Shutter life of Olympus EM5

My EM-5 just went dead... I think it is the end of its shutter life... I can't turn it on... The shutter leaf is shut when I took out the lens... I guess the shutter leaf is jammed or is this what they called it, the end of its shutter life??? =(

that sucks man, and m43 don't have leaf shutter, that's the aperture, if it was shut when you took out the lens, my guess is that when you place it onto a working camera, it'll open back.

But it could be a multitude of reasons, like what Keith said, if you hit the shutter count, I gotta salute to you, I used my D3 for years, and before I got it, there was another guy using it, and I'm only hitting like 80k

Normally when I change lens, I see the sensor but now I see this covering my sensor... it is 'soft' so I don't even dare to try to open it...

20140629_230751_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, that seems to be a stuck shutter, have you changed the battery? Could be something else that failed, not that it has reached its lifespan. Shutters are soft

Yes. Tried all ways. Change battery, change lens, etc... no response... dead...

Yes. Tried all ways. Change battery, change lens, etc... no response... dead...
Just send in repair but ask for estimate quotation for repair before you give it a go.

Sorry I don't have time to go down to the service center yet. Will send it in next week...

Just sent the camera in. Was told that it is shuttle faulty. Est cost $180. Got parts 5 working days, no parts will call me... =(

Just sent the camera in. Was told that it is shuttle faulty. Est cost $180. Got parts 5 working days, no parts will call me... =(

$180 is ok :) considering u r getting back a camera ready to go for another few years.

Hopefully they can fix it before my son's birthday... =D

GM1 is my backup now...

Thanks! Will update you guys on the repair work. I am wondering if there is any warranty on the repair work done?

Thanks! Will update you guys on the repair work. I am wondering if there is any warranty on the repair work done?

6 months :)
Unless they have changed their policy.

So is there any thing to do with 'shutter life' and 'shutter faulty'? And what happens when a camera reaches its 'shutter life'?

So is there any thing to do with 'shutter life' and 'shutter faulty'? And what happens when a camera reaches its 'shutter life'?

Yours prob looks like a stuck shutter to me for which it can happen for a multitude of reasons and I see it as a faulty shutter.

For a camera to reach the end of its shutter life , I guess the other components will have already failed first. Some have said that some signs are weird color banding or black images as symptoms which I have never verified myself as I have never shot a camera until it's end of shutter life.

Most of us , unless u r a professional level user probably don't even hit half of a camera's estimated shutter life before selling it nowadays.

My EM-5 is back and working now! $180 of repair cost. I hope it can last before my next camera....