Sigma 17-70 Upgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it Canon mount price?
Intend to get one for general walkabout lens.

i have tried this lens today and is canon mount and SLR quoted me S$726...and i can say that it is pretty sharp...

i have tried this lens today and is canon mount and SLR quoted me S$726...and i can say that it is pretty sharp...

Anyone knows the aperture breakdown??

i.e. 17- 24mm F2.8?
25- 35mm F3.2?
36- 50mm F3.5 ?
51- 70mm F4?

Think this lens will be a slayer against the EF 17-85 USM IS.

this lens can be a great alternative to the more expensive 15-85. and its faster too! do sigma lenses come with hoods?

how is the IQ??? i am thinking of tamron 17-50mm and sigma 17-70mm...so i wanted to see which IQ is better...

I would like to see the IQ difference too ( both new version with VC/OS) as well as the built quality to use it for a light walkabout lens as well.

anyone able to shed some light on this?

1. Anyone knows the pricing of this lens from local stores?

2. Anyone can share the aperture breakdown of the lens from 17 to 70mm?

is this thread about the new "sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM"..?

it says "macro", i'm kinda confused, so can it be use for normal shoots, or its purely macro, or is macro a function that can be enabled?

apologies for the noob question..;p but i'm really not sure, so checking it out, and hoping someone could tell me more about it.

thank you all! =)

it says "macro", i'm kinda confused, so can it be use for normal shoots, or its purely macro, or is macro a function that can be enabled?

apologies for the noob question..;p but i'm really not sure, so checking it out, and hoping someone could tell me more about it.

thank you all! =)

Can be used for anything. It says "Macro" because of its magnification ratio of 1:2.7

can anyone predict the price of this lens...?? i got the old 1 right now, and i really love this lens... with OS improvement, the shutter speed would be 4 stop slower... WOW... thats good for night shooting as well..

i'll just wait for the review about this lens.... hopefully its better than the old 1... :D

hi to all.

i have the 17-70mm sigma which ive been using for the past few mths since early September 2009.
its a nice,gd lens i must say like what Kingofnoobs said. Never once at all i dropped it,lens still in very gd condition/quality etc.
and with this new sigma lens,im sure it'll b better than the previous one.

having said that,im at a crossroad actually.

my question is,(i need some guidance/suggestions):
1) shd i get another lens like 70-200mm?
2) or shd i sell away this sigma 17-70mm n get something like the 18-200mm?

i find that i like portraits,landscape using wide angle,n also nature..in this case zooming in on animals etc..

im more inclined to using 3rd party lens especially sigma.
any kind soul can enlighten me? thanks in advance.

this lens can be a great alternative to the more expensive 15-85. and its faster too! do sigma lenses come with hoods?

yes sigma lens like the old 17-70mm comes with hood. :)

the old one is sharp,i cant wait to see the newer one which is sharper in my opinion. ;)

the new version 17-70mm i have tested in the shop pretty sharp..and very tempting to get it..

thank you all! =)

Macro means you can get pretty close to the object without focusing failure.

any idea at which point when f/ drop to 3.5 & 4 ?

anymore feedbacks on this improvised lens? pics! pics! pics! :sweatsm:

I have it both, old 1 is sharp even @F2.8, stepping down to F5.0 even greater sharpness.

The new 1 other than the OS, CA is quite high, edge & corner sharpness is quite inferior to the old 1, also focusing lock in dim light is slightly slower, overall it's quite inferior to the old 1.

I bought the new 1 thinking of maybe the IQ is the same w/ added OS if not better, but it really a letdown for this OS version.

So, if any 1 need the OS version with HSM, it's does help in low shuttle speed, much silent
since it's a HSM, but will be disappointed with the IQ, unless don't intend to print large.

But then since it's a zoom lens, best is using it with a camera body that have AF-micro adjustment, most zoom lens will have variant front or back focus base on difference focal-length, need to note down the difference for better accuracy.

SLR R quoted 715 for pentax mount but no stock.

i feel like getting this upgraded sigma as a walkabt lens for my 7D. hmmm....had only gd experiences with the old non HSM OS version.

couldn't find a detailed review of this lens. i'm torn between this lens and tamron 17-50 2.8

What is the warranty given for sigma lenses when purchased locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.