Sigma DP1M - A User's Review

For those not yet owning a wide angle lens think about this as your dedicated lens with a body. I love the details in the MITA building.

Some shots taken with the DP1M during my holiday trip there last week...

original.jpg

Grand Bazaar, Istanbul

original.jpg

Push cart bread seller

original.jpg

Trojan Horse at Troy

original.jpg

Mausoleum of Ataturk at Ankara

146607349.jpg

The Odeon Amphitheatre in Ephesus
Larger version: Ephesus Odeon photo - Steve photos at pbase.com

Are these straight out from camera or after processed ?
I would never post photos straight out of the camera as no camera ever made can produce the best images straight out of the camera. ;)

Excellent details!
What's your workflow to process the RAW files?

Thank you. This scene is begging to be printed!:cool:

Excellent details!
What's your workflow to process the RAW files?
I think credits for the details have to go to the Foveon sensor and the fixed lenses of these cameras.
During RAW processing, I usually set it to Auto and then do minor adjustments to Exposure, Contrast and X3F Fill Light if necessary. If the light condition is good, Foveon images do not seem to need very much post processing.

I think credits for the details have to go to the Foveon sensor and the fixed lenses of these cameras.
During RAW processing, I usually set it to Auto and then do minor adjustments to Exposure, Contrast and X3F Fill Light if necessary. If the light condition is good, Foveon images do not seem to need very much post processing.

How's the software provided by Sigma? Does it crash your system? Do u port it over to Lightroom or Aperture library for subsequent use?

How's the software provided by Sigma? Does it crash your system? Do u port it over to Lightroom or Aperture library for subsequent use?
Sigma Photo Pro 5 works OK on my PC. It does not port to other editing software. It is not part of my workflow to do that anyway as I prefer to convert all the RAW files I wanted first and then start to post process them later.

Really nice pics! :) Tomcat, could you upload more nice pics of Turkey plus a few original size ones for us to pixel peep? :p Thanks!

Really nice pics! :) Tomcat, could you upload more nice pics of Turkey plus a few original size ones for us to pixel peep? :p Thanks!
Thanks.
I have lots of pics of my Turkey trip taken with the DP1M, DP2M, Nikon D800E and Olympus OM-D. Will upload them soon.
There are a few full-sized ones in my DP2M review post. Have you seen them?

Dear dp1m users,
Yesterday i test printed a converted b&w image of a night scene. It was a 8MB jpeg file. I printed it AO size (33X46 inches), my first large print. Guess what, i was floored by the details and sharpness of the print! And it was at close scrutiny. So start making big prints of your favourite images! Unfortunately another slippery road...i assure you there is immense pleasure seeing the image in big print.(dislaimer: It does make a dent in your wallet too)
I will make a colour print next.

it is natural for a 28mm wide angle to exhibit distortion.

This camera is so good the file output is better than my M9 with 28mm summicron F2. That's saying alot really.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I have lots of pics of my Turkey trip taken with the DP1M, DP2M, Nikon D800E and Olympus OM-D. Will upload them soon.
There are a few full-sized ones in my DP2M review post. Have you seen them?

Can the DP1M match the D800E? :D

man, am really poisoned BIG TIME by this thread! been wanting to get a DP cam since it first came out but backed out after reading so many negative reviews, but i guess Sigma has turned out a really nice one this time with the Merrill series. the IQ blows me away! i can live with its shortcomings with the results that it can give me.

i will be getting a DP1m from a fellow CSser soon. i actually prefer the 19mm (28mm) as it fits more to my shooting preference, although the DP2m has a slightly better 30mm (45mm) lens from what i have read.

hope to get my hands on the cam soon, and maybe contribute to this thread as well. thanks for all the posts, they are extremely informative.