Sony DSC-H1 or Canon S2 IS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sony DSC-H1 does not have a tilt & swivel LCD screen. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, I made my purchasing decision without taking that into account. I bought a Canon S2 IS and unexpectedly, I found that I loved having the tilt & swivel LCD screen. I can take pictures from the ground, from a tight space, above my head, outside the window at 90 degrees... many boliao possibilities :D . For the more conventional angles, I need to contort my body less also.

This will be the main reason I will think twice about going to a (D)SLR. Ya, I know the lao jiaos will think I'm nuts. If there were a new product paradigm for photography that incorporates the lens paradigm that is present in SLRs, but where preview is done with a tilt & swivel screen, that would be my preference. That's what I think now, anyway.

yes u're right.. H1 doesnt have a tilt & swivel LCD screen. i understand the many many possibilities of different angles tt u can snap ur shots with tat. haiz...

sORe-EyEz said:
take ur time lah, sell 2nd hand & loose $$ along d way? den mite as well buy blindly. dun need 2 post 4 advise...:confused:

thumbs up for a discerning buyer!:thumbsup:

thanks for tat, but im so indecisive! :sweat:

JuzJaz said:

After all the research you have done, there is one thing left to do - go down to a reliable shop and hold the cam yourself!! Either one will work well for you. Select the one that you feel right in your palm and like the way it operates.

Well, given the brand new S2 IS is about the same as a pre-owned 300D kit lens. Why do you give it a thought ?

The only peeve that the 300D does not have, the Image stablizer, which is found in the more expense Canon lenses..

cheersjy said:
After all the research you have done, there is one thing left to do - go down to a reliable shop and hold the cam yourself!! Either one will work well for you. Select the one that you feel right in your palm and like the way it operates.

yup i did...canon feels good on the grip..as for sony, 'seem' to feel good - cuz the shop has the electronic wires attached to it at the right side..can't really FEEL the grip. :bsmilie:

but for now, i seem to side H1 more...there's juz too little H1 users here to talk abt their experience..dpreview has more.:p

JuzJaz said:

wait til yr end mayb Nov got another IT Fair?:dunno:

hmmm, Christmas coming soon?! drop hints on ur parents say "wah, tis cam look so gd & can enable newbie 2 take many gd shots w/ little practice!". hahaa...:bsmilie:

JuzJaz said:
yup i did...canon feels good on the grip..as for sony, 'seem' to feel good - cuz the shop has the electronic wires attached to it at the right side..can't really FEEL the grip. :bsmilie:

but for now, i seem to side H1 more...there's juz too little H1 users here to talk abt their experience..dpreview has more.:p

go 2 other shop 2 try out? some stores put d cams under glass display so dun hav wire.

IMO, if u think H1 is ur prefered cam jus go 4 it. u must hav read up alot on cams from ur pre-selection list 2 accurate guage if its d cam 4 u l rite?:think:

if still uncertain, sourse info from web & mags. Kino, Borders, Times, etc (did i miss out any?:dunno: ) hav a wide selection of mags tt constantly review & rate cams!!:vhappy:

Thanks a lot Sore-eyez. Yea, i did read quite a lot online lah. but i can't wait till year end :nono: cuz im going Taiwan early november!!! how can miss out bringing good camera!!! :bsmilie: guess i'll go get my camera next 2 weeks. :lovegrin:

now..research for good deals! :blah:

fatjp said:
Have you consider the price of memory stick ?
Original are expensive.....

I am a Sony cam user and am not too bothered by the price of memory stick. If one doesn't shoot a lot, 512MB or 1G is good enough. If shooting a lot then getting an image tank like X-drive or Compact Drive PD7x is a more practical solution. East Gear is selling 1G memory stick at $169, not that bad...

fatjp said:

yes i did. but im juz fine with a 512mb. most prob be using it till it gets spoil. :bsmilie: i dun need to take huge resolution photos..so it's okay not to have many memory storage for me. though its most useful during travels. :rolleyes:

it's even more costly if i get S2, cuz S2 is more ex, plus addition memory, cost is still more than the cost of a H1 + additional memory stick. ;p

ah bo u do the calculation for me?:dunno:

fatjp said:

& one more thing, wat do u mean original are expensive?? u mean got non-original??? :bigeyes: :p

JuzJaz said:
Thanks a lot Sore-eyez. Yea, i did read quite a lot online lah. but i can't wait till year end :nono: cuz im going Taiwan early november!!! how can miss out bringing good camera!!! :bsmilie: guess i'll go get my camera next 2 weeks. :lovegrin:

now..research for good deals! :blah:

wah kaoz, u so show-off!! but dun stick ur EyEz on d menus 4 too looonng har, wait pick-pocketz lock their EviL-EyEz on u!!:bsmilie:

sORe-EyEz said:
wah kaoz, u so show-off!! but dun stick ur EyEz on d menus 4 too looonng har, wait pick-pocketz lock their EviL-EyEz on u!!:bsmilie:

where got show-off?? :sticktong btw, such a huge thing, so easily pick-pocketed?? cant even fit into my pocket sia :p but well, u point out a good fact, using a very expensive camera oso gotta be extra careful...cuz u're easily targeted :dunno: but it's ok. im not holding DSLR. u know..those thousands of dollars lens ;p

I own a sony DSC P10, canon A70 and Olympus C7070WZ, but have never lay my hands on Sony H1 or Canon S2 IS.

Base on my limited experience on Sony, there are several issues that irritates me
1) Expensive storage media ie MS
2) Exclusive accessories ie only fits sony and its certain models
3) Expensive accessories (includes batteries)...juz walk into a sony show room u'll know
4) Limited battery endurance ...the max i can squeeze out is abt 90 shots only

Only had my hands on Canon A70, have seen good pics by A70...but definitely not mine. The build is plasticky but the performance is better than my sony.

For fanciful features i'll choose sony, for quality of pics i'll take canon and oly anytime (btw i've not tried nikon, KM , lumix etc...so i can't compare...dun flame me ok ;) )

However I've read good reviews on S2 IS, and i'm more inclined towards this choice

JuzJaz said:
OOoooooh...okok. wow..that's another knowledge liao. :think: shld get original or other brand memory stick leh...?pro & non pro stick..apart from price difference, wat separates them? speed difference?:think:

MS or MS pro, difference is in the speed and capacity.

Normal MS, is only able to take up to 128Mb. However there is a 256Mb MS that consist of 2 x 128Mb....that means after 128mb u have to take out the MS and toggle a switch to use the other 128mb

MS pro is 256 mb and up. In 2003 dec , i bought my 256Mb MS pro for abt 200, now 1Gb only 169...but it's still ex compared to CF.

Btw which other cameras use MS except sony?

JuzJaz said:

Go to other shops in the heartlands like MS Color in Ang Mo Kio Central Blk 711 or in town in Peninsula go to Cathay Photo or Alan Photo in Funan. Get a feel of the cams and the prices are not RRP, but at a discounted rate of 10 to 15%.

Cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.