[ Showcase ] Share your Birding Shots With M43

Hi all,

caught this kf at botanic gardens with my olympus em-10 with 75-300mm lens

it was a rainy morning so the sky was gloomy.

F6.7
Speed 1/400
ISO 2500
Focal length 281mm (563 equi)

Cheers,
Jen

Taken last week with EM-5 + 75-300mm MK1 @ 300mm, handheld

2 Black Swans
p3223407_std.jpg

Sparrow
p3223437_std.jpg

Woodpecker
p3223488_std.jpg

Woodpecker
p3223504_std.jpg

nice shots.

Hi Guys,

Olympus is a wonderful system and I've been enjoying so much with it. Here are a few pictures --> www.photosmoment.com then go to Portfolio under Birds or Wildlife. Those want to know more, I am happy to share...good luck and have fun!

PS: My apologies I did not post the images here because I do not know how.

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures using my 300 f2.8mm lens w/wo 1.4/2xTC on my E-M1/E-5...taken without cropping, only photoshopped on exposures and a tiny bit on sharpness. I just love it especially the colors! Enjoy guys! Sorry again, I do not know how to post pictures here otherwise I blow BIG BIG and still maintain details...simply amazing lens the 300mm is!!! :)

http://photosmoment.com/p726674850/h16c24c36#h9aed1d
http://photosmoment.com/p726674850/h16c24c36#h132f9939
http://photosmoment.com/p726674850/h16c24c36#h1e10f7cf
http://photosmoment.com/p726674850/h16c24c36#h2952673b
http://photosmoment.com/p726674850/h16c24c36#h24ef2f85

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures using my 300 f2.8mm lens w/wo 1.4/2xTC on my E-M1/E-5...taken without cropping, only photoshopped on exposures and a tiny bit on sharpness. I just love it especially the colors! Enjoy guys! Sorry again, I do not know how to post pictures here otherwise I blow BIG BIG and still maintain details...simply amazing lens the 300mm is!!! :)

Jet,

Did you say you used a 1.4 2xTC on your M4/3 body?

I am still new to M4/3. In another forum, Keith informed that Olympus body has a built-in function for 2X digital zoom of which I try out (my wife's) E-PL5.
I am interested in birding and currently using a bridge camera. Other than soft IQ, when I zoom to the max, I can only use the Auto mode hence I plan to switch to a fully manual camera body.

I plan to invest a M4/3 zoom lens and try out. Due to my current stealth skill no good, the closest I ever get to the birding subject (brown shrike) was about 15m of which I think the normal 600mm, the bird image maybe a bit small. Hence I like to find out more on tele-converter.

Thank You
EisMann

Jet,

Did you say you used a 1.4 2xTC on your M4/3 body

I am still new to M4/3. In another forum, Keith informed that Olympus body has a built-in function for 2X digital zoom of which I try out (my wife's) E-PL5.
I am interested in birding and currently using a bridge camera. Other than soft IQ, when I zoom to the max, I can only use the Auto mode hence I plan to switch to a fully manual camera body.

I plan to invest a M4/3 zoom lens and try out. Due to my current stealth skill no good, the closest I ever get to the birding subject (brown shrike) was about 15m of which I think the normal 600mm, the bird image maybe a bit small. Hence I like to find out more on tele-converter.

Thank You
EisMann

Yes the Olympus OMD E-M5, E-M1 & the former E-5 are all 2x on the body. Hence if you placed a 300mm f2.8 lens on any of these bodies, you effectively get a 600mm f2.8. As far as I am aware, Canon, Nikon and Sony do not have a 600mm f2.8 lens yet. In addition, I am placing a 1.4 OR 2x teleconverters, this means I have a 1200mm f5.6 with a 2xTC.

I was a Canon 1D series user for 6 years and owning almost all L-lenses (you name it, I have it). Ever since I switched to Olympus, I have no regrets. In fact, buying more Oly lenses now :) Each brand / system has its pros and cons, there is no "perfect" system today, just preferences. For Olympus, when shooting birds, you must get close, the closer you are to the subject, the more detail you get i.e. try not to crop please. Cropping will only lose more details. That explains why the MFD is very short for most of the Olympus BIG lenses which gives them its edge. The noise management part are not great compared to Nikon or Canon. But Olympus has produced one of the most natural color! If you like my pictures, you will like Olympus....see my wildlife pictures too.

The TCs on Olympus actually work much better than the Canon ones. They are really amazing 1.4 or 2x TC - IQ wise, I really cannot tell the difference using Oly TC or not but on the Canon 1.4TC still manageable and not the 2xTC as you can tell the IQ loss. The only thing about TCs are they cut your stops which means on a Olympus, it will not works that well at night. This is not a problem when you shoot in daytime.

Hope this helps!

:)

Last edited:
Jet,

I called Olympus Singapore today.
The customer service told me that they did not have teleconverter for M4/3 body (for this case E-PL5). They told me it might be a 3rd party equipment.
Another I found out, they did not sell the 4/3 lenses anymore when I enquired about the 300mm F2.8 prime lens.

I will try out this weekend shooting mynahs and pigeon around my block with 150mm kit lens and the built in 2X.
Once I can handle the function buttons well, I will invest in the 75mm~300mm Mark II M-Zuiko lens and EVF and join in the M4/3 club.
And I have surplus fund, will go for EM1 eventually.........

BTW that was a nice head shot of the macaw. I like to have the same head shot of a golden eagle in the near future too.

Thank You
EisMann

Jet, I called Olympus Singapore today. The customer service told me that they did not have teleconverter for M4/3 body (for this case E-PL5). They told me it might be a 3rd party equipment. Another I found out, they did not sell the 4/3 lenses anymore when I enquired about the 300mm F2.8 prime lens. I will try out this weekend shooting mynahs and pigeon around my block with 150mm kit lens and the built in 2X. Once I can handle the function buttons well, I will invest in the 75mm~300mm Mark II M-Zuiko lens and EVF and join in the M4/3 club. And I have surplus fund, will go for EM1 eventually......... BTW that was a nice head shot of the macaw. I like to have the same head shot of a golden eagle in the near future too. Thank You EisMann
Yes. The 300mm is a legacy lens now since the emerging of OMDs. I once went to the service center just a month ago and the service person at the counter told me that they are no longer looking for an upgrade of the E5 4/3 system so I suppose Oly is focusing on MFT moving forward. I know you are using EPL 5 but the body is never the same compared to E-M1. With a great lens, you probably want to match it up with a good body to get optimal results. Yes, 75-300 is a great option for birding.

I am not sure if Olympus Singapore is selling the 300mm f2.8. I bought my lens from U.S. It is a lot cheaper. You might want to use this with an adaptor to the MFT bodies which I am using currently. Thanks for your kind comments, I will post more later...😆 Btw these are just my thoughts. Thanks!

Jet

Last edited:
Rufous Backed Kingfisher in further details... taken with EM1 and SHG 300mm F2.8
Panti lighting is not great, but I managed to shoot at ISO100 F4.0 here & you can see for yourself what Oly system can do here.
In my view... this lens best used by itself without TC.

$13995572424_2bc32318c6_b.jpg

Attachments

• $13995572424_2bc32318c6_z.jpg
    $13995572424_2bc32318c6_z.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 15
Some more to share.... Using 4/3 lens on OMD body will slow down its focusing, I realize the lens is just good enough to use by itself with the more resolving power of EM-1.

$4.jpg

Attachments

• $4.jpg
    $4.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 12
  • $4.jpg
    $4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: