Superintendent of detention centre sacked over Mas Selamat's escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada's Foreign Minister has resigned over a security lapse concerning classified documents belonging to him that were left behind in his girlfriend's apartment.

isn't that obvious its his (more or less) personal mistake?

The question here is direct accountability.

A driver is responsible for driving safely and properly, the vehicle commander is responsible for ensuring that the driver drives safely and all other safety measures are put into place. When an accident happens, the cause can sometimes be traced back to specific reasons, and in turn to specific person or people.

My experience with those drivers who are sentenced to DB is such that all of them drive in unsafe manner i.e. half asleep at the wheel when told repeated to rest early instead of staying awake the whole night etc, steer left instead of right, trying to overtake when instructed not to, keeping too close distances with the vehicle in front. I have also come across damage to vehicles that drivers could not possibly have noticed e.g. wheel coming loose, constantly engaged brakes that caused the brake pad to burn and catch fire etc. The drivers in such cases were not implicated.

As for the superintendent, it was his job to ensure that the detention facility was maintained in ways that they are built for. Should something happen, he would ultimately be held accountable, along with all other people who are involved.

Mr Wong's job is to ensure such people are held accountable, and what is happenning now shows that he is doing his work, albeit in a reactive manner.

i am shocked as to how the contractor managed to talk his way out not installing the grill. shouldn't the contractor be in a way made responsible? :think: cos if the grill is there, it would not have led to such an unfortunate string of events.

Superintendent of detention centre sacked because of direct accountability. The superintendent is the right person for the right job and the right place (detention centre or rehabilitation centre), the only thing wrong is the Mas Selamat.

For example, if you put a bird into a tiger cage, the bird will fly away but the tiger will still remain. The logic is very simple, and you know the answer.

If Mas Selamat is such a dangerous person, with plan to destroy our Changi Airport, and had escape jail from Indonsia before, by putting him at the rehabilitation centre and so naive that we pray that he will be rehabilitated.

Direct accountability apply here, and so the Superintendent of detention centre sacked. Agreed, but WHO classify Mas Selamat is a very nation loving person, should give him some changes, by giving enough time he can be rehabilitated. The law of accountability should apply to the "WHO". The detention centre is not design for Mas Selamat, and he is the wrong person to be there. By putting him there, we are expecting hime to perform (escape).

So, the rule of accountability should apply to the decision maker who classify Mas Selamat as a person can be rehabilitated and locate him at the detention centre.

My dear Lmodel

If you ask Mr Wong to resign, will you or anyone be able to replace him. Surely you cannot expect a Chee to be your Home Affair Minister, right.

Superintendent of detention centre sacked over Mas Selamat's escape
By Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 26 May 2008 1437 hrs

SINGAPORE: The superintendent of the Whitley Road Detention Centre has been sacked over security lapses that led to the escape of Jemaah Islamiyah detainee Mas Selamat Kastari. His deputy has also been demoted in rank, with a corresponding pay cut.

The two were the most senior officers in charge of the ground management of the detention centre, and were among six Internal Security Department (ISD) officers charged over the escape.

Two other Gurkha officers were also charged and have been demoted after pleading guilty.

Deputy Prime Minister and Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng disclosed the moves when he updated Parliament on the disciplinary action taken after Mas Selamat's escape.

Mas Selamat had escaped from a ventilation window in a toilet at the detention centre on February 27 and remains at large.

No grilles were mounted on the window. Mr Wong said the superintendent should have instructed the renovation contractor to install grilles on the ventilation window.

Instead, the superintendent asked for the handle of the window to be sawn off in the mistaken belief that it was a sufficient security measure. This, Mr Wong said, was a serious error.

The superintendent and his deputy have also been held accountable for the lack of supervision over the subordinate officers implicated in the escape.

Mr Wong said the ISD's command director, whom the superintendent reported to, has also been relieved of his duties on April 24.

Although the command director was neither directly nor indirectly linked to the lapses of specific officers down the line, and he was not at fault over the lapses, Mr Wong said he was formally the apex of the supervisory and management chain of command overseeing the detention centre. - CNA/ac

Can't believe it. The last 2 para states that the ISD's command director has been relieved of his duties but was not at fault over the lapses. It happens just becuase he was the top at the chain of command overseeing the detention centre.

In this case, I think it is only fair that our Mr. Wong be relieved of his duties since he overseas the whole Home Affairs. :dunno::dunno:

My dear Lmodel

If you ask Mr Wong to resign, will you or anyone be able to replace him. Surely you cannot expect a Chee to be your Home Affair Minister, right.

Me, me, me! :lovegrin:
I promise to resign if something screw up.

Status
Not open for further replies.