Spitting Cobra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
plastic said:
Sulphur does not really do anything to snakes. Your maid was daring, and brave. She must love your family.

As mentioned, making sounds will usually drive them away... unless your intention is to kill it.

i was worried abt her safety too...Thanks GOD. Had she not killed the snake, it cld have hid somewhere and still be lingering ard the area..

plastic said:
Sulphur does not really do anything to snakes. Your maid was daring, and brave. She must love your family.

As mentioned, making sounds will usually drive them away... unless your intention is to kill it.
Snakes do not have a middle ear and are unable to hear airborne sounds. The common belief that you can shout a snake away is unfounded! It's more like a case of "make as much noise as you want, so that others can come to your rescue" :eek: . Their tongues and pit sensors may be able to sense vibrations and locate heat sources though, either that or they sense vibrations through the ground. Snakes are usually inoffensive and very shy, until provoked or cornered. Normally the wisest thing to do is to leave it alone, but I guess in this case confronting it was the only option...

Some individual snakes and certain species are more sensitive to sulphur, and although there have been some cases of snakes avoiding the 'smell' of sulphur, no tests in the field nor in the lab have managed to prove that this works. Other repellants thought to work but are not proven are moth balls, ammonia, lime, and insecticides.

husky said:
Snakes do not have a middle ear and are unable to hear airborne sounds. The common belief that you can shout a snake away is unfounded! It's more like a case of "make as much noise as you want, so that others can come to your rescue" :eek: . Their tongues and pit sensors may be able to sense vibrations and locate heat sources though, either that or they sense vibrations through the ground. Snakes are usually inoffensive and very shy, until provoked or cornered. Normally the wisest thing to do is to leave it alone, but I guess in this case confronting it was the only option...

I once had a researcher in Africa tell me that if a specific sound of anger was
recorded of an African Cobra and it is played back to the cobra, the cobra
struck at the speaker.

Allan

IIRC, the King Cobra is e only snake that can actually make a low growling sound... Saw it once on a documentary..

Anyway, the black spitter is actually very common, saw a few cobras back in my army days at Old Lim Chu Kang road, that area got quite a number of cobras... :D

Curare said:
Saw this cobra snake, I thinking the spitting sp. out for a walk in the Kent Ridge park. According to a regularly park goer there, it seems that some of these snakes do come out of the undergrowth for a glimse of the sunshine and hunt for its food eg toads. So do open your eyes on where you set your foot; do look down and not straight or up most of the time:) I kept my distance of about 20m from this bugger to take these 2 shots.
spitting-cobra.jpg

spitting-cobra-2.jpg

Cheers

where d pics? i can id for u.

:dunno: The piz couldn't be displayed now could 've sthg to do with the problem at gallery@clubsnap?
rgds

Relink the fotos...
spitting-cobra.jpg

spitting-cobra-2.jpg

cheers

If the cobra stands up, better turn ard and run liao...:bsmilie:

Hope it was shot at 800mm and not with your baby lens ! ;)

yes, its a a black spitter, Naja sumatrana ,pest control charge $150? i will catch for free.:)

Paul_Yeo said:
if the cobra stand up , then photo will be very nice :cool:

if the cobra do hood up(close range) , chances are it might spit at your lens, as spitters spit their venom at eye level (natural predator), generally snakes wont bite unless provoked,they are more scared of us as humans are the top of the food chain.:)

Sulphur has been said to deter snakes... but it also attracts scorpions. Haha! Scorpions are impervious to insecticides... power creatures they are... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.