Spot Metering on Nikon D90

Hi Daredevil 123,

You mentioned that Nikon spot metering follows the AF point selected. Does it mean that whichever AF point autofocuses (signified by points that light up orange in colour when the shutter release is partially depressed) is where spot metering occurs when the latter metering option is selected? Therefore, for Nikon, there is no 'circle' that lights up to show spot metering?

Thank you.

Hi Daredevil 123,

You mentioned that Nikon spot metering follows the AF point selected. Does it mean that whichever AF point autofocuses (signified by points that light up orange in colour when the shutter release is partially depressed) is where spot metering occurs when the latter metering option is selected? Therefore, for Nikon, there is no 'circle' that lights up to show spot metering?

Thank you.

No circle shows up in Nikon viewfinder, at least not in the Nikon cameras I have used so far.

And yes, spot metering follows the af point selected. This is true for even the lowest entry level cams like D40x which I used.

And for center weighted, we can choose the size of the center area to meter (in custom menu). Not sure this is available in lower entry-level models, but confirmed available in D90 and above.

Last edited:
3506731491_5b3eda85e0.jpg

3509774007_d3cc5d78e5.jpg

Pictures credit to dannysantos

Hi , I would like to ask about spot metering, since Im going for a outdoor shoot tomorrow.
I've been testing it around my house this few days but this is what i get.
4844123816_96502de9d0_b.jpg

How do i get the spot im focusing to get more lights while the rest of the surrounding is dark?

Mind correcting me?
Thanks.

mind if i ask,

how is it possible to take pictures like this?i.e with the "lights" focused on the subject whereas the surrounding is darker??

pls enlighten me

using 1000D

mind if i ask,

how is it possible to take pictures like this?i.e with the "lights" focused on the subject whereas the surrounding is darker??

pls enlighten me

using 1000D

It is not about the camera nor is it settings.

It is actually looking for places like these at the right timing, where the sun shine through in between buildings.

mind if i ask,
pls enlighten me
using 1000D
Please read again the entire thread. It's explained many times that there are multiple factors contributing. What exactly is unclear to you?
And: it doesn't matter whether you use 1000D or 1D.