Summilux R 80 1.4 or Canon 85L 1.2?

I own both lenses (The canon II version - 2011 and a Leica 3055*** -1980/leitax af converted) on canon 5D mark II and now I bought the III version. Without a doubt I prefer BY far the Leica lens. I have test both lenses In similar conditions and the Leica is sharper the bokeh is incomparable and the 9 aperture blades VS the 8 (canon) are definitely giving better BOKEH. In burst mode I can easily get one out of 3 shots in focus with the Leica manual AF. I use it on every wedding since I own it, I have ****ed up far less shots with the Leica then with the Canon L 85mm 1.2.

Last edited:
Last edited:
prefer canon 85mm f1.2L mk2...
best of the all of class..
leica is nothing.. just for prestige...

I am very sad with such statement... you will miss a lot of good R-lens from leica.

How bout the relatively new Sigma 85 f1.4, its half the cost of a Canon 85 f1.2L, focuses faster than the glacier-like speed of the 85L.

Has excellent out-of-focus blur too!

Sample image

Evening Spring by FrutigerSans, on Flickr

And there are many glowing reviews of it…
Sigma 85 mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM review - Summary - Lenstip.com
Review: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 » Ryan Brenizer — NYC Wedding Photographer. Problem solver, storyteller.

If you do not want to sacrifice AF. Consider a converted Contax N 85mm f1.4 Planar.

CONTAX N 85mm F1.4 PLANAR LENS REVIEW

How bout the relatively new Sigma 85 f1.4, its half the cost of a Canon 85 f1.2L, focuses faster than the glacier-like speed of the 85L.

Has excellent out-of-focus blur too!

Sample image

Evening Spring by FrutigerSans, on Flickr

And there are many glowing reviews of it…
Sigma 85 mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM review - Summary - Lenstip.com
Review: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 » Ryan Brenizer — NYC Wedding Photographer. Problem solver, storyteller.

Sigma's 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.4 are great lens and value for money, if you found a set without focusing issues. :)

If you compare grey set with grey set, 50 f1.4 is 1/3 of 50 f1.2, and 85 f1.4 is 45% of 85 f1.2

85L for me, becoz of AF.

Last edited:
The summilux r 80mm is quite rare on the 2nd hand market. Roughly how much would it cost? I suspect it would be in the ball park of $4k.

If cost is not an issue, I would go for the summilux if paired with the 5D1 or 5D2. But will go for the 85L if paired with the 5D3.

Sigma's 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.4 are great lens and value for money, if you found a set without focusing issues. :)

If you compare grey set with grey set, 50 f1.4 is 1/3 of 50 f1.2, and 85 f1.4 is 45% of 85 f1.2

If you bought a local set, just bring it back to Sigma and they will adjust it for you for free. Takes about a day and call to make an appointment before hand. From experience most Sigma lenses are slightly off but once you get them adjusted they are amazing. A hassle but worth it if you like the Sigma look.

Last edited:
If you bought a local set, just bring it back to Sigma and they will adjust it for you for free. Takes about a day and call to make an appointment before hand. From experience most Sigma lenses are slightly off but once you get them adjusted they are amazing. A hassle but worth it if you like the Sigma look.

or just test a few copies on the spot. the newer productions one had better QC I suspect. Another forum-er I knew got a sharp copy of Sigma 50 f1.4 too :)

If you bring in your lens to Sigma for calibration, will you need to leave your body there?

If you bring in your lens to Sigma for calibration, will you need to leave your body there?

For most accurate calibration, you’ll have too. but usually if you have a specific issue like a front focus, just tell them its a front focus, and they will calibrate it to standards (compensating for the front focus). You can tune it with AF-microadjust.

For my 5Ds, my Sigma 85 is spot-on on one, and needed a −5 MA on the other. Both then yielded similar result in images.

or just test a few copies on the spot. the newer productions one had better QC I suspect. Another forum-er I knew got a sharp copy of Sigma 50 f1.4 too :)

For the Sigma 50, get one with the new smooth coating, versus the old ‘peach-fuzz’ coating, as they have dramatically improved their QC. I have a “peach-fuzz” one but I was lucky, a lot of other peeps I know with older copies have quite a bit of issue.

Personally I never understood the Brand-fanaticism - whatever lens gives the results at whatever price, I’ll use it. I have Canon zooms and Sigma primes and it’s all rosy. :)

I use the 85L for sports, but I don't use AF, instead I use MF with the EG-S screen.

I use it wide open 90% of the time so the aperture blade issue does not affect me.

Contemplated getting the 80mm R but can't find a nice copy.

Good alternatives are the Sigma and the Zeiss 85mm.

Last edited:
mamypoko said:
I use the 85L for sports, but I don't use AF, instead I use MF with the EG-S screen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeylu/6933799869/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeylu/6787669524/

I use it wide open 90% of the time so the aperture blade issue does not affect me.

Manual focus for sports! Wow! I'm really impressed. *respect*

Granted the precision screen is really good - my 5D2 has it too.

Have you tried shooting events like a wedding dinner (low light) manual focus?

85L AF in low light is abysmal, especially for the quick moment to moment pace for events.

shooting sports with MF :eek:
/salutes.

I've used it in low light, darkest event I was at was the Sundown Marathon, MF is not a problem.

AF on the 85L is ok for day to day subjects but for sports even on my 1D body it cannot keep up with the speed of the runner when they close in. I also use the Sigma 120-300mm and surprisingly the AF on that lens is very good.

Manual focus for sports! Wow! I'm really impressed. *respect*

Granted the precision screen is really good - my 5D2 has it too.

Have you tried shooting events like a wedding dinner (low light) manual focus?

85L AF in low light is abysmal, especially for the quick moment to moment pace for events.

AF on the 85L is ok for day to day subjects but for sports even on my 1D body it cannot keep up with the speed of the runner when they close in. I also use the Sigma 120-300mm and surprisingly the AF on that lens is very good.

Yea this is my experience too. The speed of travel between MFD to infinity is way to slow.. A huge hinderance like in events where speed is as important as accuracy.