so true

zaren

Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
303892_10150847706450221_516540220_21063615_1635195356_n.jpg

the pencil was used to rewind the cassette…

am i that old?

haha used to did that during the walkman era!

I normally use my last finger, unless it's a long rewinding process. due to stucked tapes in the head.

I use my last finger too...but normally, I don't have to do so unless for special reasons. cos I listen from Side A -> B then the cassette player will auto-flip and play B -> A. At the most just press rewind lor :bsmilie:

probably the scenarios that happen is before there is rewinding?

Kit said:
Pencil I know..... but what's that rectangular thingy you guys call cassette?

It's like an olden day DVD. Portable music players moved from cassette tapes to CD to memory cards. It's amazing how the data, which was once stored in tapes, can exist in such a small chip now.

It's like an olden day DVD. Portable music players moved from cassette tapes to CD to memory cards. It's amazing how the data, which was once stored in tapes, can exist in such a small chip now.

Some server backup are still on bigger "cassette" tapes (magnetic tapes)

Some server backup are still on bigger "cassette" tapes (magnetic tapes)

Not some, almost all. Not unless the data got too much like in the petabytes range where we choose to use Storage Area Network(SAN) systems with off site SAN backup. Some of the latest technology offers multi-tiering where you stack SSD, SAS HD and SATA HD together to give you speed and large storage capability along with the extremely neat snapshot technology for instance backup.

In current technology, tape backups are still the most reliable backup technology but not consumer pricing yet.

Actually some are smaller than the cassette you saw above, just thicker :)

Last edited:

Remember, it was not data on those old casettes.

Remember, it was not data on those old casettes.

I suppose the right words are "not digital". They are analog :) After all, regardless of digital or analog, all of them are data. Isn't it ? :)

If you ask me, I say all are analog. The difference in so called digital or analog is how you interpret the analog data to determine between digital and analog :)

Many years back, I have actually though of writing a driver for my old sound blaster card to write digital information into an audio tape. Didn't really get into it because never really pick up driver writing skills in my study and career path.

Last edited: