The Flip-it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
give us discount and we will buy from u ;p

Well, PPCP's current stock is priced as it is because of the cost of it that PPCP's getting it at. Just opened this thread to show ppl that their money can be spent in other ways than just the GFLS which is really a big heavy thing... not sure about others, but it made my flashgun's head a little loose...

The Flip-it! is worth every cent you spend. In this case - you REALLY get more than what you pay for (which unfortunately isn't always the case when you buy stuff). I paid more than the Flip-it! For my GFLS and though it did impress me for a while, this has paid off more times than the GFLS has. If you notice on B&S... quite a few GFLS being sold away at low prices - you don't really have to guess why :)

OK, i'm finally posting here ... haha ... my mini review ... or maybe it's more of a rant or .. i dunno ..

anyways, i MUST say, that the FLIP-IT has given me results that i had never gotten before from a diffusion cap (like the OM**-B****E) or the soft diffusion dome or the diffussion balloon or whatever so far ...

the only thing that ever gave me results similar was a crudely made a4-sized bounce card which kept threatening to fall off (and it really did when i was shooting in school) and also (feedback from my unhappy school mates) blocked many people's view ... (and never quite gave me the same results as the flip-it)

ok, here are 2 pics taken with my DIY bounce card attached

a bit flat, some shadow apparent, but not alot ... pretty decent for a DIY card, but still indecent compared to the flip-it
diy_bounce.jpg

and here's one just for laughs, here you can clearly see it made the image pretty flat ...
diybouncejustforlaughs.jpg

the GFLS (which i used in school before) recieved similar feedback, one classmate said it was like a F******* bare light bulb that kept flashing ... which eventually led them to not look in the general direction of the stage ... yeah, the results were also not as pleasent as those i have gotten from the Flip-it.

surprisingly, upclose the GFLS gave me pretty harsh shadows ... as seen in these 2 pics ... more 3d than the diy bounce card, but harsher shadows (surprisingly ...)
gfls1.jpg

gfls2.jpg

Now, onto the flip-it, i know at 50 bucks it may seem a bit expensive, but for me, i'd rather spend $32 more on the flip-it (especially now that you don't have to paste velcro on your flash head) than spend $18 on a cheap diffusion cap (which doesn't do very much .. no matter how popular and widely used it is ...)

this pic was taken with the flip-it, reason for choice, the environment is closest to those above ... but this place was much more dimly lit ...

almost no apparent shadow .. overall pretty balanced lighting, pretty 3d too ...
flipit.jpg

especially when shooting close up portraits or subjects, the flip-it can be exploited creatively, you can easily use one hot-shoe mounted flash and simulate 2 light sources, diagonal (top-right) + forward, top-left + forward even botton right/left + forward, or bounce if off a wall on the right or left + forward, .. throw on the pro attachment and there're even more possibilities .. let your creativity run wild, play with lighting (NOT lightning) ... cheers =)

give us discount and we will buy from u ;p

*JUST FOR LAUGHS*

OK, you seem like nice man, I give you BEST price, $49.49. 50 cents A lot of money, you save 50 cents here, you go somewhere else and save another 50 cents, you have 1 dollar, then you go to dollar shop and buy something else!

=)

btw, sorry for the OT ah ...

Hmm...looks very interesting.

Does anyone have pictures taken with the Flip-It Jumbo or Pro (with the diffusing panels in the front part) taken in the portrait orientation (not landscape cropped to look like portrait)?

I notice that most often, side shadows (with most diffusers) are still a problem taken in this orientation.

hmm ... how about this? ... you visit me and offer to me by model .. i'll take as many pics of you as you want with the jumbo + pro diffuser (yes, in portrait orientation with the flash at 45 degree tilt.)

hmmz ... anyways i'll try and find a subject .. .maybe my mom or someone .. hahah ... and shoot some ...

Aiyoh! U wanna take the risk ah?

If you took my portrait, your lenses would fogg up permanently. LOL!

Seriously, does it perform well in the portrait orientation, and is it fiddly to use in rela life handling?

Seriously, does it perform well in the portrait orientation, and is it fiddly to use in rela life handling?

z1.jpg
z2.jpg

These were submitted by a flip-it! pro user (just bought and used) taken in portrait :) cheers!

hmmz .. i dun think it'll fog up lahh .. at most i'll use PPCP's dry anti-fogging cloth ... (which i use ever frequently on my specs)

anyways, how it performs in portrait orientation, the pics above show .. i'll try and see if i can get some shots tomorrow ... or the day after ...

and is it fiddly to use in a real life handling? .. certainly NOT as fiddly as my DIY bounce card or the GFLS is ...

so if we wanna buy, can we try it b4 we buy it? to see if it is as impressive as the GFLS?

well, i suppose if you come down to try it ... you could use my piece ... but u'll have to come down in the evenings ...

Hi Parkert,
Tempting to get one but still deciding between the jumbo and the pro as I do take shots in large halls. How are the images of the jumbo in a apartment?

Regards,
Harry

Hi Harry, the difference is not great in an enclosed area - u basically get similar/identical results. It's in a larger hall with greater distance that you see the difference.

I have one question though - would the hinge get loose with time? any screws to tighten it?

Hi Harry, the difference is not great in an enclosed area - u basically get similar/identical results. It's in a larger hall with greater distance that you see the difference.

Thanks. I will contact you via pcpp email. Personaly I use a DIY flip it and like it better than the normal bounce card. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.