Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Silica Gel; Thirsty Hippo; DryCabinet, Which ONE??

Results are only viewable after voting.

I use a drybox with a rechargable silica pack. Once teh indication turns pink, I plug the pack into an AC outlet and charge (actually got heater inside to dry the silica) and put back into drybox. However I'm planning to DIY a glass cabinet with dehumifier lamp together with the same silica pack (for backup).

where can i get 1 of this "rechargable silica pack"??

I use a drybox with a rechargable silica pack. Once teh indication turns pink, I plug the pack into an AC outlet and charge (actually got heater inside to dry the silica) and put back into drybox. However I'm planning to DIY a glass cabinet with dehumifier lamp together with the same silica pack (for backup).

where to get the silica pack u mention?

just bought the thirsty hippo. the packet kind to put in my bag when out photo taking.

Realised that it left a very very strong smell on my camera....those new clothes smell. But what I didnt like more was that it seem to feel powdery powdery. Was afraid the powder would get into the lens/camera. So decided to stop using it.

Anyone has similar experience?

haha :think:
oh well, I feel that sometimes its a gadget thing? Dun flame me! :devil:
I have always felt that silica gel is a better option
1)how do you know when the hygrometer is spoilt?
2)Dry cabbi runs on electricity. What happens if accidentally pull plug?
3)Someone advised before that drybox investment shld be 1/10th of ur gear investment cos no point to put in more money there for roughly the same level of protection
4)haha and a recent trip to a 2nd hand camera shop made me realise hey! They are displaying the cameras in a glass cabinet lor. Dun see any silica gel or even dehumidifier lamp. Maybe air con air is dry enough already? haha :bsmilie:

Hey those make senses but how do we know whether when should we change the silica gel sachets? sorry, kinda new here:angel:

no probs we r here to help the newbies..
sometimes they give nice stories that we can laugh at during outings!
rofl kiddiing

sillica gel turns colorless or pink depending on the dye that's present.
new silica is blue

thirsty hippo changes from solid to liquid..

no probs we r here to help the newbies..
sometimes they give nice stories that we can laugh at during outings!
rofl kiddiing

sillica gel turns colorless or pink depending on the dye that's present.
new silica is blue

thirsty hippo changes from solid to liquid..

hahah:bsmilie: thanks alot pal!

drybox works well for me :)
I have a few silica packs scattered in my camera bag too

I use a special big plastic container with surround seal and four clamps - it has a turning knob at the top cover to tighten the air space inside making it more airtight I mean, of course, I put two tubes of silica gel

Last edited:
Once your silica turns colourless, just pop them into the oven until they turn blue again.

You can use those oven for toasting bread.

Note: Don't use microwave oven.

Last edited:
Once your silica turns colourless, just pop them into the oven until they turn blue again.

A suggestion though, line your toaster oven with aluminium foil and air your over after that.

Silical gel can sometimes break down after too much reheating and you don't want the powder to stick to your toaster over tray. And the slight chemical smell left over can be quite irritating to some. BTW I am assuming that you are using silical gel from a container not one of those prepacked ones

Alternatively just spread all the used silica gel onto an old pan and put it in the sun. With the strong afternoon sun we are get it should dessicate quite quickly.

Agree with Diavonex not to use microwave ovens, the gel adds a distasteful plastic smell to the oven, not the best aroma to add to your food!

just bought the thirsty hippo. the packet kind to put in my bag when out photo taking.

Realised that it left a very very strong smell on my camera....those new clothes smell. But what I didnt like more was that it seem to feel powdery powdery. Was afraid the powder would get into the lens/camera. So decided to stop using it.

Anyone has similar experience?
there's a nice fresh smell with it.
has been using it inside a dry box since i got my camera. no problem with it.

that aside...why do you need to put a thirsty hippo in your bag while out for photo taking? the fungus wont settle so quickly on your camera leh.

Last edited:
Alternatively just spread all the used silica gel onto an old pan and put it in the sun. With the strong afternoon sun we are get it should dessicate quite quickly.....

Putting the silica in the sun won't work because our humidity range from a high 90's in the early morning to around 60 % in the mid-afternoon. Our average humidity is 84%.

Putting the silica in the sun won't work because our humidity range from a high 90's in the early morning to around 60 % in the mid-afternoon. Our average humidity is 84%.

Yes I guess that is true if you leave the silica gel to air at room temperature indoors, as its equilibrium water content will match the surroundings. Under strong sunlight however the gel heats up and enough water does dissipate to turn it blue again. Try it, it works, though I found that "born-again" silica gel doesn't remain blue for as long a time as when you first bought it.

After using gel for a few years however, I went and got a drybox from Alan Photo anyway. Decided to leave the fate of my equipment to the digital hygrometer than to estimate how much gel to put in the box. Too much - byebye rubber seals, too little - hello fungus. :wink:

the inquisitive side in me makes me want to go the DIY route of making my own dry box. but the lazy side tells me to go get the dry cab!

for those using the rechargeable silica pack, does it ever wear more quickly after lots of recharging?

Nothing beats a Electric Drybox/Cabinet for you dun have to worry abt anything else..
Running just like a refrigerator..but much lower on electricity consumption..Convenient.:)