street photography

kei1309 said:
i ever got grabbed by a lady around the shoulders and shouted at in the face..... when i wasn't shooting her :bsmilie:

I was sitting in a foodcourt with friends going through the images(with front cap on). Didnt even notice a lady opp me when she suddenly walks up and says: 'sorry but I'm a bit sensitive, can you pls stop pointing your camera at my direction'
I just give her a duh look while pointing at the front cap.
Phew that's a fat auntie...

Astroben said:
I was sitting in a foodcourt with friends going through the images(with front cap on). Didnt even notice a lady opp me when she suddenly walks up and says: 'sorry but I'm a bit sensitive, can you pls stop pointing your camera at my direction'
I just give her a duh look while pointing at the front cap.
Phew that's a fat auntie...

Haha same here. I was also reviewing my photos while waiting for my wife at the Body Shop sale when I heard a booming "Hello! Hello! No taking photos blah blah blah!". Everyone was looking so I made an even bigger scene by pointing at the lens cap--"Can't you see this?!? And I'm not into taking photos of body scrubs! What's wrong with you??" Everyone laughed as he walked away fuming LOL.

digitalpimp said:
Haha same here. I was also reviewing my photos while waiting for my wife at the Body Shop sale when I heard a booming "Hello! Hello! No taking photos blah blah blah!". Everyone was looking so I made an even bigger scene by pointing at the lens cap--"Can't you see this?!? And I'm not into taking photos of body scrubs! What's wrong with you??" Everyone laughed as he walked away fuming LOL.

Haha nice...
My friends and I did a silent protest by pointing cam straight at her after she walks back to her seat. This time it's straight at her!

Many years when I was shooting in shanghai, opposite the tv station that look like spaceship, a china lady come to me and insist that I delete her picture. I told her I am not shooting her (she is with a man who didn't make any noise). In the end, show her my screen until she is happy.
Guess what cam I am using .....

It is only a Pns.

ahboy168 said:
Many years when I was shooting in shanghai, opposite the tv station that look like spaceship, a china lady come to me and insist that I delete her picture. I told her I am not shooting her (she is with a man who didn't make any noise). In the end, show her my screen until she is happy.
Guess what cam I am using .....

It is only a Pns.

PnS smaller and easier to arouse suspicion maybe.

If you think you got a shot which you think is "super good". And the shot is taken on the streets, you can go ahead to argue your point.

From my understand.. when you take a photo in public, it's for PUBLIC VIEW. ;)
I won a quarrel before, just nice that day I wasn't in the best of mood. That "aunty" lost the case when the police arrived and explain her that.

ah....i only have a 45mm and 17mm... :(

in daylight, set your 17mm to hyperfocal distance, set to f8, hang camera round neck and shoot away from the hip/chest/stomach. you don't even have to be looking at your subject.

If you think you got a shot which you think is "super good". And the shot is taken on the streets, you can go ahead to argue your point.

From my understand.. when you take a photo in public, it's for PUBLIC VIEW. ;)
I won a quarrel before, just nice that day I wasn't in the best of mood. That "aunty" lost the case when the police arrived and explain her that.

There is no privacy act in Singapore and the law provides that photography of anyone is legal, unless the photo outrages the modesty of another, contains nudity or if you subject is a government officer performing a lawful duty.

There is no privacy act in Singapore and the law provides that photography of anyone is legal, unless the photo outrages the modesty of another, contains nudity or if you subject is a government officer performing a lawful duty.

i just took a picture of a half-naked man yesterday. bottom half or top half... up to you to guess :bsmilie:

and yes. it's in public :bsmilie:

i just took a picture of a half-naked man yesterday. bottom half or top half... up to you to guess :bsmilie:

and yes. it's in public :bsmilie:

hahaha.. It topless for men is usually ok and quite common, dunno why. =P

I wish the same could be said for women :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I took a full version of a topless lady in Red Sea and her reaction what a body I have.

While we like to take photographs of others, we have to be sensitive and respect their right too. For reasons only known to them, they may not want to be photographed on that occasion.

The correct way is to tell the person you suspect of taking photograph of you nicely that you do not wish to be photographed. If I am the photographer, I would also be happy to delete and apologize.

We are all civilized people, can always talk and no need to shout. So many people on the street not necessary must be that particular one.

I took a full version of a topless lady in Red Sea and her reaction what a body I have.

Try taking one at palawan beach.. hahahaha

While we like to take photographs of others, we have to be sensitive and respect their right too. For reasons only known to them, they may not want to be photographed on that occasion.

The correct way is to tell the person you suspect of taking photograph of you nicely that you do not wish to be photographed. If I am the photographer, I would also be happy to delete and apologize.

We are all civilized people, can always talk and no need to shout. So many people on the street not necessary must be that particular one.

Hello Victor, we meet online after meeting a couple of times in real-life.

I've never done streets, so maybe you can be my shifu in streets like Larry is my shifu in studio.. hahahahah

What lens you use for streets though

Hi, as you know, I am a novice in photography but should have enough 'human' skill.

What you don't like, don't do it on others is very basic. If they feel good and like being photographed, no problem even if you don't ask. Otherwise, use a long lens safer.

When you travel, oversea people tends to be more ready to allow you take picture of them or even with you! At least that is my experience. Maybe they see us as tourist?

Hi, as you know, I am a novice in photography but should have enough 'human' skill.

What you don't like, don't do it on others is very basic. If they feel good and like being photographed, no problem even if you don't ask. Otherwise, use a long lens safer.

When you travel, oversea people tends to be more ready to allow you take picture of them or even with you! At least that is my experience. Maybe they see us as tourist?

I'm noob too.. hehe. But i actually don't mind people shooting me on the streets, unless I'm like digging nose or scratching backside, which won't happen. hahaha

Actually if you are caught shooting at them, i guess people might me more receptive if you:
1. Smile
2. Tell them that you are a photographer and the photo won't be used for commercial purposes without their prior approval.
3. Give them a namecard (if you have one) and tell them you will send them a edited copy (remember to get email)
3. And if all else fail, delete the photo and show them.. hahaha

So far so good for me. *Crosses fingers*

I follow the "never make eye contact before or after the shot" rule.

On a side note, you might want to use a small camera with a small prime lens to be more discreet.

I just did some candids two days ago using a Panasonic GF3 m4/3 and an Olympus 45mm lens (90mm equivalent). Had a very good experience. The camera is small and very quiet, and the focal length allowed me to snap the pictures from quite far. 99% of the time the people I snapped didn't even know I took their picture. Those that did.. well, I just pretended nothing happened and walked away, then continued snapping other people.

If some day I do get stopped and the person is nice, I'll smile and delete the picture.

Last edited:
I do a lot of "in your face" shot Must Use The Umbrella | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Personally I think that streets photograph gets a more dynamic effect if you are shooting up close. The moment you feel that people is not happy after you have taken the shot, avoid eye contact and walk away. Most of the time people are fine.

I do a lot of "in your face" shot Must Use The Umbrella | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Personally I think that streets photograph gets a more dynamic effect if you are shooting up close. The moment you feel that people is not happy after you have taken the shot, avoid eye contact and walk away. Most of the time people are fine.

Haha.. I need to grow the balls to do that more. :) While on this topic: be careful when you're street-shooting in other countries where the laws are different. In the Arab Gulf you can be arrested and jailed for taking a picture of a woman without her consent.