Stabiliser or no Stabiliser?

sin77 said:
Do u all place your eye to the rubber of the ovf? Those who wear specs can't achieve 1/10 right?

Can.. I wear specs n sometimes able to do even 1/8 on lighter lenses.

Do u all place your eye to the rubber of the ovf? Those who wear specs can't achieve 1/10 right?

I am very shortsighted and wear specs all the time... without my spec, I am as good as blind, but I don't find it a problem looking through the OVF (my 7D) and EVF (my OMD) and still shoot at 1/10.

Btw a bit OT but for those who wear specs;

Do you stick (as in literally) your specs to the viewfinder rubber? (For cams with viewfinder)

Because my specs get dirty easily after some shots.. :cry:

Do you stick (as in literally) your specs to the viewfinder rubber? (For cams with viewfinder)

Bring a cleaning cloth.

Yes.

Don't know how else to do it otherwise :)

I don't care if my specs get dirty or not, just care that I get the shot or not... anyway, for myself, my spec don't get soooo dirty that I cannot see through them and so it is okay.

I am using Nikon DX body and looking to buy a fast zoom lens, comparing between Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS. Price difference around $400.

So my question is:
If I often shoot at 1/40, do i need stabiliser?
At 50mm, what is the recommended shutter speed for handheld shot without stabiliser?
in what kind of situation you need to shoot at 1/40s and lower?
during a event? or for own leisure?

and how often will that be?

rhino123 said:
I had a cheap imitation once, for my 40D... hated it soooo much that I rip off the damned eyecup and toss it into the rubbish bin, freaking waste of my S$10.

What was wrong with it? QC? Rubber material not flexible or soft enough? Not a good fit?

What was wrong with it? QC? Rubber material not flexible or soft enough? Not a good fit?

Note that it is a cheap imitation though so not sure if you use a good one. Anyway, mine don't works well with my eye (+ spec), it is not comfortable placing my eye over the hood and trying to look through it. I find my original eye piece good enough, although at times I wish that it was a bit further from my LCD.

No the Hoodman eye piece is on good if you remove your spec. The curve makes it very difficult to use.

Depending on what camera and model, I personally feel a round eye piece is better. I have mine modified.

Thanks for the feedback. I won't bother then as it defeats the purpose if I have to remove my glasses to use it properly.

Quite surprised many of u can shoot beyond the recommended speed without stabiliser. Really admire
Another way is to put camera into continue shutter. If your first shot is blur due to hand movement in pressing the shutter, then the 2nd shot will be better as your finger already pressing at shutter.

Dont give up bro. I have been looking around for a while and everybody tells me cannot. I finally spoke to the technician in Nikon service centre and he knows what I am talking and recommend me this. However, I lost it during my recent holiday but instead of buying the same parts again, I modified it. This time, it will stay unless I tear it off! haha You may find a better method.

eyecup - Page 2

Dont give up bro. I have been looking around for a while and everybody tells me cannot. I finally spoke to the technician in Nikon service centre and he knows what I am talking and recommend me this. However, I lost it during my recent holiday but instead of buying the same parts again, I modified it. This time, it will stay unless I tear it off! haha You may find a better method.

eyecup - Page 2

I had the same setup for a while, and my DK-22 became lose.. and one day while shooting street, it completely came off without my knowing and I did not replace it at all after that.

Bought tamron 17-50. Then a bit regret not getting sigma with OS. But, that would mean $400 more to pay.

sin77 said:
Bought tamron 17-50. Then a bit regret not getting sigma with OS. But, that would mean $400 more to pay.

$400 is a lot of saving for such lens. I personally feel under 50 mm no need for VR. Of course got $, get the best and decide if you want to use them.

Tamron 17-50 is a gd piece of lens to me. OS or not doesn't matter for this range of length. Imagine if you can't handle it, then you can forget on the 24-70/2.8 w/o IS/VR/OS :p

I used to use the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 without VC. Works very well.

Of course, i can probably achieve shutter speeds of 1/10s with VC, but sticking to 1/20s is fine.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I am very sad that I am very reliant on VR.
Without it, I have to shoot at 1/60 for 50mm in order to guarantee a shake-free photo.

One of the problem i self-realise is the placement of my noise (which is a bit sharp).
Wondering how i can overcome.