Small question on underexposed films

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think TS only has the Holga 135BC at the moment, and it doesn't have metering or any adjustments to shutter and aperture.. but still 6 rolls of 200 film shot in daylight with nothing much turning out is still a mystery..

I think TS only has the Holga 135BC at the moment, and it doesn't have metering or any adjustments to shutter and aperture.. but still 6 rolls of 200 film shot in daylight with nothing much turning out is still a mystery..
TS never mention shots are all taken under daylight, and some are the are pretty clear (to him), but an experience person can tell how are the exposure from the print or negative.

yeah i know , i meant that i tested around 6 rolls of film altogether already and its 35mm films .
I've recieved the negatives already and some of the shots are pretty clear to me but the uncle told me all of the shots are underexposed.
Guess i now know where to go and where not to go .
So how long should i keep my shutter open for day shots ?

Well, yes, but a Holga or a manual camera in the hands of someone with a bit more experience can still produce usable shots.
If the TS is not sure about the basics, sticking to something with more latitude would give a higher chance of success.

Well, yes, but a Holga or a manual camera in the hands of someone with a bit more experience can still produce usable shots.
If the TS is not sure about the basics, sticking to something with more latitude would give a higher chance of success.

which is ? i'm not sure about the basics at the moment , just wanna produce some pictures and have fun . it might be the film shops that develop the film . who knows . :dunno:

which is ? i'm not sure about the basics at the moment , just wanna produce some pictures and have fun . it might be the film shops that develop the film . who knows . :dunno:

Like diving into shark infested waters?

I learnt the basics in a few minutes when I started. It isn't hard.
Or if you're mentally retarded, you can find a camera will a full auto function.

Like diving into shark infested waters?

I learnt the basics in a few minutes when I started. It isn't hard.
Or if you're mentally retarded, you can find a camera will a full auto function.

I don't quite think the last sentence is warranted, considering you yourself don't know what f/stops are.

What is more likely? Lot's of film shops are being unable to do some decent developing but are able to tell funny stories to hundreds of customers or is it that you just don't know enough to achieve your target of "some pictures and have fun"?
To put it straight forward: you have the wrong tool. You choose a manual car with only two gears and no instruments but you only have watched your father in this automatic car with 2 pedals and a gear lever that he uses somehow. And you're cursing the man at the petrol station that your car is too slow. :think:
Go to your library and get some decent books about the very basics of photography. You might even want to start with any cheap digital PnS that can be put into Manual mode so that you see the result immediately. This way you'll learn faster about aperture, ISO, shutter speed and also about metering. Once you know this you can return to your Holga and I'm sure your pictures turn out much better.

I'm sure these shops have done it for years and can't do it right still. Pin the blame on them. Sure.

How much more likely is it that the source of the problem lies with the party who doesn't know much about producing good images, as opposed to the labs who know how to go about their livelihood and have done it for years? :nono:

It's like a guitarist blaming his guitar when he plays wrong chords.

So was it underexposed? Or were all the films UNexposed?

If unexposed ah, I think maybe the reel didn't catch the film properly, so actually you didn't manage to expose any of the frames. I've done that before, once, and I won't ever do it again. Make sure to rewind the film abit after loading to ensure that it's taut in the camera. That way, you know that there is a sure catch on the film sprockets.

If it's underexposed, maybe try using 400 film instead of 200? Although I'm quite sure 200, and even 100 film should expose pretty ok on a sunny day.

I hope you didn't get the Velvia as yet. Like others said, slides are much less forgiving and have a lower latitude/tolerance for wrong exposures. But having said that, you could try a Velvia 100 then go cross-process it. The uncle at Ruby photo tells me that cross-processing usually kinda increases the exposure, coz when I took properly exposed slides to cross-process, the results were really blown highlights... like overexposure. Not sure how true that is though.

Hope you get to enjoy your 135BC... =)

oh well , although abit off my own topic , but where can i buy velvia 100f at a normal price ? planning to take some shots on sat and see the results .

First thing, color negative have larger exposure latitude compare to color slide, you shot 6 rolls of negative, with some much rooms for exposure error, the uncle from the lab still can tell you all are underexposed. why would you want to try your luck on shooting color slide?

2nd thing, shooting Holga is all about fun, and the fun about producing unpredictable results, but also need some basic knowledge about photography

3rd thing, color slide cost more than negative, the cost or processing too, do you want to spend some monty just to try your luck? or should learn some fundamental photography first?

4th thing, don't forget the lab have process countless film and doing this for living, tho some time some labs do screw up, but for your case is very unlikely, you need to find some other better excuse.

I was at sentosa last monday and brought along my holga 135bc
I played around with it using Fujicolor superia 200.
Apparently i took all my pictures in the day although all of it is just pns.
When i went to the shop to develop , the uncle told me it was underexposed.:dunno:
(i played with around 6rolls of film already . all under exposed , no picture ! :cry:)
Dint ask the uncle there as he always have the 'i dont care about you attitude'
I was wondering how is that possible and what can i do to get the shots out.
Any 1 can help me with my problem ? thanks!

Can you see the images on yr negs? If so, then shld be able to develop and maybe the uncle is the problem, so bring to another lab.

Based on yr settings for 135BC, dun think there shld be any problems.
Or did you forget to remove lens cap ? :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.