Singaporeans, Wake up before it is too late !

Status
Not open for further replies.
szekiat said:
jon, will the cove still be around in july?

Not very likely SzeKiat. Closure was already hinted for end of April... but still no official closure notice as yet. They have started blocking off most of the entry points, but the main access point is still open as the contractors are still in full work schedule. This entry is gated and hence entry during off-work hours may be a problem.

Yes the cove is a great place but it has it's problems too. Just in late March a number of people have gotten their cars bogged in the soft sand. The most recent hazard are nails. Yes, nails. Someone don't really want the public to enter the place and are serious enough to have planted nails at certain critical areas.

Changi cove is not just a newly gazetted place for the 2008 Airshow. One must remember that an airforce base sits smack in the middle of the cove. Hence there are lots of people that don't really welcome too much intrusion into the cove, not just the contractors.

just to add that ever since chek jawa became protected. it is limited to 15-20 visits every 3 months.
I have tried and tried and am still unable to see it.

In the first place Terminal 3 at Changi International is directly opposite Terminal 2 and is at the final stages of completion. So obviously you are barking up the wrong tree (Terminal 3) at "Changi Cove".:)

"I don t think Singapore needs a 3rd terminal... the 2 actual terminals (plus the newly opened and still empty budget terminal) are sometime a bit full but most of the time you spend less time queueing at Changi than queueing for the taxi to get out of there... (and I know what I am talking about on this part as I am there very often !)
You guys need to wake up and do something about it... I am sure that a lot of people would be ready to help if they knew about it (even the guys from the development company..)"

"Changi cove" used to be a sand flat that I waded on during low tide in the early 70s. It was reclaimed subsequently for the future expansion of changi airport's 3rd Runway and the Naval Base. The plans to develop that area (Changi Cove) was formulated a long time ago. Unfortunately our birdy friends find it a good place to roost in the interim.

The birding community, Societies, or self proclaimed conservationists that are shooting these birds at "Changi Cove" should be fully aware that their feather friends' habitat are on leased term , and if they are really conservation minded they should have taken the steps to consult and discuss with the developing agency to relocate these birds .......and I hope they have .

Toa Payah and Ang Moh kio and Yishun used to have one of the richest bird life in the 60s , just too bad that we needed more highrise pigeon holes for our people, who were squatting in squatters in Bukit Ho Swee and the likes ... hence human needs prevailed and the birds nests were sacrificed for the pigeon holes for our people.

As we gets more affluent and prosperous we will get more conservation minded and there will be competing needs for the limited land we have for further developments versus conservation. We will have to be pragmatic and strike a fine balance between sustainable conservation and development needs .

This island rightfully belongs to the birds , lions , tigers , wildboars, and the creepy crawlies ....shall we vacate Ang Moh Kio, Toa Payoh and Yishun Towns, or may be the whole island and return it to their rightful owners?:dunno: :)

My 2 cents worth!

:cheers:

Looks like the 3rd runway is already being build. you can see it off Changi Coast Road on the reclaim land, parallel to the other two runways as you takeoff.

szekiat said:
Unfortunately, its not so easy to relocate migrant birds.

In sg contex... it a non-issue. All birds species here are at also residents of our neighbouring countries.

They will re-settle to non developed areas. Only issue are those still unhatched or hatchlings.

"Go to your elected person or to the ministry of environment or even the ministry of tourism as Singapore is selling itself as a Green/environment friendly Nation (or higher if some of you know the right person...) and show what is going to be destructed....
I don t think Singapore needs a 3rd terminal... the 2 actual terminals (plus the newly opened and still empty budget terminal) are sometime a bit full but most of the time you spend less time queueing at Changi than queueing for the taxi to get out of there... (and I know what I am talking about on this part as I am there very often !)
You guys need to wake up and do something about it... I am sure that a lot of people would be ready to help if they knew about it (even the guys from the development company..)"

I believe whether Singapore needs a 3rd terminal or not is not up to us to judge, for we lack the insight and data in the aviation sector and cannot be determined solely by queueing times. An airport is more than just a communication linkpoint between countries. There r often political, commercial and economical agenda in it as well. These agendas are what Singapore need to stay at a slight edge above the rest.
R u sure most people of singapore r willing to lower their present standard of living just so that some small area that most people are not even aware of will be conserved?
Nature is adaptable in nature, destroy the habitat will probably kill a couple of individual..yes...but most will probably sense the impending change n migrate.
Pls give credit to the government for having to balance the delicate equilibrium between conservation and development. It issnt easy.

Well said, mercurial_streak.

Geez, toxicdiver, don't even know where Terminal 3 is, and never even step foot into Changi Cove? I'm surprised as you sound so convincing in your first post. ;)

i think the main thing to do at this point is not to moan over the cove but to raise awareness over the other areas. It would help tremendously in the future i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.