The chicken and Egg problem...?

Canon / Nikon problem:
What I can say is if you're not going in to sports or birding, (to me) both are the same. I chose Canon because of the grip ergonomics. (it feels better to hold la!) quite a few of my friends are with Canon so I can borrow their lenses to play too. This is what I always tell me friends.
The only issue with Nikon they don't have anything above 300mm, while Canon has amazing 400/600/800/1200 lenses. One can argue there are 3rd party lenses, but they will not be as good.

For currently available lenses, Nikon has alternatives to all Canon's long lenses except for the 800mm.

Talking about discontinued, Nikon has some very long lenses as well, like 2000mm...

And 3rd party lenses are not as good? hmmm.... you sure? I know of quite a few 3rd party brands that produced some lenses that are much better than Nikon's or Canon's. And some offer stuff that Nikon and Canon was not able to... Where else can you get 500mm F2.8? and a zoom too?

Last edited:
that said, TS, just get yerself a camera, in this case a dslr, any dslr, and start shooting!

you should already get the basics of composition of a photo cause you're into photography, so all you need to do now is learn about your newfound powers in the dslr! all brands are pretty much the same with their own pros and cons, so dont really worry too much about it and just make the leap with whichever makes you feel better ( i think you want canon lol ) as you shoot, you'll realise that you want a certain kind of shot, and then you'll find out how that kind of shot is taken and then learn from it! you gotta start the ball rolling yourself! have fun!

daredevil123 said:
For currently available lenses, Nikon has alternatives to all Canon's long lenses except for the 800mm.

Talking about discontinued, Nikon has some very long lenses as well, like 2000mm...

And 3rd party lenses are not as good? hmmm.... you sure? I know of quite a few 3rd party brands that produced some lenses that are much better than Nikon's or Canon's. And some offer stuff that Nikon and Canon was not able to... Where else can you get 500mm F2.8? and a zoom too?

Mr. Sigma :)
Those are lenses that you cannot find from any OEM.

I got poisoned. Borrowed friend's camera to take some cosplay event photos and the rest is history.

Less than 1 month, plonked down 4k for camera, lenses and accessories :(

Hey everyone,

wow, I'm completely surprised and touched at the many responses on my thread haha! (Mostly because I can kinda imagine how tring it is to always see newbies asking clueless questions when most of you are already way past this stage!) Really appreciate it :)

Ok, I think my replies are still in queue to be moderated, hence a couple of them have not appeared yet.

I had mentioned in one of my replies (which has not been approved and released by moderator), that I'm actually currently in the States (for another half a year), and I buy most of my electronic appliances online for best prices and selection. But yes, I should and will be popping by a shop real soon to get a feel of the DSLRs, and hopefully something will call out my name haha..

Just to confirm, it IS true that DSLRs and other photography equipment is cheaper to buy in the states than in Singapore right? So I should hopefully buy my DSLR soon, work it to the best I can, then decide what accessories and stuff I want and need, and try to buy them before returning?

Bakagomi said:
I got poisoned. Borrowed friend's camera to take some cosplay event photos and the rest is history.

Less than 1 month, plonked down 4k for camera, lenses and accessories :(

My first dslr usage was when I borrowed a camera (yes I'm a ******* that borrowed a camera) and took it to a small cosplay event! From there, I moved on to renting for awhile, and now I too have a set down for cosfests! We should go together sometime XD

Oh I heard hk is cheapest? But the lack of international warranty by canon is frowned upon when importing.

Last edited:
Ok, I think my replies are still in queue to be moderated, hence a couple of them have not appeared yet.
This part of the forum is not moderated, your answers will appear immediately. Please do a refresh of the website in your browser (You might need to change a browser setting to force the browser loading the pages every time instead of suing cached data.)

I had mentioned in one of my replies (which has not been approved and released by moderator), that I'm actually currently in the States (for another half a year), and I buy most of my electronic appliances online for best prices and selection. But yes, I should and will be popping by a shop real soon to get a feel of the DSLRs, and hopefully something will call out my name haha..
Just to confirm, it IS true that DSLRs and other photography equipment is cheaper to buy in the states than in Singapore right? So I should hopefully buy my DSLR soon, work it to the best I can, then decide what accessories and stuff I want and need, and try to buy them before returning?
I'm not sure about the price, use the price guide here, call the shops, ask for equotes and compare. But please be aware about the T&C for warranty. Certain warranty services cannot be transferred and honoured elsewhere, you would need to ship the item back to US. You need International Warranty if you want your items serviced in Singapore. Have a good look at the fine print :)

Hey everyone,

wow, I'm completely surprised and touched at the many responses on my thread haha! (Mostly because I can kinda imagine how tring it is to always see newbies asking clueless questions when most of you are already way past this stage!) Really appreciate it :)

I believe most of the item are cheaper in the US as compared to SG. But the problem is warranty. Some brands dont provide international warranty. However, if you are ok with it.. i guess its ok. So do check properly before purchasing. All the best

Don't overwhelm yourself with the need to know all the technical stuff. Just go out and shoot. Just like swimming, we only learn when we get into the pool.

Be realistic with yourself, don't expect immediate results. But know that as long as you keep shooting, you will keep improving.

My first dslr usage was when I borrowed a camera (yes I'm a ******* that borrowed a camera) and took it to a small cosplay event! From there, I moved on to renting for awhile, and now I too have a set down for cosfests! We should go together sometime XD

Oh I heard hk is cheapest? But the lack of international warranty by canon is frowned upon when importing.

Haha no problem. Will try to attend the upcoming Cosfest in Feb.

I agree with Valkarian. You know more than enough from what I see. Start shooting!