Suggestions on lens upgrade for Canon APS-C camera

ebinva

Mar 26, 2017
Singapore
Hi Guys,

I am new to photography.
I have a Canon 80d with 18-55mm kit lens.
Looking to upgrade my kit lens.
I will be traveling to Europe in December, looking for a lens/lenses which can be used to take photography in city and landscape photography. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated..

What's exactly wrong with your kit lens? Too long? Too short? Too slow?
Before buying anything, you need to determine the reason and what are you trying to solve. The kit lens is pretty decent with STM and IS.
What is your budget?

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for wide angle lens for landscape like which could perform better in low light situation, I was looking at canon 10-18mm but not sure whether it is good for low light situation. The other lens I was looking at is Rokinon 14mm f2.8 or tokina 11-16mm f/2.8.. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: Ah Keong
The 10-18 is a good choice, but the maximum aperture is in the same range as the kit lens. The 80D is not that bad in low light situations and a bit of grain is no deal breaker, unless it is professional work.
Tokina 11-16 has the advantage of wider aperture, that would definitely help in low light situations. Check carefully for Rokinon, many of these lenses are manual focus and aperture.
Last but not least, also check the weight of the lens and your intended usage. In the city, for dedicated shootings, the added weight might not matter. On a mountain hiking or other holiday trips it can be a different topic.

Reactions: ebinva and Ah Keong
I would recommend the Canon EF-S 10-18mm IS STM or the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD

For low light, the Tokina AT-X 11-20mm f/2.8 Pro DX is a good .

Reactions: ebinva