The day I took the bus to work

I'm sure a lot of people would have done the same. One of the reason I started this thread was to record what I remembered of the incident. I really hate to see this driver getting into a disadvantaged situation because nobody would relate what they saw.
Kit, you're the man :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm quite sure not many people so caring like yourself, or rather bochap :)

Statement submitted.

I called SMRT again to find out if they can give me an update of the outcome if its not against their policies. Lady at the claims dept said she got to check with her boss. Quite frankly, I'm not too concerned about the arrangements they will have with the guy. I'm more concerned about the driver.

Statement submitted.

I called SMRT again to find out if they can give me an update of the outcome if its not against their policies. Lady at the claims dept said she got to check with her boss. Quite frankly, I'm not too concerned about the arrangements they will have with the guy. I'm more concerned about the driver.

Well done bro! We need more citizens like you, not those who always jump to conclusions

Good job!

Unfortunately in accidents most drivers are the ones who are blamed first ):

If there is a camera mounted on the bus facing the road, which record down the whole incident, it can also be use to prove the driver is not at fault :)

So being a driver nowadays not so easy? Low pay long hours

I am so baffled as to why the guy would dashed across the road. For the past few days, I drove past the same junction myself and made some observations. The junction is complex. Vehicular traffic is constantly switching from 1-way to 2-way and vice versa. The traffic lights at the junction governs 3 different vehicular flow. The order of light switch is as follows:

a) Vehicles from Jalan Anak Bukit going straight towards Clementi Road or making right turn onto Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards Woodlands).

b) Vehicles from Clementi Road making right turn onto Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards city).

c) Vehicles travelling straight along Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards Woodlands).

If you are stopped at the junction, you have to wait for the set of lights to switch 3 times, allowing vehicles from the other 2 roads to pass before you turn comes again. The guy was crossing Uppder Bukit Timah Road at the lights outside Bukit Timah Plaza. So the right time for him to cross the road is when vehicles are turning onto Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards city) from Clementi Road. He dashed across at the time when vehicles were either travelling from Jalan Anak Bukit going straight towards Clementi Road or making right turn onto Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards Woodlands). The latter is the route of service 985.

A bit of speculation. I think the guy must have seen vehicles stopped in front of King Albert Park and vehicles started travelling from Jalan Anak Bukit towards Clementi Road. He then made the assumption that it was his turn to cross. as he dashed across the road, he might not have seen vehicles making the right turn from Jalan Anak Bukit onto Upper Bukit Timah Road because these vehicles will typically travel slower than those going straight. The driver might not have spotted the guy too since he was banking towards the left side of Bukit Timah Road. The guy came from his right side. Upper Bukit Timah Road is a 5-lane road. The driver's angle of view might not be that wide to spot him.

Its unfortunate but totally avoidable. If people would just follow their lights, be it drivers or pedestrians. I still stand by my initial point of view. The bus had the right of way.

I am so baffled as to why the guy would dashed across the road. For the past few days, I drove past the same junction myself and made some observations. The junction is complex. Vehicular traffic is constantly switching from 1-way to 2-way and vice versa. The traffic lights at the junction governs 3 different vehicular flow. The order of light switch is as follows:

a) Vehicles from Jalan Anak Bukit going straight towards Clementi Road or making right turn onto Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards Woodlands).

b) Vehicles from Clementi Road making right turn onto Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards city).

c) Vehicles travelling straight along Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards Woodlands).

If you are stopped at the junction, you have to wait for the set of lights to switch 3 times, allowing vehicles from the other 2 roads to pass before you turn comes again. The guy was crossing Uppder Bukit Timah Road at the lights outside Bukit Timah Plaza. So the right time for him to cross the road is when vehicles are turning onto Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards city) from Clementi Road. He dashed across at the time when vehicles were either travelling from Jalan Anak Bukit going straight towards Clementi Road or making right turn onto Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards Woodlands). The latter is the route of service 985.

A bit of speculation. I think the guy must have seen vehicles stopped in front of King Albert Park and vehicles started travelling from Jalan Anak Bukit towards Clementi Road. He then made the assumption that it was his turn to cross. as he dashed across the road, he might not have seen vehicles making the right turn from Jalan Anak Bukit onto Upper Bukit Timah Road because these vehicles will typically travel slower than those going straight. The driver might not have spotted the guy too since he was banking towards the left side of Bukit Timah Road. The guy came from his right side. Upper Bukit Timah Road is a 5-lane road. The driver's angle of view might not be that wide to spot him.

Its unfortunate but totally avoidable. If people would just follow their lights, be it drivers or pedestrians. I still stand by my initial point of view. The bus had the right of way.

but if that guy's a regular pedestrian there, he might know. i used to study in that area so i roughly know the traffic light timings.

it could be that the guy was just trying his luck to dash across before the vehicles reached.

many pedestrians underestimate the speed of moving vehicles.

just the other day, from my room window i noticed an auntie trying to dash across the 2-lane road, but retreated once she realized that the car was going faster than she was.

and as a road user, there are times when pedestrians blatantly jaywalk and block traffic. there were times when guys and girls just glared daggers and slowly cross in front of you, just after they force you to jam on the brakes.

Probably. I gave him benefit of the doubt that he's got enough sense to not get in the way of a 10 ton bus.

Its metal vs flesh and bone. Odds were not on his side.

kei1309 said:
but if that guy's a regular pedestrian there, he might know. i used to study in that area so i roughly know the traffic light timings.

it could be that the guy was just trying his luck to dash across before the vehicles reached.

many pedestrians underestimate the speed of moving vehicles.

just the other day, from my room window i noticed an auntie trying to dash across the 2-lane road, but retreated once she realized that the car was going faster than she was.

and as a road user, there are times when pedestrians blatantly jaywalk and block traffic. there were times when guys and girls just glared daggers and slowly cross in front of you, just after they force you to jam on the brakes.

There was once a group of guys jaywalking while I driving along a road. One of guy saw my car approaching so he stop at center divider line, but his group of friends who walked in front of him had already crossed onto the pavement. Then this guy suddenly just dashed across to join his friends when I was quite near to him.. !
lucky able to slow down in time..

Few days ago another guy crossing traffic line while it still in red man.
One side of road with cars coming and other direction a bus coming. That guy just dun give a damn, walk at normal pace, talking on his phone and look ard.

Last edited:
To be more balanced, about time TP put in some effort on pedestrian & cyclist.

Seen numerous time cyclist dashing across pedestrian crossing in the last seconds thinking they are fast. To top it off, some cyclist are getting aggressive thinking they have rights on both road space & pedestrian walkways.

To be more balanced, about time TP put in some effort on pedestrian & cyclist.

Seen numerous time cyclist dashing across pedestrian crossing in the last seconds thinking they are fast. To top it off, some cyclist are getting aggressive thinking they have rights on both road space & pedestrian walkways.

Saw a post before (yahoo news or stomp etc), TP booking those jaywalkers. Then there will ppl commented .... "..waste taxpayer money.. etc" ???
If no one catch, ppl will also say waste taxpayer money on those police who no doing their job...
:confused:

Sometime when making a turn at traffic junction, when all pedestrian had crossed, when I was about to turn, sometime some cyclists will just cycled and dash across from dun know where... Sometime even human ran across when it already the Red Man on the traffic light.

But then there also cases vehicles dashed across a traffic light when the green man already up.
Once in morning a cab stop at red light, asked me want take cab? When I said no, then he continue to drive off .. !!

So many people just rushing.... and rushing... to save that few minutes.

Thumbs up to you Kit.

We should all slow down @ crossings even if the light is in your favour, easier said than done but just pay attention to surroundings cos you never know.

A friend once killed a jaywalker & though it was not his fault, the trauma left him a lot of pain. He sold off his cars & continues to send money to the deceased family.

I am recovering from flu so took the bus to work yesterday and today. Saw the driver this evening! He gave me a smile when I boarded the bus at the terminal. I smiled back. Don't think he know me though. I assumed that he had been cleared of any responsibilities and resumed his work.

I'M HAPPY!!! :):thumbsup::vhappy:

I am recovering from flu so took the bus to work yesterday and today. Saw the driver this evening! He gave me a smile when I boarded the bus at the terminal. I smiled back. Don't think he know me though. I assumed that he had been cleared of any responsibilities and resumed his work.

I'M HAPPY!!! :):thumbsup::vhappy:

Maybe get a warning letter, deduct salary but get to keep the job.

Maybe get a warning letter, deduct salary but get to keep the job.

maybe it was his last day and was thankful that the jaywalker got him fired, so he could start training to finally become the first Singaporean on the moon after being carefully selected from a pool of 5 people

My point being, if you were not there and saw what happened, keep those stereotypical responses checked. Doesn't do any good to anyone. Admittedly, I have also gone through that stereotypical phase before. We are all learning.

Well said.
Agree

Thumbs up to you Kit.

We should all slow down @ crossings even if the light is in your favour, easier said than done but just pay attention to surroundings cos you never know.

A friend once killed a jaywalker & though it was not his fault, the trauma left him a lot of pain. He sold off his cars & continues to send money to the deceased family.

Good wisdom