Sigma 105mm F2.8/Tamron 90mm F2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
XXXcat said:
yea, after shooting that grasshopper... ok, still thinking abt it... ;)

wow nic,
since when u start shooting hoppers??? ;)

A professional's advice: The brand name is not utmost important. What is important is your working distance and space. For the kind of work I am shooting, a 90mm, 100mm or 105mm macro lens is simply too long. Sometimes, I have to work in constrained spaces such as hotel or restaurant kitchens and bars, or small shops. Using a 90mm macro means that I have to stand quite far away from the subjects. This is simply not practical.

For me, I prefer a 55mm or 60mm macro, which I find myself use most of the time. Just something I will like to share with all.

photobum said:
A professional's advice: The brand name is not utmost important. What is important is your working distance and space. For the kind of work I am shooting, a 90mm, 100mm or 105mm macro lens is simply too long. Sometimes, I have to work in constrained spaces such as hotel or restaurant kitchens and bars, or small shops. Using a 90mm macro means that I have to stand quite far away from the subjects. This is simply not practical.

For me, I prefer a 55mm or 60mm macro, which I find myself use most of the time. Just something I will like to share with all.

true, but i think TS wanted to use that lens to shoot hopper or any other live insert, 90mm will be a much better choice as compared to 55/60mm because you won't have to go too near it. :thumbsup:

Yeah, sometimes I find 90mm i cannot get close enough to some shy insects...

yup, its a dilemma. too far away makes you have hard to frame the insect, while too near might scared off them. :confused:

T90 very sharp and affordable, add TC if you want it bigger, it's light enuff for handheld macro. Focus is slow though accurate. I normally manual focus.

ExplorerZ said:
true, but i think TS wanted to use that lens to shoot hopper or any other live insert, 90mm will be a much better choice as compared to 55/60mm because you won't have to go too near it. :thumbsup:

yup! i quite like to shoot insert. i realise after shooting hopper, insert is so beautiful. :)

XXXcat said:
yup! i quite like to shoot insert. i realise after shooting hopper, insert is so beautiful. :)

Insect or insert?:dunno:

ExplorerZ said:

I am not an insect shooter, so 90mm is overkill for me. As a full-time professional photographer, I don't have that kind of life or time to shoot insects.

For many insect shooter I know or encounter, however, they would rather go for 180mm or 200mm macro instead.

photobum said:

would you recommend using a reversed 50mm lens instead?

GmbH. said:
would you recommend using a reversed 50mm lens instead?

For what purpose? What are your subjects?

If you are dead poor, then my answer is yes. A used 55mm macro is roughly about $350 now.

photobum said:

photobum said:
I am not an insect shooter, so 90mm is overkill for me. As a full-time professional photographer, I don't have that kind of life or time to shoot insects.

For many insect shooter I know or encounter, however, they would rather go for 180mm or 200mm macro instead.

Hi can share why you need to shoot in kitchen and bars on macro? How come 90mm you need to stand quite far?
Thanks!

dominator said:
Hi can share why you need to shoot in kitchen and bars on macro? How come 90mm you need to stand quite far?
Thanks!

Food and beverage close-ups shots. That's why. I usually go on location especially when our studio does not have kitchen facilities.

Longer focal length mah. The longer the focal length, the further you'll have to shoot from your subjects. That's why I said earlier, 180mm and 200mm is ideal for insects because you do not have to stand too close otherwise you may scare them away.

photobum said:
Food and beverage close-ups shots. That's why. I usually go on location especially when our studio does not have kitchen facilities.

Longer focal length mah. Ther longer the focal length, the further you'll have to shoot from your subjects. That's why I said earlier, 180mm and 200mm is ideal for insects because you do not have to stand too close otherwise you may scare them away.

180mm and 200mm is of cos the best :thumbsup: for insect shooting, but i think it is because of the budget that keeps most people from getting T90 instead

ExplorerZ said:
180mm and 200mm is of cos the best :thumbsup: for insect shooting, but i think it is because of the budget that keeps most people from getting T90 instead

I don't think longer macro lenses are more expensive. An used Sigma 180mm macro cost around $550 last time I saw at TCW.

photobum said:
For what purpose? What are your subjects?

If you are dead poor, then my answer is yes. A used 55mm macro is roughly about $350 now.

say for still life or food photography?
would reverse lens be sufficient?

the Tamron is the best Macro lens. only a bit slow in the AF but for macro, I use manual most of the time.

thumbs up for the Tamron 90 f2.8 :thumbsup:

photobum said:
I don't think longer macro lenses are more expensive. An used Sigma 180mm macro cost around $550 last time I saw at TCW.

wow thats very low. i since people selling 2hand at 800-900.:think:

GmbH. said:
say for still life or food photography?
would reverse lens be sufficient?

It should be sufficient if your clients are not fussy. Still, nothing beats a real macro lens.

In the past, I have used an extension bellow with both Nikkor 50mm and 105mm AI lenses. Really nice results but you do lose some light along the process.

photobum said:
For those of you who are interested to get the Tamron 90mm macro (any camera mount) or any Tamron lenses, I may be able to get them at prices much lower than Cathay Photo, MS Color or Alan Photo. They all comes with the same 3 years local warranty from Tithes Marketing.

how much is a T90? interested to get 1 if price is good ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.