Taking photos in restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another double standard that I notice is that if you use PnS, you have more leeway with flash. Normally I would use a higher ISO (perhaps 800), a smaller aperture for more sharper image (5.6 ++), and slow-sync flash (maybe shutter or 1/10 or slower). And I just point and click all the way. This is to assume that the quality I'm after are just for keepsakes of something to remember of.. then the setting is just to capture as much levity, mood and whatever impromptu happening. The size of the camera also makes it easier compared to SLR.

hate those double standards...dun usually have any problems even using flash constantly.
just that if the group is rather big like 10 or more people, some parts might b underexposed.

Nikon's D70s weakness is in noise control and u would see grain when your ISO is above 800. Not recommended. U see luminous noise. Red speckles.

50mm prime would not allow u to shoot wide. Thus, in restaurant setting, u may not be able to frame a group shot due to space. However, your 1.8 lens would allow u to step down your aperture to approx 3.5 in a group shot and u can compensate with your shutter.

yup..you assume correctly. candles not the subject.
been trying to capture some candid shots of me and my friends when dinnng out.
so far the results are not really pleasing....
either under exposed or subject causing slight motion blur. looks like a sharp n fast prime could be the possible answer to capture those moments without flash n in low light situations.

I'm not really sure about sharp and fast prime... sharp means it can go.. say .. F2.0 or F1.8... but note your depth of field, which still blur some parts, or rather major parts of the scene... at best you get a silhouette or mood shots but definitely not distinct enough to see the faces... It would be nice if you can experiment or if someone tried this before and prove I'm wrong. Hehe.

What you need is anti-physics and I have yet to see that feature. :)

I'm not really sure about sharp and fast prime... sharp means it can go.. say .. F2.0 or F1.8... but note your depth of field, which still blur some parts, or rather major parts of the scene... at best you get a silhouette or mood shots but definitely not distinct enough to see the faces... It would be nice if you can experiment or if someone tried this before and prove I'm wrong. Hehe.

What you need is anti-physics and I have yet to see that feature. :)

That is the reason why u can only go to approx 3.5 in a group shot.

Same, once at Mac Donald's, once at Burger Kings and once at a restaurant in 4 star hotel ...

Funny thing is tat they allow ppl to take group photographs.

Double standard
Haha... same experience.... to come to think about it, quite funny sometimes... That's experience...

That is the reason why u can only go to approx 3.5 in a group shot.

That's my point, at F3.5, having a fast and prime lens will not be much help. In fact, a group photo will need a wide angle. BTW, the objective was low-light photography. :)

That's my point, at F3.5, having a fast and prime lens will not be much help. In fact, a group photo will need a wide angle. BTW, the objective was low-light photography. :)

Agree. A wide angle angle lens would be more suitable for this type of shots. If have a gd 2.8 wide angle lens and when u open wide and shoot at 3.5 (is it 3.5 or 3.2), u will have a relatively clear and sharp depth of field for group. Hope that helps. 50mm prime may not help. Not wide enough and may not have enough depth for group. Prime produce very nice bokeh though.

Status
Not open for further replies.