Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

i would like the brains and physique of an israeli, sports genes of a black, looks of a north indian and family values of a chinese.

It doesn't mean that you will not be short, weak, ugly and rotten in the core. There are the goods and bads of every kind.

but the fact of the matter is this...singapore has limited capabilities due to our small population of 5 mio so we need to import talent.

i would like the brains and physique of an israeli, sports genes of a black, looks of a north indian and family values of a chinese.

Actually, 5 million is not a small population. I do believe we have a very large local talent pool that remains untapped. But most will choose the route of getting a "real job". Take Kendrick Lee for example...

Actually, 5 million is not a small population. I do believe we have a very large local talent pool that remains untapped. But most will choose the route of getting a "real job". Take Kendrick Lee for example...

Who is Kendrick Lee? Actually, let's face it. Singapore genes are not the type that will excel in global conpetitive sports no matter how hard you train, how young you start, how talented you are. Just look at water polo. No matter how mighty they are regionally, they can't compete with the bigger boys in Asia, not to mention the world. The only one that came close is Ang Peng Siong that once set the world's fastest time of 50m free. He is quite a big man. How many Singaporean actually have that type of physique?

To those who used to criticise our table tennis players, think about this. These girls were not even national players before they took the risk to come over to Singapore. At most, they had the potential but there are tons of these players back at home waiting for the chance to make it to the national squad. Many were proviincial champions, league champions, etc. and only a handful make it to the national squad. Even then, only the cream of them get to represent the country. Sadly, many don't get to realise their dream of representing their homeland. Along the way, some get the opportunity to go overseas to play and eventually represent the host country. So, to say that they are just are not our players is not fair to them. We trained them, groomed them, gave them every opportunites to play at the international arena to pit their skills against other foreign players which otherwise they would never have hoped to achieve if they still remain in China. All the efforts at our end bear dividends and we should be proud of them. Come on, lets give credit where it is due.

Some Singaporeans also claim that our sports associations are not grooming locals and resort to importing foreigners as a short cut. I dun think it is entirely true that the policy is to import foreigners. Just look at any of our sports. How many of us Singaporean are willing to play take part in a particular sports full time rather than mixed playing part time and at the same time get a tertiary education? To many, sports can never be their bread and butter and a paper at least can ensure that they get a job till they retire. Studying and training during free time is not the way to go. U can never reach the top this way. Over the years, with a pool of local players who had to juggle training with studies, how do u expect our standard to be like what we see today?

If we can't win, then so be it. So our current TT standards is so high now, then wat? Definitely to continue bringing more over here to maintain the standards. What's the point?

I can accept Li Jiawei who came at a young age and was indeed being groomed here. But Feng Tianwei & Wang Yue Gu + the male team are obviously short cuts taken by the Sports Council for quick success.

Anyway it was never the girls' fault but the Sports Council who took such an approach for glory.

Many years ago, I supported Jing Jun Hong who I definitely have no problem calling a Singaporean. Her presence then does raise the standards of our TT team. But now, I just dun feel a thing.

......how many of us are natives of Singapore? How many of American are natives of America? Maybe we would only consider them as superpower in sports if they only field Red Indians.

There will always be underdogs now and then. But can you see the real problem from the article you linked. The elites are the powerhouse in sport! How many of these elites will want a sport career. Secondly, sport school, they train more than most other schools but no result. Worse they wanna raise the academic status of the school by offering IB programme and get RGS principle in - they wanna be another elite school, it is a joke to me.

sport school should be a place to provide all sport training for all children free from primary 1 onward, and from there select those who have talent to formerly join the sport school for the secondary education. btw they charge around $500 per month for lodging another big obstacle for ton of people.

......how many of us are natives of Singapore? How many of American are natives of America? Maybe we would only consider them as superpower in sports if they only field Red Indians.

Sir, not too long there was a tv programme in which a local chinese (Singapore Born Chinese) was ask - What is your race? He pause for awhile and answered - I'm a Singaporean, cos he die die doesn't want to acknowledge he is a Chinese. He is a pure Singaporean.

There will always be underdogs now and then. But can you see the real problem from the article you linked. The elites are the powerhouse in sport! How many of these elites will want a sport career. Secondly, sport school, they train more than most other schools but no result. Worse they wanna raise the academic status of the school by offering IB programme and get RGS principle in - they wanna be another elite school, it is a joke to me.

sport school should be a place to provide all sport training for all children free from primary 1 onward, and from there select those who have talent to formerly join the sport school for the secondary education. btw they charge around $500 per month for lodging another big obstacle for ton of people.

it doesn't seem intuitive that such schools would be powerhouses in sports though, there is no linkage between academic results and sporting achievements. perhaps the explanation is that they are accepting entrants based on sporting achievement as well when academic results will not suffice? :dunno:

another explanation might be that a lot of the so-called "elite" schools (that happen to be dominating sports arena as well) tend to be indepedent schools, hence have a much higher budget in this aspect compared to government schools?

i'm not sure how it works though.

by the way, come to think of it, budget explanation does not really fit for all sports, distribution is very skewed towards particular "traditional sports", i'm sure i don't have to elaborate which ones.....

Last edited:
Yes, whether it is in sports or getting a tertiary education, alot of sacrifices need to be made especially financial one. And, sports is not one thing that can guarantee a good return compared to a good education. At least, with a good education, those who gone thru the university or polytechnics can be assured to a lifelong employment compared to sports where only a very small percentage of those who chose this line will make the grade to national level. Whether they can earn the huge incentives from getting gold, silver or bronze medals from international competitions is another matter. Singaporeans, being pragmatic and also partly not risk taker, would prefer the "safer" route i.e. education.

A lot of valid points here.
Financial stability is the deal maker or breaker.

Seriously does sgporeans really enjoy TT more than soccer? I rather we buy spain brazil or other national team and play world cup. Not many friends of mine watches TT and the excitement i notice are mostly fr FT. Then again when we "shipped" them aint they expected to perform?

I remember watching olympic and saw denmark vs canada.... I was likr WTH why are both chinese? So it is not made in china assemble in singapore. It is made in china and shipped in via vpost. Real singapore girls has the word singapore printed on their ic and not some other nations.

Real singapore girls has the word singapore printed on their ic and not some other nations.

you do realise that your forefathers spent most of their lives in singapore, but they came from china?

so we are a v-posted nation.

my grandfather was not born in singapore, but he's been in it for nearly 80% of his life. compared to a lot of the current generation who will laugh and mock and make fun of everything under the sun as if singapore is a shameful nation, he speaks of singapore with pride.

so who's singaporean? ;)

Seriously does sgporeans really enjoy TT more than soccer? I rather we buy spain brazil or other national team and play world cup. Not many friends of mine watches TT and the excitement i notice are mostly fr FT. Then again when we "shipped" them aint they expected to perform?
please take a look at the amount of money involved in importing top class foreign players in the english premier league. i think for the sake of our country, it is better than we stick to table tennis.

anyways, as far as i recall, all these foreign imports involved in playing english football in england usually return to their home countries to play for their own national teams when it comes to the world cup..

with today's degree of globalization, place of birth is at best an artifical construct in people's minds to find people who are different to take out their fears on them. i have a friend who was born in china, has been in scotland for the earlier years of her life, and is now a singaporean citizen. she's spent most of her life in singapore, and she acts exactly like a singaporean. maybe if you had some friends like that you'd not speak so quickly.

anyhow, it does seem a wee bit funny to me that it is only in sports in particular where birthplace seems to matter a lot. let's take a look at albert einstein, who was born in germany...... and died in the united states - you don't see people arguing over who produces smarter people based on this fact, do you?

Last edited:
it doesn't seem intuitive that such schools would be powerhouses in sports though, there is no linkage between academic results and sporting achievements. perhaps the explanation is that they are accepting entrants based on sporting achievement as well when academic results will not suffice? :dunno:

another explanation might be that a lot of the so-called "elite" schools (that happen to be dominating sports arena as well) tend to be indepedent schools, hence have a much higher budget in this aspect compared to government schools?

i'm not sure how it works though.

by the way, come to think of it, budget explanation does not really fit for all sports, distribution is very skewed towards particular "traditional sports", i'm sure i don't have to elaborate which ones.....

Mostly right.

There is the School Direct Admission (DSA). Where "secondary schools will select some of their Sec 1 students earlier using criteria other than the PSLE results."
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/dsa-sec/

Budget wise, more money means
1) hiring coaches with proven track record
2) having more coaching sessions
3) having better facilities
4) having overseas immersion with schools that have strong programmes in the particular sports

For the aesthetics CCAs where the SYF judging is considered one of the main events, it is the opinion of many that particular coaches are linked to guaranteed "Gold". Its a matter of whether you can afford their five figure monthly fees.

For most other schools that have limited funds, they will look for their "niche areas" and concentrate their money there.

Budget wise, more money means
1) hiring coaches with proven track record
2) having more coaching sessions
3) having better facilities
4) having overseas immersion with schools that have strong programmes in the particular sports

not really, #4 is not an issue for sports. i don't see how training with australia, or america, or britain or whatever funky location you go to really helps. certainly it will benefit students by means of exposure, but nothing more than that......?

for #1, #2 and #3, probably, but not for all sports, just the ones that the schools choose to focus on. e.g. njc with canoeing.

Yes night86mare. Sorry if i have been too strong in my choice of words. I never think or understand why spend so much money on sports when it can be use for better purpose. And well i have too many unhappy encounters with this grp of FT which drive me nuts sometimes. Sadly i never had a friend like that of yours.

I am too practical. I just cant see how TT benefits us? The medals i use 500 bucks and in 1 week i can win all kind of world championship. The idea to reward them with more money just dont make sense at least to me.

Why we import foreign talent for table tennis, but not for Miss Singapore

Why we import foreign talent for table tennis, but not for Miss Singapore

Hahha... I see prettier girls in uni days and on the streets.... I cant understand that either.
Is embarrassing sometimes to look at the contestants....I salute them for their courage Only.

not really, #4 is not an issue for sports. i don't see how training with australia, or america, or britain or whatever funky location you go to really helps. certainly it will benefit students by means of exposure, but nothing more than that......?

for #1, #2 and #3, probably, but not for all sports, just the ones that the schools choose to focus on. e.g. njc with canoeing.

Funky locations, true, and perhaps even gimmicky; but it is sometimes a pull for "talented" students when they decide which school they might want to apply for.

For teachers, its an opportunity to see if they could adapt any parts of the foreign programme to the local context.

Yup, my #1, #2 and #3 doesn't refer to all sports in the school. Like what you said, its the ones the schools choose to focus on. Just that the schools with more budget (i.e. elite ones) can choose to focus on more types.

That said, and I think I risk getting flamed here, but I think credit must also be given to the kids from those "elite" schools, they can sometimes possess a stronger desire to excel (i.e. hate to lose).

Yes night86mare. Sorry if i have been too strong in my choice of words. I never think or understand why spend so much money on sports when it can be use for better purpose. And well i have too many unhappy encounters with this grp of FT which drive me nuts sometimes. Sadly i never had a friend like that of yours.

I am too practical. I just cant see how TT benefits us? The medals i use 500 bucks and in 1 week i can win all kind of world championship. The idea to reward them with more money just dont make sense at least to me.

it is a national pride issue, i guess.

singapore's not the only country who emphasizes sporting achievements. i do know loads of people who really feel happy when you can say that singapore was won this and that. :) nothing wrong with that. of course the immediate value to the people uninterested in sports is probably inexistant, but that doesn't mean that no one derives positive value from it..