camera years ago.

this remind me of Bill Gates:

At a computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release (by Mr. Welch himself) stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a manoeuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine.

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought 'Car95' or 'CarNT', and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single 'general car default' warning light.

8. New seats would force every-one to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say 'Are you sure?' before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally (a subsidiary of GM), even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the 'start' button to shut off the engine.

only the digital part is moving at fast pace. everything else--the lens, the focusing speed, the shutter speed...still pretty much the same as film camera years ago.

this remind me of Bill Gates:

lol... nice rebuttal by gm. ;p

thks for sourcing the link.. but once again tt opinion doesn't represent that of olympus right? it was just speculation by some tech blogger... hence it's still misleading to say "Olympus says DSLRs are going to die".

Last edited:
The cutest thing is while manufacturers are making mirrorless dSLR, they are adding more gadget like electronic VF make it bigger.:bsmilie:

on the bright side, if it is true, that also means that there will be no shutter sound.
And mirror slap... Which would probably make digital RFs like the Leica M9 obselete.

The GM response is oh-so-good!!

I think u will still have shutter sound. Just no mirror slap.

Yup, there will be a shutter noise. It'll be like the one on your cell phone. You'll probably be able to change it like a ring tone.

Yup, there will be a shutter noise. It'll be like the one on your cell phone. You'll probably be able to change it like a ring tone.

no, these mirror-less cameras still have a mechanical focal plane shutter. there will be shutter noise.

Not sure why, maybe its just me, I only recently picked up phototaking as a hobby, and since day 1, i have been just naturally looking through the viewfinder, and not the screen.

I find using the screen.. feels a bit... odd. :dunno:

I have been told that Nikon and/or Canon pay Olympus $22 billion in licensing fees every year for using technology patented by Olympus. To give u an idea of this number, the annual sales for Nikon cameras is $4 billion. That is what I have been told. I was not able to verify it through the internet. But please prove me wrong or prove me right. Either way, I want the truth.

I have been told that Nikon and/or Canon pay Olympus $22 billion in licensing fees every year for using technology patented by Olympus. To give u an idea of this number, the annual sales for Nikon cameras is $4 billion. That is what I have been told. I was not able to verify it through the internet. But please prove me wrong or prove me right. Either way, I want the truth.

1)no company in their right mind will pay $22 billion licensing fee every year. even Microsoft/Intel will go bankrupt in no time.

2)Olympus will be the biggest company if they can get $22 billion every year without doing anything.

3)the total asset of Nikon is less than $22 billion.

it really is a no brainer. I would really like to know your source and why you even bother to take it seriously...

Just as how Olympus was saying 4/3 format was the future? And now they are left behind in the dust by Nikon, Canon, Sony all moving on to a full-frame sensor? :bsmilie:

1)no company in their right mind will pay $22 billion licensing fee every year. even Microsoft/Intel will go bankrupt in no time.

2)Olympus will be the biggest company if they can get $22 billion every year without doing anything.

3)the total asset of Nikon is less than $22 billion.

it really is a no brainer. I would really like to know your source and why you even bother to take it seriously...

1. I did not say ONE company paid that much. This is the total licensing fees presumably received by Olympus per year from various camera companies.

2. Not selling or marketing cameras as much as the biggies, does not mean that they are not doing anything. Have u heard of back-end things such as research and development??

3. Again, I did not say that Nikon ALONE paid $22 billion.

BTW, the numbers are not that unbelieveable. I managed to find some figures online about Nikon profits, and they are in the range of billions of dollars. So before u reply with rhetoric, please get some facts to prove or disprove it.

Also, it makes economic sense for Nikon and other manufacturers. Even if, let's say they pay $10 billion per year for licensing fees. But if in paying this $10 billion, they can make profit of $4 billion per year? Why not? It is a 40% return on THAT investment. On the other hand, R&D is risky. U can throw in 1 billion, and not get a single dollar back if the research fails. But u throw in 1 billion in marketing, u can be sure ur product WILL sell. Audi is a good example this year, of how good marketing can actually increase market share, and they din even spend anywhere close to that amount.

FYI, operating income for Olympus in the order of US$11 billion. Annual sales from camera is in the range of US$3 billion.

Perhaps it is not such a no-brainer if u actually did think about it.

Last edited:
Just as how Olympus was saying 4/3 format was the future? And now they are left behind in the dust by Nikon, Canon, Sony all moving on to a full-frame sensor? :bsmilie:

4/3 is a digital format full frame camera sensor.

This is a format which, when Olympus decided to go into digital, thought about how to design and produce a camera system from the ground up, based on this new digital sensor. And they decided, to choose this specific format for various optical and physical reasons. They had the choice to make a LARGER digital sensor, but for some reason, they din, and chose this particular size. U go and ask those PhDs in there why?

And yes, in terms of that big 135 full frame in the Canon 1D, Nikon D700/3, and Sony's, Olympus may look to be behind in the dust. But when the dust clears, u will not see Olympus there at all. I dun think they are even in this race at all. ;) In fact, they have also declared, a few months ago, that 10-12 MP is enough and they are not going to be in the megapixel race. So if u consider camera companies that make large digital sensors and high megapixel sensors better, so be it. Perhaps, ur photography requires it and I am totally OK with that.

Very true.

I like Oly's ads with Miyazawa Aoi though. Mmm...

Anyways, Olympus has its own market. I don't feel that it has anything to do with the DSLR lot at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.