Sony a55 vs Pentax k30

head down to the shop, take up the cameras and test, see which one you feels better, then get that one. Who knows, you might even go for Panasonic, Olympus or Samsung....

Photography is a very personal thing, it is not just what features a camera had...

If you realize, that's the main message of the "What DSLR to get?" FAQ sticky. Of course, nobody reads stickies... :p

Haiz... don't know why... every time someone asked about which camera should he/she get... the thread always ended in brand war... :dunno:

because SNSD (or whatever the heck their band name is spelled) starting singing "Bring the FANBOYs out"

:bsmilie:

Haha I understand where you guys are coming from. As an inexperienced DSLR user, I do not really know what user-friendly features to look out for in the camera. Have tried the a57 at sony style. Ergonomically, it feels just fine!

Can't test out the k30 yet though, it's only available on the pentaxwebstore. Irritating.

leroyishere said:
Haha I understand where you guys are coming from. As an inexperienced DSLR user, I do not really know what user-friendly features to look out for in the camera. Have tried the a57 at sony style. Ergonomically, it feels just fine!

Can't test out the k30 yet though, it's only available on the pentaxwebstore. Irritating.

Just another point to take note. Everyone can tell you that a camera is fantastic specs-wise, but it's up to you to control the camera to get a fantastic shot. So don't let the fan boys get to you. All they're doing is regurgitating the specs from websites to you ;)

Snapsort is a joke. The A57 uses an EVF, which means it's "what you see is what you get". So if you adjust exposure, or make is black and white, etc etc, you will see it in the viewfinder. Also, the A57 gives you full-speed PDAF in live view, you can record video using the viewfinder, and the EVF looks huge compared to the small OVF on the K30. You also get horizon indicator, etc etc etc. Also, autofocus Carl Zeiss lenses.

Yes, but EVF (no matter how good) is going to be slightly laggy compared to OVF. It depends on the individiaul whether they can accept this slight delay (though I admit the difference has narrowed through the years).

Something to take note is that Pentax has a great variety of pancake lenses... Which is why a lot of people buy into Pentax. ;)

2 examples below

Two-new-Pentax-pancakes-to-the-test-SMC-DA-21mm-and-SMC-DA-70mm.jpg

Last edited:
This I actually disagree on - With an OVF, you see what the lens sees, which is not necessarily what the sensor will see. With an EVF, you see what the sensor sees, so it's a lot more "WYSIWYG". Plus, it's nice being able to review pictures using the viewfinder. Very very handy when you don't want to move but still want to review photos (like when you're birding).

nothing wrong with seeing what the lens sees. it's definitely better for macro, where you can keep your ISO as low as possible and still able to focus manually before the flash is triggered. with EVF, what you see is total darkness, can't even focus, unless you use LED light.

So it depends what the shooter's style of shooting... choose your equipments wisely or adjust your style of shooting accordingly...

Anyway both systems are good, and both fanboys are friendly and resourceful. You can join fengwei (pentax) or rashkae (sony) for some fun outings :)

nothing wrong with seeing what the lens sees. it's definitely better for macro, where you can keep your ISO as low as possible and still able to focus manually before the flash is triggered. with EVF, what you see is total darkness, can't even focus, unless you use LED light.

What EVF have you been using? On the new Sonys, you can disable the settings preview - so you always can see through the EVF. Also, for macro, focus peaking and 100% zoom in the EVF is great.

What EVF have you been using? On the new Sonys, you can disable the settings preview - so you always can see through the EVF. Also, for macro, focus peaking and 100% zoom in the EVF is great.

Does that mean if I choose M mode and set the exposure underexpose purposely, the EVF still shows you bright image?

Easy... user friendly features on a camera are functions and features that you want (such as dedicated ISO control, White balance control button, quick change in aperture and shutter speed without needing to go through the entire menu, easy switch from still to movie mode, and the list go on and on depending on what you expect and what you like to shoot). So if you have already tested out the A57 and found that it is okay with you... then go on and get that camera.

Btw... I believe Pentax is having a sale right now, and when it had a sale, there is bound to have some sets available for you to molest, not sure about that though. Or you can visit the Pentax sub-forum and join some of the outing those guys had there, there might have a couple of people who had the K-30 already and try to get your hand on one and play play abit (I think the guys/gals are willing to let you have some hands on if you are careful).

Yes, but EVF (no matter how good) is going to be slightly laggy compared to OVF. It depends on the individiaul whether they can accept this slight delay (though I admit the difference has narrowed through the years).

Something to take note is that Pentax has a great variety of pancake lenses... Which is why a lot of people buy into Pentax. ;)

2 examples below

That is true. Even with my new OM-D and a Class 10 Sandisk card (45mb/s) I am experiencing a slight lag in between shots. This can be sometime very very frustrating. Also it take some time for the camera to wake up after it had gone into sleep mode (for the Oly, not sure about Sony NEX and SLT cameras)... for my 7D, the response seemed almost instantaneous when it went to sleep and I wanted it to wake up.

All this small little detail can really put some one off... but others might not feel the frustration... so again, it is up to TS's treshold...

Oh... and not to forget the Sony SLT technology had an inherited limitation... light lost... not a great deal of it though, but for some photographers it is a deal breaker... For traditional DSLR such as the Pentax K-30 and mirrorless interchangeable lens system such as Sony's NEX, there will not have this problem... so again it is up to TS to see if he/she could live with this limitation.

This I actually disagree on - With an OVF, you see what the lens sees, which is not necessarily what the sensor will see. With an EVF, you see what the sensor sees, so it's a lot more "WYSIWYG". Plus, it's nice being able to review pictures using the viewfinder. Very very handy when you don't want to move but still want to review photos (like when you're birding).

Hmm... I think you misread.
I wrote :
"The main advantage of an OVF is '0' lag between actual scene and viewfinder; dynamic range (ie brightness levels) (since its your own eye);
Basically WYSIWYG through the viewfinder. "

EVF clipped highlights, color reproduction difference between EVF and sensor o/p, lag time between EVF and real world are still there and nowhere near WYSIWYG between sensor and EVF.

EVF clipped highlights, color reproduction difference between EVF and sensor o/p, lag time between EVF and real world are still there and nowhere near WYSIWYG between sensor and EVF.

Still a lot more accurate than an OVF. At least you get a more accurate representation of whitebalance, dynamic range, etc.

i really have no idea what to say. the Pentax fanboys really nailed this one :bsmilie:

but:

So do the Sony Alpha Cameras

not true. you won't see exactly how the image will turn out unlike using an EVF.

*Sigh~~*

If you have a case to present, present it.
Don't need to resort to name calling.

Strength of Pentax system :
1. Very well featured, good handling, good performance camera body for the price. So is Sony Alpha
>> The proof is in the pudding as presented on post#4
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/1123432-sony-a55-vs-pentax-k30.html#post8014009

3. Lenses that are typically designed to be smaller (and many small prime lens offerings that no other DSLR make has) Then i might as well buy a 4/3 or Micro 4/3 camera because the lens are smaller. Pentax Q even
>> Pulling from various systems to form this argument is odd..
I think you missed the points in bold and underline.

4. Legacy support for its lenses. (even a cheap and good manual K-mount lens from 20-30yrs back will work on a Pentax DSLR). you can also use Minolta lenses on the Sony Alpha. heck, with the Sony NEX system you can even use Pentax lenses on an NEX, just with an adaptor
>> So perhaps you can list as as a Sony pro too.
Again pulling in another system to the argument is odd...

5. Pentax FA and DA Limited series of lenses so other brands have no limited lenses that are splendid as well?

>> For the FL, build, size, optical quality ..you can try to list some that exactly matches the criteria (with AF)

6. Typically DSLR bodies that are designed smaller in size So is Sony Alpha
>>
Compare camera dimensions side by side
You can go play with other options too if you like.

Anyway, I don't know what got under your skin or if you had a bad day or what to start calling ppl names and sighing an all that.
Thats all I have to say and all that I want to spend time on.
Gd luck

If you have a case to present, present it.
Don't need to resort to name calling.

Strength of Pentax system :
1. Very well featured, good handling, good performance camera body for the price. So is Sony Alpha
>> The proof is in the pudding as presented on post#4
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/1123432-sony-a55-vs-pentax-k30.html#post8014009

3. Lenses that are typically designed to be smaller (and many small prime lens offerings that no other DSLR make has) Then i might as well buy a 4/3 or Micro 4/3 camera because the lens are smaller. Pentax Q even
>> Pulling from various systems to form this argument is odd..
I think you missed the points in bold and underline.

4. Legacy support for its lenses. (even a cheap and good manual K-mount lens from 20-30yrs back will work on a Pentax DSLR). you can also use Minolta lenses on the Sony Alpha. heck, with the Sony NEX system you can even use Pentax lenses on an NEX, just with an adaptor
>> So perhaps you can list as as a Sony pro too.
Again pulling in another system to the argument is odd...

5. Pentax FA and DA Limited series of lenses so other brands have no limited lenses that are splendid as well?

>> For the FL, build, size, optical quality ..you can try to list some that exactly matches the criteria (with AF)

6. Typically DSLR bodies that are designed smaller in size So is Sony Alpha
>>
You can go play with other options too if you like.

Anyway, I don't know what got under your skin or if you had a bad day or what to start calling ppl names and sighing an all that.
Thats all I have to say and all that I want to spend time on.
Gd luck

wow. i wasn't calling you the fanboy. apologies if you feel that way and your feelings got hurt :(

1) you're only basing it on ISO comparison

3) sorry, i thought Four Thirds cameras are also DSLRs to a certain degree Olympus E-420 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4) wow. i had no idea i couldn't use Minolta A-mount lenses on my Sony Alpha cameras.

5) typically you miss the point. your argument implies that no other brand has quality lenses.

6) and wow... the difference in size is so significant that i can feel my hands dancing in pleasure :bsmilie:

i could spend all days pointing out the flaws in your comparison. but i shan't. don't mislead people with your words

Okay sorry forgot to share my intended purpose for this camera. Basically gonna use the kit lens for general purpose shooting, then get a 50/1.8 for portraiture, and lastly something which stretches to 300mm for outdoor sports photography.

Looking at both of your points, it's really hard to make a decision. They both are very value for money cameras though, and it's such a close fight despite their different merits.

Well, I have absolute respect for Pentax, their compact lenses, their excellent optics.. and the Pentax K30 looks really cool, especially with the different colours. If you are going to shoot outdoor sports, the full-weather seal is going to be very useful.

However, I think there is one word consumers shd always keep in mind: Relevance, and in this case, Relevance of the features to your requirements. K30 is already one up, with the full-weather seal, A57 cannot beat that, you simply can't shoot with the A57 shelterless in a thunderstorm...

..if you are going to do that...

But since bro pinholecamera has listed the strengths of the K30, it is only fair we list out the strengths of the A57:

a) For general shooting, the A57's articulated LCD is going to be useful for those awkward angle shots, especially when you do those overhead shots (CNY lao yu sheng, concert with lots of people crowding around you, etc), or ahem... ground level shots... (eg. baby crawling on the ground, dogs running in the park, and other shots that will not get you into trouble with the law ;) ). With the K30, you just gonna be trying your luck in lots of your shots. Or be kneeling down or standing on a stool..

b) A57's 12 fps shooting vs K30's 6 fps shooting : If you are going to be doing outdoor sports photography, well, if you need to zua, you need to zua, cuz athletes/cars move really fast, so the A57 is going to offer you twice as many frames as the K30 to get your motion shots.. unless you are shooting old men playing chinese chess in the park. Anyway, jokes aside, you can check out bro Rashkae's F1 shots, not too bad huh..

c) More than 100 frames or 25%(compared to K30) more battery life - always helpful if you forgot to bring an extra battery, or shooting many frames in a sports event and running out of battery juice fast. Psychologically, you only need to tell yourself that you have to stop shooting later into the event.

Other nice to haves:

d) Video filming: Autofocus throughout filming, focus peaking feature if you using manual lens for videography (K30 automatically disables this during videography losing a key focus aid), microphone jacks as you have pointed out... (but if you don't do video, then this is irrelevant)

e) Lighter (but not 30g only lar, so irrelevant)

f) Price is more than $100 cheaper... but of course, irrelevant if you have $ :)

Ok, now to address K30's 'advantages':

a) Although the K30 is err.. 1mm shorter, 4mm narrower, and 9mm thinner.. not sure if that is going to make a big difference. What Kei is trying to say is, if you really mind the size, you should be going for mirrorless cams, not DSLRs. If you don't mind, then I really don't see the logic of being ngeow on 36mm[SUP]3[/SUP] of space, therefore... irrelevant...

b) OVF vs EVF - most non-Sony users here does not even seem to have used the A57's EVF before, some even acknowledging that EVF technology has narrowed the gap by a lot through the years. Is the A57's EVF lag that significant? nobody can prove anything, but from Rashkae's F1 pics above, I don't see what's so bad abt the EVF. And EVFs have certain advantages that OVF can never have, as mentioned already, like seeing actually what will be the end product on your photo, reviewing without taking eyes off the VF, etc. But well, it's still a personal thing, up to you to try and decide. If you decide that you are ok with both, then this advantage is .. irrelevant.

c) Smaller lens - see (a). If size is really an issue, then you shd not be comparing DSLRs, but looking at mirrorless models.

d) Image Quality - yep, pinholecamera's site is a pretty useful tool to compare, but I don't think the A57's image quality is trash. Go check it out and see if you can live with it. If it is that good already, I don't see how a few clearer pixels will make that much of a difference. But again, it is up to you whether this is important, or relevant to you.

e) Weather Sealing - Relevant if you need it, irrelevant if not. Good camera bag will help to protect your camera in bad weather, if you are not shooting w it.

f) legacy lens - already addressed by Kei. Sony have Minolta lens too, though I do admire the quality of the old Pentax lenses. And they have maintained the K-mount thru'out the years ! BUT again, is this important or relevant to your uses above?

oh well, the argument will go on and on... Pentax camera is certainly good stuff... but Sony is as good, if not better in certain aspects, and it is these aspects that you have to decide whether is relevant to you.

and yes, go try the camera. No amt of theory here beats the feeling of it in the hands, and testing it. Enjoy the shopping process !

Last edited:
Btw i'm not against Pentax or anything. FYI i started out in photography with a Pentax film camera a long time ago. So long i even forgot the model name :bsmilie:

No argument between the two. A57 has both strengths and weaknesses. Same thing with k-30 and Pentax. It's just matter how you could compensate with the weaknesses.

Been checking into jumping to Sony before going to Samsung. But to me (and me only) Sony lens prices as compared to Pentax is too much especially with CZ lenses.