susilo lost....

Status
Not open for further replies.
my assessment: against lin dan.. he didnt really hv the pressure.. playing against world no.1, he knew that even if he had lost, ppl would probably understand.. that's why he played his best and won!
after beating lin dan and subsequently the german player... our local media have blown the win into an epic proportion, claiming a medal is almost in the bag this round!...

new paper & straits times gave him front page today...

imagine the expectations and the pressure he has to carry on his shoulder from 4 million sporean...

well.. what more can i say? the final score said it all..

acroamatic said:
nothing to say? meaning?

still support him lah. lose once, everyone turns against him. i suppose everyone has forgotten the yonex open already. one of the reasons why people here don't get involved professionally in sports. singaporeans only want winners. but few have the guts to try. 'cos trying in sports usually involves losing every now and then.

singapore just doesn't have a sporting culture (in both senses of the phrase). only interested in winners. and betting. that's exactly why we'll get nowhere in the sporting world.

Nothing to say meaning he lost. If he wins, he win. Whether he win or loose so what. He tried. The pressure on him to win is great. Once he beats China's No 1 the pressure is even greater. This could be the reason for him losing.

Don't get me wrong dude. All our sportsmen may come back home without a single gold medal. It doesn't matter to me. We went and we tried. So saying that everuone is turning their back on him because he lost is jumping to conclusion. Yonex open is yonex open. Olympic is olympic.

wilis128 said:
my assessment: against lin dan.. he didnt really hv the pressure.. playing against world no.1, he knew that even if he had lost, ppl would probably understand.. that's why he played his best and won!
after beating lin dan and subsequently the german player... our local media have blown the win into an epic proportion, claiming a medal is almost in the bag this round!...

new paper & straits times gave him front page today...

imagine the expectations and the pressure he has to carry on his shoulder from 4 million sporean...

well.. what more can i say? the final score said it all..

My sentiments exactly. Though I may not put the words right.

a pity he lost.

LimCB, please think too, that whoever a country offers citizenship, has to practically uproot him/herself from her/her home country and settle elsewhere, and call it home. and family members may or may not join him/her, wherever he/she is.

it's a hard call. just ask your um, mexican ancestors.

call it incompetence, bad luck or whatever. singapore is just not destined for greatness in the sports arena. period.

our gov has poured millions of taxpayer's $$$$ building sports schools, top-notch facilities, hiring gd coaches and importing talents (aka giving away free citizenship) to no avail.

our athletes are donned in the best outfit money can buy. NIKE, ADIDAS, YONEX, dri-fit, climacool. you name it. but when we go on the field, we can't even beat pp from 3rd world countries using simple stuff.

funny thing is, even a war-torn, reduced-to-rubbles Iraq can find time to put together a team of soccer players that not only qualified for the Olympics but lasted long enough to beat Portugal. i hope this will wake our own boys up, how others succeeded while we fall flat on our face time & again.

and don't get me started abt our swimming team too...the darlings of our local press/magazines. nobody gets more attention then them, and that's the problem. voted "best looking", "most eligible", launch a book.... what a whole lot of crap. all we ask for is at least get near your own personal best, which none of them did in the current games.

despite all this, susilo's efforts is admirable. at least he got past 2 rounds, & he beat the world no. 1. tat itself is an amazin achievement. on the other hand, our swimmers will never get to taste even thorpe's ripples, cos they don't even qualify

for the naysayers, and those who complain... photography is somewhat like sport. photogs in the past used much less automatic stuff (no IC chips in those days) and yet still can produce good photos, while there are many people who have top end equipment, but produce crummy photos. does it mean we should shun technology?

technology is meant to assist us, and to as much as possible lower the hindrance to an athlete and/or our lives.

those who complain about government spending money on sports, though you may say, that you're the ones paying out the money, but dont you agree, if no effort is made, there would be even lesser possibility of anything? i've had the honour to meet our only Olympic medallist once two years ago, he was lamenting over the fact that in his days, they gain nothing from winning a medal, compared to the carrots that are offered for achievements now. but let's not forget, life in the 50's and 60's is different from now of the 21st century too.

i may not have a long history in local sport, but i believe i know my fair share to let those who want to make noise, see more and further than just what their eyes show them right now.

Totally agree that the weight of the whole nation's pressure was upon Susilo...he looked so stressed today as compared to the previous 2 games. I'm still very happy that he managed to get to quarter finals :).

Though I'm no sports person, I think it's not really fair to compare us to the other countries who have larger populations so they would have larger pools of sports talents by virtue of simple maths. Also, some of our athletes can't even afford to train full time.

Don't put our team down pls, m sure they gave their best. This is the Olympics...the pressure is so great. Look at the China synchronised diving men who unfortunately got zero on their 5th diving round.

Jia you Team Singapore!

sehsuan said:
for the naysayers, and those who complain... photography is somewhat like sport. photogs in the past used much less automatic stuff (no IC chips in those days) and yet still can produce good photos, while there are many people who have top end equipment, but produce crummy photos. does it mean we should shun technology?

technology is meant to assist us, and to as much as possible lower the hindrance to an athlete and/or our lives.

those who complain about government spending money on sports, though you may say, that you're the ones paying out the money, but dont you agree, if no effort is made, there would be even lesser possibility of anything? i've had the honour to meet our only Olympic medallist once two years ago, he was lamenting over the fact that in his days, they gain nothing from winning a medal, compared to the carrots that are offered for achievements now. but let's not forget, life in the 50's and 60's is different from now of the 21st century too.

i may not have a long history in local sport, but i believe i know my fair share to let those who want to make noise, see more and further than just what their eyes show them right now.

hi sehsuan,

i'm not a local sports person, since you are maybe you can enlighten me abt how Iraq football qualified and we didn't. :think: :dunno: (saddam was on the field somewhere?) :)

mercuryblue said:
hi sehsuan,

i'm not a local sports person, since you are maybe you can enlighten me abt how Iraq football qualified and we didn't. :think: :dunno: (saddam was on the field somewhere?) :)

i'm a local sportsperson, so i wouldn't be able to answer you about what goes on in Iraq, for sports. but i do remember an article shown in the newspapers about uday using torture to ensure the athletes are literally kept on their toes. didn't you see it in the papers?

Very bad performance just now., luckily second set can get 1 point from opponent., otherwise end up with 15-0 lagi malu...
Anti-climax after playing all out at prelimenary round against Lin Dan.....
Not only him, Chinese end up its hope in men's single and men's double.
Korea also down with its all time favorite mixed double who lost to Denmark.
This is Athens 2004.......... hell for everyone.

I didn't watch the match but I'm sad to hear Susilo lost. :( But I feel very proud of him for getting to where he is.

Time and again, we get differnt camps of people supporting and playing down our sportsmen here. The truth is, it's not the government's or athletes' fault. As to the age old question as to why poor nations can even qualify in the big gsames when a developed country like us can't, it's the pathetic lack of sports culture here.

When I heard about the prize money local athletes are given, I thot it was incredulously funny, if not sort of insulting? S$1 million reward for a gold. Will money really suddenly motivate our sports people to wake up and say, hey I can be that richer if I work even harder?

I hate to say this, call me a pessimistic or wet blanket, but usually I'm not... Our sports school will not be going anywhere far. I don't care how much money we have, how good the facilities are, but as long as we don't have the culture here, forget the whole thing! When it was reported only students with certain PSLE qualification (at least Express stream??) can make it to the School, I was darn pissed off with the authorities. You want a lawyer or doctor and also the same person to represent Singapore in the big games and win a medal? Which dream are you dreaming??? And when some clown started projecting Goal 2010 for Singapore to make it to the World Cup finals, it was tickling funny on one hand, yet nauseatingly sick!

I don't think Singapore will ever make it big in international sports over a long period of time. It's hard to change a culture over a few years. Look at the Cortesy campaign. As far as I remember, it was happening since I was a kid in 1979. Till today it's still on that they have to remind us to stand behind the yellow line, let passengers go out of train first, give up your seat to those who need it first, etc. And what do we see? Still many people who don't! What made us so confident suddenly Singapore is gonna have a chance to win a medal at the Olympics where only the best of the best athletes compete? Sure get more foreign athletes and make them Singaporeans but at the end of the day, I'd say work at changing our sports culture first!

1 big reason why athletes from poor nations (or those from developed countries) succeed and not us, is that of pure passion. It's the love of what they are doing. It's not I get to write a book, I get to be a pin-up boy or girl in the papers, or I get to study in some top Secondary school or jc by default. Brazilian kids are known to kick anything! No, they don't always have the lush green fields that we have here. Make-shifts paper perhaps too as a ball. Poor kids in the slums play basketball bare-feet without a proper net. They only know how to enjoy the game and be better. Our kids? Ermmm, "I think I need to study hard for the coming tests next 2 weeks, and then the exams. Afterall, I'm slated to be a doctor or a successful lawyer."

1 thing I notice here is that many people can say which team they support in the EPL, and they can give excellent commentaries about the match last night between this team and that. But the irony is that there is a high chance they don't even kick a single ball!

I don't think we should be overly disappointed we are an unknown in sports. It's just the situation here. Just as car prices here are crazily high. But the government is not to be blamed as some conveniently attribute to. If cars were much cheaper, then expect crazy traffic jams! We have different priorities but we are excellent in many other areas. As for sports, just dream and dream we will one day see a Singaporean on the rostrum... Olympics, World Cup... Why not we just watch the pros and dedicated sportsmen from other countries on TV.

As for our remaining sprotsmen and women, I wish them the best in the Olympics! At the end of they day, they are still our heros and heroines to wear the shirts that represent us. Unfortunately, we just dont have the culture here for them.

very very well written... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kiwi2 said:
I didn't watch the match but I'm sad to hear Susilo lost. :( But I feel very proud of him for getting to where he is.

Time and again, we get differnt camps of people supporting and playing down our sportsmen here. The truth is, it's not the government's or athletes' fault. As to the age old question as to why poor nations can even qualify in the big gsames when a developed country like us can't, it's the pathetic lack of sports culture here.

When I heard about the prize money local athletes are given, I thot it was incredulously funny, if not sort of insulting? S$1 million reward for a gold. Will money really suddenly motivate our sports people to wake up and say, hey I can be that richer if I work even harder?

I hate to say this, call me a pessimistic or wet blanket, but usually I'm not... Our sports school will not be going anywhere far. I don't care how much money we have, how good the facilities are, but as long as we don't have the culture here, forget the whole thing! When it was reported only students with certain PSLE qualification (at least Express stream??) can make it to the School, I was darn pissed off with the authorities. You want a lawyer or doctor and also the same person to represent Singapore in the big games and win a medal? Which dream are you dreaming??? And when some clown started projecting Goal 2010 for Singapore to make it to the World Cup finals, it was tickling funny on one hand, yet nauseatingly sick!

I don't think Singapore will ever make it big in international sports over a long period of time. It's hard to change a culture over a few years. Look at the Cortesy campaign. As far as I remember, it was happening since I was a kid in 1979. Till today it's still on that they have to remind us to stand behind the yellow line, let passengers go out of train first, give up your seat to those who need it first, etc. And what do we see? Still many people who don't! What made us so confident suddenly Singapore is gonna have a chance to win a medal at the Olympics where only the best of the best athletes compete? Sure get more foreign athletes and make them Singaporeans but at the end of the day, I'd say work at changing our sports culture first!

1 big reason why athletes from poor nations (or those from developed countries) succeed and not us, is that of pure passion. It's the love of what they are doing. It's not I get to write a book, I get to be a pin-up boy or girl in the papers, or I get to study in some top Secondary school or jc by default. Brazilian kids are known to kick anything! No, they don't always have the lush green fields that we have here. Make-shifts paper perhaps too as a ball. Poor kids in the slums play basketball bare-feet without a proper net. They only know how to enjoy the game and be better. Our kids? Ermmm, "I think I need to study hard for the coming tests next 2 weeks, and then the exams. Afterall, I'm slated to be a doctor or a successful lawyer."

1 thing I notice here is that many people can say which team they support in the EPL, and they can give excellent commentaries about the match last night between this team and that. But the irony is that there is a high chance they don't even kick a single ball!

I don't think we should be overly disappointed we are an unknown in sports. It's just the situation here. Just as car prices here are crazily high. But the government is not to be blamed as some conveniently attribute to. If cars were much cheaper, then expect crazy traffic jams! We have different priorities but we are excellent in many other areas. As for sports, just dream and dream we will one day see a Singaporean on the rostrum... Olympics, World Cup... Why not we just watch the pros and dedicated sportsmen from other countries on TV.

As for our remaining sprotsmen and women, I wish them the best in the Olympics! At the end of they day, they are still our heros and heroines to wear the shirts that represent us. Unfortunately, we just dont have the culture here for them.

Li Jia Wei of the table tennis team is leading with 3-2 out of 7 games now against the japanese. hope she'll be able to qualify for the quarter finals at least. :cheergal: GO TEAM SINGAPORE GO!!! :cheergal:

jbma said:
Nothing to say meaning he lost. If he wins, he win. Whether he win or loose so what. He tried. The pressure on him to win is great. Once he beats China's No 1 the pressure is even greater. This could be the reason for him losing.

Don't get me wrong dude. All our sportsmen may come back home without a single gold medal. It doesn't matter to me. We went and we tried. So saying that everuone is turning their back on him because he lost is jumping to conclusion. Yonex open is yonex open. Olympic is olympic.
apologies for jumping to conclusions. well, hard to know what you meant when you said, "nothing to say"... could have meant lots of things! :dunno:

oeyvind said:
very very well written... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hee-hee.. Thanks.. I want to see our Singaporean bro or sis standing on the rostrum and hopefully hear Majulah Singapura being played. But then, I think that's like an elusive dream...

jonlou said:
Li Jia Wei of the table tennis team is leading with 3-2 out of 7 games now against the japanese. hope she'll be able to qualify for the quarter finals at least. :cheergal: GO TEAM SINGAPORE GO!!! :cheergal:

She just did!!!! :vhappy:

ok. she just won. she's playing against world no.1(i think.... :sweatsm: ) in the quarter-finals. :cheergal: TEAM SINGAPORE!!!:cheergal:

kiwi2 said:
As for our remaining sportsmen and women, I wish them the best in the Olympics! At the end of they day, they are still our heros and heroines to wear the shirts that represent us. Unfortunately, we just dont have the culture here for them.
Totally agreed!

Saturday mornings in the US, I've seen kids playing baseball, basketball and football (soccer). Not doing it 'cos it's an ECA/CCA. Families all there (sometimes grandparents too), supporting... okay, some parents pile on quite a bit of pressure... but for most part, kids doing it for the fun of it. Something for everyone really. Gets the whole family involved. Little League.

Saturday mornings in Melbourne, Oz... I've seen kids playing Australian Rules Football. Pretty much the same scenario as above. Just a different sport. And the Melburnians eat, sleep and breath their Australian Rules. Win or lose, they wear their allegiances proudly. And trust me, it takes a lot of face to wear a losing team's colours.

This is sports culture. Do we want this? Can we have this? Of course, it's not all positive lah. But as things stand, very difficult to imagine this in Singapore. Too caught up in the rat race. If the rat race is a sport, we'd be in for a chance at medals every year.

As many of you have said or alluded to, we are fans of winners, not of sport itself. I'm sure there are not many Charlton supporters here. Nor Real Sociedad supporters. Or what about Greece fans before Euro 2004? Or Chicago Bulls fans currently? Who watches rugby here and roots for... Italy? Doesn't help that the media also likes winners... so all Singaporeans get to see on TV are winners from around the globe... further fuelling our 'love' for winning teams and individuals. Doesn't matter which sport... 'cos...

ooops... rambling.

think i shall just go back to saying that it's the taking part that matters. :)

congrats to jia wei... lose, nvm, we still appreciate your effort!

sehsuan said:
i'm a local sportsperson, so i wouldn't be able to answer you about what goes on in Iraq, for sports. but i do remember an article shown in the newspapers about uday using torture to ensure the athletes are literally kept on their toes. didn't you see it in the papers?

nope, i missed that article. but how much truth that article holds nobody knows.

even if that's true, something +ve did come out from saddam's regime afterall, their athletes achieved despite all adversities. that's the spirit. :thumbsup: anyway, the war started b4 the olympic trials. if the athletes were forced into it as suggested, there would be no reason why the footballers continued playing after the regim crumbled.

for us, if 'chatay' was an olympic event (yes, the feather shuttlecock which we kick around as kids), i don't think we'd get past round 1.

don't get me wrong, i don't blame our local athletes alone for the failures, it's not fair just to blame you guys alone. every sport requires team effort. even individual sports need coaches, so that in itself is a 'team'.

neither, do i hv anything against the gov for the money spent. achieving sports glory is a matter of national pride, and it takes time & money.

for me, what's wrong is somewhere in the system. we hv the infrastructure, the eqpt, money, we even import FT to make up for the small population. but we're still somehow knocking on the wrong doors, or barking up the wrong trees or taking the wrong corners. that's what i mean by "we're not destined...", cos i just can't put my finger on it, and hv no one else to blame. so blame it on destiny.

well, you're a sportsperson. sincerely, i wish u gd luck in your endeavours and hope you'd achieve olympic glory someday and make me eat my words.

in the meantime, perhaps we could look into hiring saddam to head our sports team. :devil: :bsmilie:

kiwi2 said:

Well said! :thumbsup:

Sports is not just about winning and losing. Its pure hard work, dedication, self discipline and commitment.

Those people who just point their fingers and pass bad remarks to our sportsman. Haven't really been into sports...maybe couch potatoes watching TV and just complaining why our sportsman lost again.

I believe people who are physically active understand what our sportsman had put into.

What we can't experience is the immense pressure they faced during competition.

Perhaps Susilo was physically and mentally drain after the previous 2 matches, especially the one against Lin Dan.

He had done us proud. :thumbsup:

About the debate about foreign talent. Come on, he's one of us.

Imagine we tried something and we failed, what would our family do? Still will pat us on the back and said, "We know you've done what you can, look ahead and don't dwell on it."

If we don't treat our sportsman as family, they will be disheartened and its very demoralising to know that your family don't stand behind you.

Please give them a pat on the back and :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.