spot metering = impt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all replies and advices given!

This method i think i saw it somewhere in this forum too! Maybe u are the same person posting. So this is a"manual" way of getting the exposure of an area i want, lock the exposure, then zoom out and start shooting the way i want. Meaning although its alittle time consuming, not as pin point to a spot but it works almost like spot metering?

Although this is my first DSLR, i am intending to use it for quite some time.. so i dun wanna miss out anything n regret making decisions on getting a camera without spot metering- something which is proclaimed to be very useful and helps exposure in bad or strong lightings.

i think more importantly, u must understand how and when and where to do spot metering.

Thanks for all replies and advices given!

This method i think i saw it somewhere in this forum too! Maybe u are the same person posting. So this is a"manual" way of getting the exposure of an area i want, lock the exposure, then zoom out and start shooting the way i want. Meaning although its alittle time consuming, not as pin point to a spot but it works almost like spot metering?

Although this is my first DSLR, i am intending to use it for quite some time.. so i dun wanna miss out anything n regret making decisions on getting a camera without spot metering- something which is proclaimed to be very useful and helps exposure in bad or strong lightings.

I think eventually you will get to use spot metering. I use spot metering to check the highlights and shadow to make sure I don't overexpose or underexpose and lost the details when I shoot in Manual mode.

My first and only DSLR is a Nikon D40, it came with spot metering and the spot metering follow the AF point. I find it very useful and thought they are standard feature of a DSLR, entry level or pro. It was a surprise when I read that not all DSLRs have these features.

I think eventually you will get to use spot metering. I use spot metering to check the highlights and shadow to make sure I don't overexpose or underexpose and lost the details when I shoot in Manual mode.

My first and only DSLR is a Nikon D40, it came with spot metering and the spot metering follow the AF point. I find it very useful and thought they are standard feature of a DSLR, entry level or pro. It was a surprise when I read that not all DSLRs have these features.

ya.. if only all dslr has spot metering, then i wont e so vexed over it. :bsmilie:

hi all.

i am going to get myself a camera tmr. initially i decided for myself 1000d. but more n more ppl emphasize the imptance of spot metering.

is it very necessary for u guy to take gd photos? or at least it can create special lighting effects like dannysantos' work?

argh. so confused whether to get 450d anot. have to squeeze extra 200 bucks for spot and 9 af point.

er, if you understand your camera's matrix or centre-weighted (more predictable) metering system, you can probably skip spot a lot.

i have never used spot ever. i don't really have problem with exposure. if it looks tricky i just switch to centre weighted.

it is not necessary, but it is more "precise" and "accurate".

dannysantos' photos, can also be achieved with centre weighted + underexpose 1-2 stops.

I took my wedding photos in taipei northcoast, i checked the exif data of my pics and all are taken with spot metering

Status
Not open for further replies.