Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM

Just got this lens....very sharp...
sample photo...

6678318015_17df4fe038.jpg

6678322285_5156883bb1.jpg

A noob question... this lens come with OS... so it does not have mount for camera that have built in IS??.... e.g. Pentax and Sony... And if they do, how?? Lens IS, Cam also IS.... so equal no IS?? :rolleyes::dunno:

Edited.... Okie read the Sigma webpage...... for Sony and Pentax mount, they no have the OS.... so the question is, will the lens be cheaper then?? Or is it the same lens they are offering??

Last edited:
okie just check with the friendly neighbor store.... stock not in yet for Penatx/Sony mount...... and the price is same for Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Sony, even though Pentax and Sony mount no OS..... wonder why????

Hi Guys, I really wants to buy this lens but I thought to rent it first as I had rent 17-55mm and 17-50mm Tamron therefore I wanna test this lens first. I had checked the commercial section already but nope have it. Any idea where I can rent it?

It's pretty soft if shooting wide open from 17-50. Although it has higher MTF charts then the Nikon 17-55, it's kinda odd that pictures are clearly sharper on the Nikon. ( I pixel peep in PS and shoot raw).

However, stopping down to F4 = tack sharp for the Sigma so I might replace my kit lens for this. The 17mm length is very good.

Getting this lens for those low light instances might not be much of a use as F2.8 pics are going to be softer. I wouldn't say I am disappointed but I expected more for a EX lens.

I got around the rotating AF ring however, just finger clamp on the rubber barrel and it wouldn't be in the way.

hi, im planning to buy this lens. which UV filter is recommended? thanks :)

reistarz said:

B+W if you have the cash. Nikon NC is good too. Hoya have different grades to suit your budget as well.

reistarz said:

No filter is the best

if no filter, den i have to clean the lens which i find it abit scary...lol

reistarz said:

Dun get u

reistarz said:

Lol. I think you refer to the front element.

may i know any review or feedback the diff bet the tamron and the sigma lens? 17-50

R1szuan said:
may i know any review or feedback the diff bet the tamron and the sigma lens? 17-50
sigma is very silent as compared to tamron.
The rest of the features is up to personal interpretation. E.g. sharpness.
I still find it usable at f2.8 despite people saying it to be less sharp at corners

I guess if one compare Sigma to Canon... the diff might not be that big for some and some may be sway to Canon and decision can be tough for some.... but compare Sigma and Nikon... the gap is like Grand Canyon.... unless got the moolah... else really the choice is clear.... just whether one still trust/thrust 3rd lens.... :devil:

Edited... SLRR boh stock... can get from CP... if pay cash, they can match SLRR price... actually CP can match competitor price, but need to pay cash.....

Last edited:
Hi guys just bought this lens today. Can I ask a really noob question. I cannot hear any sounds when I half depress the shutter so how can I know if my os is working fine? Plainly by shooting to test is a little subjective may I know if there is more certain way?