Strobe vs. Continuous Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahahah you guys are funny what i meant product as Bottles; Toys etc. Not food type of product lah hahhahaha

Hahahah you guys are funny what i meant product as Bottles; Toys etc. Not food type of product lah hahhahaha

Even then, a colour cast would be an issue. Normally, continous lighting is used for filming rather than photography.

anything that does not move, not human, not animal, manmade or not, can be bought and sold all can consider products, ranging cosmetic to cars, fruits to antique furniture....

anyway, Continuous Lighting does not have extensive light modifier like softboxes, shooting products like bottles will have troubles on spectacular highlight.

anything that does not move, not human, not animal, manmade or not, can be bought and sold all can consider products, ranging cosmetic to cars, fruits to antique furniture....

anyway, Continuous Lighting does not have extensive light modifier like softboxes, shooting products like bottles will have troubles on spectacular highlight.

Some continuous lighting, like those from Lowel, do have quite a nice range of light modifiers. Most Lowel lights are modular in terms of these modifiers, and you can mount shoot through umbrellas, softboxes, and colour correction gels from them.

Some continuous lighting, like those from Lowel, do have quite a nice range of light modifiers. Most Lowel lights are modular in terms of these modifiers, and you can mount shoot through umbrellas, softboxes, and colour correction gels from them.
yes, continuous lighting like Lowel, have extensive range of lights and accessory, usually cost more than strobe light.

people here are looking for continuous lighting as cheap alternate lighting for studio photography, thus not take such brands into consideration, beside, sure lighting system is more on video or cine, not for still image.

anyway, I did consider using Lowel for interior photography many years ago, in the end, just use studio lighting instead of buying a new set of Continuous lighting.

At the end of the day, trying to use cheapo continuous lights for portrait or still life work ends up being more of a pain than anything else, and the cost builds up as one tries to correct and compensate for short-comings. Having said that, some cheap alternatives like snooting IKEA lamps can do wonders in tight layouts!

And high quality cont light is expensive. Nothing beats learning the properties of light, how to see and control light and start off with cheapo monoblocs or 2nd hand higher end units like Elinchroms, Balcars or Bowens. Spend more on good modifiers and stable stands. There is a whole lot more to flash other than umbrellas and softboxes.

By the way Guys;

I just bought a 200w Strobe at Orient Photo around $215 includes Softbox and Stand. Or you can choose either SoftBox or Umbrella.

This is meant for Basic Home Studio. Brand Photon.

From my Humble opinion it's also not bad to use SpeedFlash with a lightstand with lightbox or Umbrella.

PS: Every night I play with my dolls under those light. No models so pity me

3902680931_ae204c4790.jpg

By the way Guys;

I just bought a 200w Strobe at Orient Photo around $215 includes Softbox and Stand. Or you can choose either SoftBox or Umbrella.

This is meant for Basic Home Studio. Brand Photon.

From my Humble opinion it's also not bad to use SpeedFlash with a lightstand with lightbox or Umbrella.

PS: Every night I play with my dolls under those light. No models so pity me

3902680931_ae204c4790.jpg

Hey Metal, what is the dimension of the softbox and do you think the 200W strobe is strong enough for portraiture shots indoor? Were there any higher Watts available? :)

Last edited:
Hi Bro;

For that only one is not enough for a group potrait. (200W). One person still can.
Total I have 200W x 3 but 2 for me is sufficient. (this strobes just Fill Light)
I also used SB900 x 1 to create lights effect (trial and error to get what u want) positioning and flash power. Camera exposure etc.

Soft Box Dimesion 27 x 20 inches

I bought that 200w strobes at $250 each with soft box, light stand at Orient Photo. Very reasonable photo.

Tips:
1. If you do not need natural lights; block outside lights with curtain and OFF your house light.
2. Used the built in strobe light adjust your models. This light toggles to Flash when trigger your camera.

3. Also transceiver is helpful To activate your flash or strobes if you do not want to mount or activate your on board camera flash. (1 x transceiver will be enough).

4. Lastly You will be sweating like hell. Prepare some x 2 fans.

Thanks for reading (this is my sincere tips what i experience)
If there is another good method I don't mind sharing.

try use Continuous lighting to shoot ice cream.

ha ha tis is a good one! Believe you are referring to tungsten bulbs here. Ya the ice
cream shoot should become a milk shake shoot,

There are some bulbs tat run cool, basically those energy saving kind. Their light is usually white (actually bluish)

but im not too sure if they are being used in photographic light equipment,

I see some stronger watts bulb but cooler type in Sim Lim Tower. The problem is that I cant find the holder to hold the bulb with electrical input. I wish I can find it I want to use it as a backdrop light (cost saving).
I saw some examples in You Tube they use it as their DIY studio photography.
Cheap bright lamp with holder and clamp.

you can check out this you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zARqGgHjNc

Hi, Actually, l'm a sis! Haha.. Thanks for your advice..

anyone knows where is a convenient place to get a 1000w tungsten bulb?

I think you get the halogen spotlight tube better... :sweat:

anyone knows where is a convenient place to get a 1000w tungsten bulb?

I think you get the halogen spotlight tube better... :sweat:
IIRC, the halogen spotlight tube you can find locally is only 75~150w, and it is 12v.

FF, do you already have a housing for the 1000w tungsten bulb? if yes, get the bulb from the same source, if not, don't anyhow get a housing for the 1000w tungsten bulb, else it is too dangerous, may start fire anytime.

the only 500w or higher wattage bulb or light I know of is the outdoor floodlight. where people use it for light the building exterior or billboard, if you use it for portrait lighting, your subject might get cooked or blind before the session over.

IIRC, the halogen spotlight tube you can find locally is only 75~150w, and it is 12v.

FF, do you already have a housing for the 1000w tungsten bulb? if yes, get the bulb from the same source, if not, don't anyhow get a housing for the 1000w tungsten bulb, else it is too dangerous, may start fire anytime.

the only 500w or higher wattage bulb or light I know of is the outdoor floodlight. where people use it for light the building exterior or billboard, if you use it for portrait lighting, your subject might get cooked or blind before the session over.

already got a 1000w hotlamp but using 500w bulb now. wanna try it at 1000w. but because the bulb is similar to floodlights, i have no idea where to get it.

btw my model was very sporting to let me use it on him. too bad cannot show u here cos editorial. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.