Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 vs Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 HSM

Which is better? IQ + Sharpness

Results are only viewable after voting.

Agreed. Regret selling off my copy.
This is better than canon in some review!
But I moving off to prime now.

r u guys using it on crop or full frame bodies?

I read from reviews that the tamron 28-75 focuses really slowly and almost can't in low light situation, can anyone verify that?

Btw anyone here knows where to rent this lens?

Tamron 28-75 use normal motor for AF, Sigma 24-70 HSM = hyper sonic motor more faster AF, both are different

I read from reviews that the tamron 28-75 focuses really slowly and almost can't in low light situation, can anyone verify that?

Btw anyone here knows where to rent this lens?

It is not as accurate in lower light as the Nikon 24-70/2.8. But it will still work ok.

This is shot in low light... looks bright in the picture because I up the exposure.

Shot at 70mm F2.8 1/80s ISO5000 + 2/3 EV
5514434940_6844c77820_z.jpg

And for folks who are comparing this to the Sigma HSM, they each have their strengths and weaknesses. So really depends on what you deem more important. If the the strengths of both lenses are combined, it will be awesome, and come closer to the Nikon 24-70. For more info on the comparison of these 2 lenses, someone did a test and posted the results. You can see it here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/928921-Comparison-of-Sigma-24-70mm-F2.8-IF-EX-DG-HSM-and-Tamron-SP-AF-28-75mm-F2.8-XR-Di-LD

Last edited:
It is not as accurate in lower light as the Nikon 24-70/2.8. But it will still work ok.

This is shot in low light... looks bright in the picture because I up the exposure.

Shot at 70mm F2.8 1/80s ISO5000 + 2/3 EV
5514434940_6844c77820_z.jpg

And for folks who are comparing this to the Sigma HSM, they each have their strengths and weaknesses. So really depends on what you deem more important. If the the strengths of both lenses are combined, it will be awesome, and come closer to the Nikon 24-70. For more info on the comparison of these 2 lenses, someone did a test and posted the results. You can see it here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/928921-Comparison-of-Sigma-24-70mm-F2.8-IF-EX-DG-HSM-and-Tamron-SP-AF-28-75mm-F2.8-XR-Di-LD

Thank you very much. Have been hoping someone can input their experiences on the Tamron.

If a lens can't focus well or fast enough, you don't need to consider image quality at all. U won't get the image in the first place.
Make your choice ... Just my 2c

ahboy168 said:
If a lens can't focus well or fast enough, you don't need to consider image quality at all. U won't get the image in the first place.

U got the point. You will not get the image u want.

U got the point. You will not get the image u want.

I wonder why I can still get the images I wanted to get at the split second with a lens that cannot focus fast or accurately enough?? hmmm... great mystery. ;) Like the picture below.
5627064226_14731e779c_z.jpg

In the end, you need to know your gears well. How each will react or perform in different conditions. Then you know how to capture the moments you need.

Last edited:
I second that tamron 28-75 is a very sharp copy. No doubt the af is slow but usually it's still able to perform well. To be frank, to some extend I think it's sharper than some prime lens. I owned sigma 50 1.4. The difference isn't really noticeable.

Thank you very much. Have been hoping someone can input their experiences on the Tamron.

May not be the best example of a shot by the Tamron 28-75 (AI-Servo, F2.8, ISO :6400), although the AF speed is not up to USM but I would say it's not a slow poke.

249730_10150224288713556_576318555_7088791_3320119_n.jpg

very keen on seeing more inputs. How is this lens wide open? Quite gian to get the non-bim version. affordable too! Any significant difference in IQ or AF speed for BIM v NON-BIM ?

Tamron 28-75mm use normal motor for AF bit noisy and slow, Sigma 24-70mm use HSM faster

I second that tamron 28-75 is a very sharp copy. No doubt the af is slow but usually it's still able to perform well. To be frank, to some extend I think it's sharper than some prime lens. I owned sigma 50 1.4. The difference isn't really noticeable.

The difference is very noticeable for me, the Sigma is much much sharper.

liionel said:
Hi DD, you use a 28-75 on your D700? BIM or NON-BIM ? Hows the AF and IQ? Seems like you got a sharp copy :)

Yup BIM on d700. In good light and in studio no problems whatsoever. In quite low light sometimes it struggles slightly. The key is to find a point with more contrast to focus when in low light. Eg, instead of focusing on the cheek or eye, i focus at the edge of the eye socket. Overall acceptable AF performance. ESP when I use AF-C.

IQ is very good in most of the centre area when wide open. I do not care too much about the extreme edges anyway. I do not use this lens for any landscape stuff.

Yup BIM on d700. In good light and in studio no problems whatsoever. In quite low light sometimes it struggles slightly. The key is to find a point with more contrast to focus when in low light. Eg, instead of focusing on the cheek or eye, i focus at the edge of the eye socket. Overall acceptable AF performance. ESP when I use AF-C.

IQ is very good in most of the centre area when wide open. I do not care too much about the extreme edges anyway. I do not use this lens for any landscape stuff.

thank you for sharing! any issues you've found with front/back focusing? seems like quite a number of users here have encountered that problem... :( (which is whats deterring me away from this gem)

thank you for sharing! any issues you've found with front/back focusing? seems like quite a number of users here have encountered that problem... :( (which is whats deterring me away from this gem)

On the D700 no issues whatsoever. On my D300s, it front focuses a little when close to MFD, but I take care of it with AF finetune.

Last edited: