Tech question that really got me stumped

This brings back some memories, from an old CS thread.

Ah Beng went for an job interview for a sales job. When the manager saw Ah Beng's colourful attire, his mind screamed, "Not this man!!"

Nevertheless he still had to entertain Ah Beng. So he told Ah Beng, "If you can form a sentence using the words I give you, then I will give you a chance!"

"The words are "Green, Pink, Yellow, Blue, White, Purple, Black".

Ah Beng thought for a while and said "I heard the phone go green, green, and then I went to pink up the phone and said Yellow. Blue's that? White did you say? Aiyah, wrong number. Don't purplely disturb people and don't call Black, ok?"

Ah Beng got the job. Damn!

Dear XXXXXXXXXX

We have investigated and found the source of the virus. When Mr XXXX (insert big shot CEO or CFO name) last did a photocopy of his document, the virus was inadvertently transmitted from his non-original copy paper into the machine. We apologize for the inconvenience caused, and have advised Mr XXXX (big shot CEO/CFO) to scan in only original documents.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regards.

XXXX

This answer is applicable since both user and the CEO in the same region.:lovegrin:

What a legend!! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

This answer is applicable since both user and the CEO in the same region.:lovegrin:

Glad to be of service. We in the IT line need to share innovative solutions, while providing informative and best practises with users in disguised sarcasm.

Note that you can also escalate the names used to Board Of Directors or someone the user will NOT ask, as you see fit.

Last edited:

Nice classic cases.

Here's another one from my office.

Got one user called in from other region. He said he cannot get his mail on his smartphone. He called up the telco as advised by my fellow IT guy and the telco said no data connection issue for his account.

I asked him to try surf to www.google.com using his phone.
Him: I cannot see the web page.
Me: That means there could be some issue with the telco. can you verify the internet connection settings for your phone with the telco?

Him: But I can access youtube.

Since I was on speaker phone, my snr colleague intervene:
Snr Colleague: Where did you access the youtube from?
Him: My PC

Both of us literally fell on the floor holding back our laughter.....

Last edited:
Glad to be of service. We in the IT line need to share innovative solutions, while providing informative and best practises with users in disguised sarcasm.

Note that you can also escalate the names used to Board Of Directors or someone the user will NOT ask, as you see fit.

Only CEO is in the same region as him. Our CFO is elsewhere, while the directors are spread evenly through out other regions.;p

Classic cases...

PLBKAU

Problem Lies Between Keyboard And User. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Nice classic cases.

Got one user called in from other region. He said he cannot get his mail on his smartphone. He called up the telco as advised by my fellow IT guy and the telco said no data connection issue for his account.

Me: That means there could be some issue with the telco. can you verify the internet connection settings for your phone with the telco?

I can see your senior colleague is very experienced :thumbsup:
Straight away this kind of problem can solve already, not many talented people like this around.

Dear XXXXXXXXXX

We have investigated and found the source of the virus. When Mr XXXX (insert big shot CEO or CFO name) last did a photocopy of his document, the virus was inadvertently transmitted from his non-original copy paper into the machine. We apologize for the inconvenience caused, and have advised Mr XXXX (big shot CEO/CFO) to scan in only original documents.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regards.

XXXX

err... bcos the scanner is being used to scan the picture of the h1n1 virus... ehem!

pls alert ministry of health

Reminds me of an old old tech helpdesk story....

The CSO was telling the user over the phone: "Hi Sir, I believe this is an I.D:10.T problem. Please make sure the socket is plugged in and try pressing the power button again"
:bsmilie:

Nice classic cases.

seems like the user thinks that the internet connection is 'linked' to him...

watever machine he uses automatically assumes connection... :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

once my subordinate asked me, why dont they use their brain.. my reply was.. think about it, if everyone was that smart and can do everything, you and I would lose our jobs!

so be thankful, for people like them.. it's because of them, the Helpdesk and IT tech support still have jobs!

but yes, such situations are often 哭笑不得

Ah Beng went for an job interview for a sales job. When the manager saw Ah Beng's colourful attire, his mind screamed, "Not this man!!"

Nevertheless he still had to entertain Ah Beng. So he told Ah Beng, "If you can form a sentence using the words I give you, then I will give you a chance!"

"The words are "Green, Pink, Yellow, Blue, White, Purple, Black".

Ah Beng thought for a while and said "I heard the phone go green, green, and then I went to pink up the phone and said Yellow. Blue's that? White did you say? Aiyah, wrong number. Don't purplely disturb people and don't call Black, ok?"

Ah Beng got the job. Damn!

you know, this joke is seriously a lot better than what TS has put up b/c it's really a joke. What TS has put up might just merely be someone unfamiliar with technology and which is all too common for pple > 40 years of age when they grow up without computers. I dun really see why it's funny. Just need to reply matter of fact that scanners usually dun generate virus and tat's it...very funny mei?

you know, this joke is seriously a lot better than what TS has put up b/c it's really a joke. What TS has put up might just merely be someone unfamiliar with technology and which is all too common for pple > 40 years of age when they grow up without computers. I dun really see why it's funny. Just need to reply matter of fact that scanners usually dun generate virus and tat's it...very funny mei?

Funny or not depends on the reader lah.

For non technical ppl, it's like "Oooo scanner cannot get infected with virus ah?". For technical ppl it would be a well known basic fact.

Similarly when a GWC like me making an obvious mistake with camera settings. Snrs and gurus can LOL about it, made sarcastic comments, and some even got irritated and (maybe) gave rude comments.

To me, it's not funny, and it's not even irritating. It's a new knowledge to me. And the rudeness is a wake up call for me to be more attentive, more careful and read more articles.

In few months time, looking back I can LOL at my own lack of knowledge.

Btw, the user got suspicion of virus activity. He may be mistakenly suspect the scanner, It is my job to find out what trigger his suspicion and find the right source. I can't simply says: Scanners dun generate virus, and close the case. It might be false alarm, but I'd face more problem if it were a true virus infection and I failed to mitigate it before it spread.

Last edited:

Maybe the joke's on us IT people, coz most of the time, we're so used to computers that we don't realize the problem (e.g. none of us would use the coffee holder that comes with the computer). My mom similarly gets frustrated that I have the inability to teach her simple email stuff, and I do have problems relating to what the problem really is. I grew up with a Radio Shack TRS-80 (model 1 :rolleyes:) predating the first IBM "PC" (lovingly known as the 4.77MHz) and knew that I would be a GWC (goondu with computer).

OK OK.. enough nostalgia.

The point is, I also learnt to laugh at myself, with others, along the way.