some upcoming ntu events to cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Dagger
1. Will we be running into the waters?
3.You stated $$$, are there alot of fees involved other the entrance fee?
5.Is cycling compulsory? Do you have the route and itenary?

1. we will be on land, don't worry. but note that we'll be on sand, so a cleaning kit for the camera is highly suggested. and since there is the "surf" component of the event, i think it would be useful to have a polarizer and a long lens (~150mm and above) to shoot with.
3. $$$ indicates the money you foresee yourself spending at sentosa itself, and of course, the entry! :D
5. cycling is optional - it's for convenient scooting around the beachfront for better places to shoot from - but beware - bikes easily topple when you cycle on sand!

Originally posted by Knighthunter

I am interested to do some coverage on the event above...need special passes or not? I'm using digicam......

Too bad I 'm interested in Surf and Sweat but can't make it at 23/02/03 at Sentosa......

not that i know of yet - my hall 10 friends have yet to have an answer for me. i'll post updates once i get my hands on any of them.

Originally posted by sehsuan
1. we will be on land, don't worry. but note that we'll be on sand, so a cleaning kit for the camera is highly suggested. and since there is the "surf" component of the event, i think it would be useful to have a polarizer and a long lens (~150mm and above) to shoot with.
3. $$$ indicates the money you foresee yourself spending at sentosa itself, and of course, the entry! :D
5. cycling is optional - it's for convenient scooting around the beachfront for better places to shoot from - but beware - bikes easily topple when you cycle on sand!
Thanks Sehsuan. You can take me as confirmed for 23.2.03 unless there is a last big event on my side.

Surf and Sweat Shooters List
23rd Feb, Mahalo Beach, Sentosa
0800-1600hrs

1. sehsuan (confirmed, digicam)
2. nekogotch (confirmed, digicam)
3. FOOXX (film)
4. mervlam
5. dagger (confirmed, digital/film)
6. ah meng
7. taicw

Hey i'll wanna go too! it's been so long since i went to e beach!
Can i?!?
:rbounce:

0800-1600hrs

3. FOOXX (film)
4. mervlam
6. ah meng
7. taicw

8. Hazardman (confirmed, film/digital)

Folks, for those who are going for the Surf and Sweat shoot at Sentosa on 23rd Feb using digital cameras, you are kindly requested to pass a digital copy to me, so that i can compile them and pass them on over to the event committee - because i'm helping them to get the photos. those using film, if you can develop the film and scan them into digital copies, please do so - the event committee would sure love to have photos for their effort in organizing. ;)

as mentioned in an earlier post - the organizers would be paying for about 10 roll's development cost, so it's only fair that they get the negatives. so film shooters, please take note of this point, ok? so....
1. if you want to keep the negatives, please scan for yourself a digital copy, and pass the negatives to the organizers.
2. if you don't need to keep the negatives, please scan a digital copy for yourself.

see la, so mar-fan, film users.... DEE-GEE-tal rules! *runs off to avoid kenna whacking* :D

this is strictly a volunteering effort - so no payment involved, ok? :)

Hey Sehsuan,
Can I join in both events??? PM you on my hp...
Prob use my Canon S10. My Nikon 775 just suffered a blown flash.
:(

.....those using film, if you can develop the film and scan them into digital copies, please do so - the event committee would sure love to have photos for their effort in organizing. ;)

as mentioned in an earlier post - the organizers would be paying for about 10 roll's development cost, so it's only fair that they get the negatives. so film shooters, please take note of this point, ok? so....
1. if you want to keep the negatives, please scan for yourself a digital copy, and pass the negatives to the organizers.
2. if you don't need to keep the negatives, please scan a digital copy for yourself .....

hmmm ......

they will pay for 10 roll'z development ..... but will they supply uz with the filmz b4hand ..... ?? .....

or we need to get the filmz ourzelvez 1zt n then claim frm them hah ..... ?? .....

:D

fooxx, good question. let's be conservative and take it that they'll only pay for the developing of the negatives.

assume the best, expect the worst ;)

actually if they want people to provide event coverage, nothing beats the Photo-Videographic Society of NTU. :devil: we can provide a service to all NTU Clubs and Societies. why ask outside people? :p

Btw, i'm the Photography Chairperson of PVS

Originally posted by Dagger
0800-1600hrs

3. FOOXX (film)
4. mervlam
6. ah meng
7. taicw

Thinking of joining you guys for the above mentioned event, but I'll most prob be shooting for meself. Will pass you any of the shots that you might find useful to the organiser, but they must develop the prints themselves.

Have not shot event for quite sometime already, so I need to exercise my rusty fingers soon.

PM me to confirm the details.

0800-1600hrs

3. FOOXX (film)
4. mervlam
5. dagger (digicam)
6. ah meng
7. taicw
8.Hazardman (confirmed, film/digital)
9.Patricc (confirmed,digicam)

please try to confirm your attendance, and state if you're coming with film or digital camera, thanks.

suggested items:
1. waterproofing for camera/yourself.
2. sunglasses, sunblock.
3. $$$
4. camera cleaning kit
5. bicycle (can cycle there from home, or rent one there - easy to move around)
6. patience! :D

PM me for details etc.

sehsuan, r u sure that the organisers want so many photographers around? surely this is not an open invitation for photographers right?

2. if you don't need to keep the negatives, please scan a digital copy for yourself.
sehsuan, so what's the difference between the 2? :dunno:

Originally posted by mervlam
sehsuan, r u sure that the organisers want so many photographers around? surely this is not an open invitation for photographers right?

let me put it this way - the idea is that we'll all go down and practice sports photography. but whether each individual wants to give the organizers the negatives (or developed pics) or not, it's your own free choice.

this is not so much a problem for those using digital cameras, since we can choose to copy the pictures for the organizers or not. but since it's so easy to make digital copies, i think most people would burn the pics on a cd and hand it to the organizers anyway. but be cautioned, you may not get the photo credits nor any reimbursement for the photos - it's strictly a volunteer thing. so don't expect too much, though i can try to liaise - but this is only a promise that i will try to ask for photo credits - but that may need our individual post processing for the pics for a digital watermark. we'll trash out any further issues as the date draws near.

but things can get a bit tricky for the film shooters. for those who don't want to give the negatives to the organizers, you can of course keep your own reel(s) of film and/or the developed pics to yourself. obviously too, these people cannot expect the organizers to pay anything. this is the "shooting for myself" scenario.

the film shooters, who decide to let the organizers have the photos, there are a number of possible scenarios.
- first is, you want to keep the negatives for yourself, and charge the organizers for it. it should be ok - but i'll check for you guys.
- second scenario is, you don't want to keep anything (developed pics nor negatives) for yourself. of course the charges will be borne by the organizers.
- thirdly, those of you who want to charge the organizers for development, so that you can keep the photos, but give away the developed pics - i'll check for you if the organizers will pay for the development of the photos you're holding. any other issues (whether you want to scan the photos for yourself/the organizer) will be separate issues that we can work out later.

please be reminded that the organizers can only pay for development of up to 10 reels of negative film, so those shooting using film, please indicate on the attendance thread. thanks! :gbounce:

phew! hope i've been able to clarify matters here... any further questions, please do ask... :)

Hi sehsuan,

All of us understand that the market is driven by the force of supply and demand, and if the organisers want volunteering photographers and there are photographers willing to do for free, I guess there is no problem.

However, we should not use photo credits as a bargaining tool on our side. Since this service is done out of our goodwill, having photo credits is our given right, especially so when we are giving up our rights of the photographs to the organiser.

I hope we will make our stand on this issue. And I also feel that the organiser should be the one ensuring that the credits are duely given if they use the photographs and that the responsibility not lies with the photographer by watermarking his own photographs. Also, who are to ensure that they will not crop out the watermarks when they use the images in future?

Just my thoughts...

i see your point, Bean. i'm in ok-ok contact terms with some members of the Sports Club. i'll make mention about what we should get (at least the credits) as part of our volunteering rights.

i'll also make watermarks for my photos that i took for the ntu bike rally 2003 - danged, i can get more hits for my site this way! :bsmilie:

Let me (all of us) know when you are going down for Lovebites (you are not going down on all 3 days right?), I will join you if there are nothing on going on that evening... :)

hmmm... feel like going for Surf & Sweat

Status
Not open for further replies.