Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer

pachero said:
I agree.

This is the best lens I owned till now. Frankly I was a little sceptical when i read all the raving reviews. But after I owned it, it had been glued to my camera.

I have a feeling the new batches are all being QC more thoroughly then the earlier batches. Mine was sharp out of box and test done on charts are all good.

I have not test it on the chart. Btw can you share? Where can I get a copy of the chart?

Bodhisattva said:
I have not test it on the chart. Btw can you share? Where can I get a copy of the chart?

Bro, just google for "lens focusing chart" there should be many available online. Print it out and try.

Have fun!

pachero said:
Bro, just google for "lens focusing chart" there should be many available online. Print it out and try.

Have fun!

Roger...will do that. Thanks

markyen said:
Smooth is the newer version with the barrel non coated. The old version has the coating that sometimes tend to peel off.

Thanks for the explanation. Wonder which batch are those at DD electronics. Their price is way too good.

But cowseye, regardless of the price from dd electronics, you get 0 free calibrations. But if you manage to get a good copy the first time then good for you. Being a d90 user, I'm still thinking if it's safe to get the sigma because of a lack of micro adjustment.

Oh ya is it true that each paid calibration costs 150SGD?

hotchoco1ate said:
But cowseye, regardless of the price from dd electronics, you get 0 free calibrations. But if you manage to get a good copy the first time then good for you. Being a d90 user, I'm still thinking if it's safe to get the sigma because of a lack of micro adjustment.

Oh ya is it true that each paid calibration costs 150SGD?

IIRC, based on what I read in the thread, it seems that there are 2 free calibrations per lens.

I remember it was about SGD80 per calibration.

blaz7 said:
I remember it was about SGD80 per calibration.

Now increase to $150 already. Even with warranty, they only do 1 or 2 times free throughout 2.5 yrs, which is really bad. Canon allows unlimited in this area....

Bodhisattva said:
IIRC, based on what I read in the thread, it seems that there are 2 free calibrations per lens.

I think it only applies to lens with local warranty..

Diluted said:
I think it only applies to lens with local warranty..

Yes the 2 times free calibration only for local warranty set.

Yeah, buying from DD gives u 0 free calibration from sigma Singapore. But what I'm saying is that DD electronics promise to resolve any focusing issue when arises during warranty if the cause is manufacturing fault.

Yeah, buying from DD gives u 0 free calibration from sigma Singapore. But what I'm saying is that DD electronics promise to resolve any focusing issue when arises during warranty if the cause is manufacturing fault.

Must... not... be... tempted... to buy!

Took this out to the street, here are a few to share with you guys.

3_heroes.jpg

tricycle.jpg

concourse.jpg

This lens is really versatile :thumbsup: Of course it is even better for taking portraits.

pachero said:
Took this out to the street, here are a few to share with you guys.

This lens is really versatile :thumbsup: Of course it is even better for taking portraits.

Very sharp pics I must say. Straight out from the camera or pp?

is there any place where i can see the difference between the old and new smooth finish, google and see no results.

only managed to see the smooth finished from http://www.mylensdb.com/sigma-50mm-f1-4-ex-dg-hsm/

but any place to see both old and new sid by side, intend to get one from shop but want to be sure they are selling the new finished.

Last edited:
thanks teckhua, you are the man.:)

just a question, if we buy the sigma lens and sent the lens with our camera for calibration, what will they calibrate? calibration using our camera built in microadjustment or they physically open up the lens and do the adjustment in the lens?

Anyone notice that the new sigma smooth finish on the 50mm and 85mm are a bit more prone to get "oily" which cause dust to stick on the surface? Don't have this problem with my ex coating 50mm and 150mm.