Street photography - mind or don't mind

Mind or don't mind (please read post first)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a suggestion that might work.....so far, it seems to work.

I did have people coming up telling me off when I took street shots in wet markets and streets (of course, they're nice people around that actually waved and posed). Anyway, those wet blankets are usually the stall owners (if I stayed there long enough) and shoppers (I still remember I was shooting the ceiling of the market towards the direction of an middle-aged HK couple and the guy ran over and said,"U can't take pics here!" He ran off promptly after that before I could register anything. Weird.) Back to the suggestion....When I got back to my bodybuilding regime, and I now look intimidating again... People generally just leave me or probably just stares. So i guess...looking like a bad arse might actually stop all these unpleasant encounters..

...Because the line of your posting could very easily lead to conclusions about people with cameras taking pictures of kids. And one day it is you taking a picture of a child and somebody raises the finger ... From single incidents to general suspicion .. sometimes it's a very short step in this world. Let's be alert but never paranoid.

I thought all of us here are people with cameras, with the risk of being on the receiving end of said accusatory finger? ok, maybe not the bird and butterfly snappers, and not the archi or nature guys... hmm, i guess i'm not paranoid, i mean, alert enough.. :D

for the record, anyone who is reading this, THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN TELL if someone is a pervert/pedophile or not just by looking at their face!

*gets off soapbox*

That's nothing I would call 'journalism' but rather 'satisfying some urge for entertainment'. A journalist at least shows the context of events and asks a few questions. Nothing that I can see in STOMP and however they are called. But .. that's OT now.

agree with your definition, but even for legitimate journalists who ask questions misrepresentation is still too easily achieved, i'm afraid. but i guess people who take pics and post them in blogs with write-ups qualify as citizen journalists. oops, yes, that's OT (!)

...When I got back to my bodybuilding regime, and I now look intimidating again... So i guess...looking like a bad arse might actually stop all these unpleasant encounters..

yeah, i recall seeing something along this line in one of the posts on ITphobia's thread. looking like a big bad guy may stop people from confronting you. but doesn't stop them from being suspicious, or even more so. now being a lady, on the other hand. i have to admit the girls got a certain advantage there. unless they dress like or are called Cruella DeVil! :eek:

Errm... they look like Michael Jackson.....people who are both black and white?? :bsmilie:

you might be on to something with the black and white appearance... :sweatsm:

a quick look on the poll results so far: looks like the golden rule, well, RULES!!

there are almost 4x people who say they will take pictures on the streets and also don't mind if people take pics of them, compared to those who will take but won't give... my faith in the human race is restored! :lovegrin:

correction:

it should be option #2 and #3 if one talks about the golden rule, like the do unto others etc. so it is 35 + 6 = 41, vs 9 of option #1.

people who choose option #4 just baffle me... (i mean, in a good way, no offence guys!)

Last edited:
I thought all of us here are people with cameras, with the risk of being on the receiving end of said accusatory finger? ok, maybe not the bird and butterfly snappers, and not the archi or nature guys... hmm, i guess i'm not paranoid, i mean, alert enough.. :D

for the record, anyone who is reading this, THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN TELL if someone is a pervert/pedophile or not just by looking at their face!

*gets off soapbox*

agree with your definition, but even for legitimate journalists who ask questions misrepresentation is still too easily achieved, i'm afraid. but i guess people who take pics and post them in blogs with write-ups qualify as citizen journalists. oops, yes, that's OT (!)

yeah, i recall seeing something along this line in one of the posts on ITphobia's thread. looking like a big bad guy may stop people from confronting you. but doesn't stop them from being suspicious, or even more so. now being a lady, on the other hand. i have to admit the girls got a certain advantage there. unless they dress like or are called Cruella DeVil! :eek:

you might be on to something with the black and white appearance... :sweatsm:

well...at least u don't get confronted.... maybe i should start shooting with just wearing G-string...wahahhaahahaa.....they definitely will not approach me...PLUS, i can shoot the shock and disgust in their face...wahahahaa...anyone wanna join in?

well...at least u don't get confronted.... maybe i should start shooting with just wearing G-string...wahahhaahahaa.....they definitely will not approach me...PLUS, i can shoot the shock and disgust in their face...wahahahaa...anyone wanna join in?

I wouldn't mind joining ... the part of taking the pictures :) I generously leave the G-string part to you :bsmilie: street artists in Berlin or other cities are more daring, but a G-string will do for a start here.

the g-string street photography project might work very well to incite passers-by to show their most interesting expressions... until some concerned member of the public call the police, that is :p i'll volunteer to be there to do my bit for citizen journalism...

I don't mind having my pic taken... as long as they take my photogenic side :bsmilie:

I wouldn't mind joining ... the part of taking the pictures :) I generously leave the G-string part to you :bsmilie: street artists in Berlin or other cities are more daring, but a G-string will do for a start here.

the g-string street photography project might work very well to incite passers-by to show their most interesting expressions... until some concerned member of the public call the police, that is :p i'll volunteer to be there to do my bit for citizen journalism...

How can u guys ve all the fun shooting....and i'm just parading around with the uncomfortable G-string? £$%^%$&$*&%£%^&*£......we can take turns, u know? wahahaha

Last edited:
the poll seems to have degenerated into fallenphoenix's exotic underwear parade... :nono:

How can u guys ve all the fun shooting....and i'm just parading around with the uncomfortable G-string? £$%^%$&$*&%£%^&*£......we can take turns, u know? wahahaha

but who says you can't bring your tools, i mean, your camera as well? :faint:

keep 'em comments rolling! less than one week to closing time...

oh, btw, is there a law in singapore which says that taking a photo of someone without his/her consent is not allowed?
i got that once from a busker whom i tried to shoot in an underpass. showed me the finger and kept "quoting" that particular law to me.
wished i had shot him. with a gun. haha.

oh, btw, is there a law in singapore which says that taking a photo of someone without his/her consent is not allowed?
i got that once from a busker whom i tried to shoot in an underpass. showed me the finger and kept "quoting" that particular law to me.

As long u are in a public place and ur not using the image for editorial/commercial use, there is no law, as far as I know, which is against it.

Usually, if I do that I would donate some money to him as a sign of goodwill that I'm photographing his performance. It's not alot but I guess he'll appreciate that gesture.
:)

Last edited:
Depends on where you are... you might just get beaten up if you take pics - not in Malaysia and Sg of course but heard of few cases in Australia/NZ 8|

Depends on where you are... you might just get beaten up if you take pics - not in Malaysia and Sg of course but heard of few cases in Australia/NZ 8|

that's why u need to beef up to look bad arse enough to make them think twice before beating u.....
I'm currently in Melb...I've encountered more resentments over here than back in Sg....but nothing like the physical threats that u stated...just verbal warning

for performance artists may be better to ask for their permission first, especially if taking more than a snapshot. sometimes something as simple as a gesture and a thumbs up may suffice. i was taking a lot of pics of some a busker and a street painter in Malaka and they seem to be alright with it, maybe used to the tourists around...

about the law thing, i agree with what skazwan says. seems to recall asking some lawyer friend and got the same answer. also, apparently even if the guy is in his own house/flat but visible from outside, you can still take his picture... this is iirc, though, so is there any lawyer/law enforcement people here who can clarify?

for performance artists may be better to ask for their permission first, especially if taking more than a snapshot. sometimes something as simple as a gesture and a thumbs up may suffice. i was taking a lot of pics of some a busker and a street painter in Malaka and they seem to be alright with it, maybe used to the tourists around...

about the law thing, i agree with what skazwan says. seems to recall asking some lawyer friend and got the same answer. also, apparently even if the guy is in his own house/flat but visible from outside, you can still take his picture... this is iirc, though, so is there any lawyer/law enforcement people here who can clarify?

wah, serious ar? then all peeping toms can shout HALLELUJAH now. hahahaha! :bsmilie: idk, i just kind of thought that he overreacted in this scenario, yeah granted that some people really don't like to have their pictures taken. but in my opinion, he should really change that mindset of his since he's busking in the clarke quay area. imagine tourists getting the finger from him. wow. haha!

about the same, before or after owning SLR...

one more day before poll closed, lelong, lelong!! ;p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.