something weird abt film - anyone has an explanation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
basically the film isn't grainy. from what he described to me it looks suspiciously like sharpening noise. I have never known grain on colour film to look like white dots.

Airport carry-on scanners are fine. I trust my slides/negs with them and so far nothing has happened to my film, exposed or not. Now the check-in luggage scanners destroy film completely. If you leave them in your check-in luggage, you can kiss your film goodbye.

I've used NPS before at the rated speed and like most print films, it performs fine. The difference when overexposed isn't really appreciable for me. Only BnW films seem to benefit greatly from overexposure to some degree, but that's just my personal opinion of course.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
haha i agree with littlewolf. maybe its just changed perceptions. but then again, as stoned explained to me, it cld be cos the shop (grace digital) used a lower grade scanner to scan in the negs, and then simon did a tad bit too much oversharpening which caused me to see some artifacts there.

and no, i did not overexpose by 1/2 or 1 stop. i shot as ISO160, just as the film is rated.

and my film DID GO THRU THE AIRPORT SCANNER. i asked the guy before i put it in..."is it film safe?" he said yes. and i beleived him did i go wrong there? :think:

sriram: i concluded that my film shots had lower res just by looking at it. its not as smooth as the digital prints. there was very fine visible "white powdery" grain. and somehow the pictures just didnt look as full as my 350D shots.

user111: i still love film. :D prob gonna just bring 5 rolls of NPH for my next holiday. i can leave my 350D at home. :bigeyes: :bsmilie: :think:

stoned: msn me when u see me online. ill send u some of my pics. mostly family shots tho. :p but i was quite amazed with my tamron 28-75. first time i used it extensively at f/2.8. sharp at 28mm, and sharp at 75mm...well..sharp enough for 4R prints at least.

I believe your negatives were underexposed. The appearance of "white powdery grain", like a fine haze of white dots, is a typical artifact that Frontier scans produce when scanning an underexposed neg. I see this on scans of NPS160, NPH400 and NPZ800 whenever there is just slight underexposure. Not many shoot NPS at rated speed. Most shoot it at 125 or 100.

The best way to print an underexposed colour neg is to do it optically on an enlarger. Scanners have a difficult time with underexposed negs.

Aren't film cans made of metal?

+evenstar said:
Stuff the film rolls into your pocket and walk thru the metal detector..

nope i didnt scan the film. ill get it done tho. prob thru 35mm or kex. but school's starting tomorrow and i wanna get my 1st week out of the way first. :)

What lab nowadays prints from an enlarger? there's a high possibility that it was scanned first and then printed from there.

yes it was scanned using the scanner at grace digital then printed directly from the scans.

show the pics here ?

i dunno man it's really a bit NPNT...

if you're going to look at the pics at 100% size full blown and all... if i'm not wrong you're definitely going to see more grain than digital... no matter what iso...

Status
Not open for further replies.